Want a Unimog for build ...help

Happykamper

Explorer
So I've seen lots of Mogs built as motorhome style expo rigs.
My wife and I have more then the itch ...more like poison ivy !
Want the right rig for us.

Cab can be single as we travel together with two mid sized doodles or maybe an extracab , double cab type would be better.
Want a diesel .
Want to sustain 65mph
Wheel base large enough to put at least a queen bed . Couch, fully contained , meaning bathroom , galley , cabinets gun safe . Want to get 25mpg .....kidding !!!!

Coach area seperate from cab .

Really we need some help picking right platform.

Any help will be appreciated

Neil

Observer
A constant 65mph is really going some in unimog or similar.

On a Mog you would have to make sure you had fast axles or the overdrive unit or maybe both if its possible.
Most of us with larger trucks get usedcto andxare quite happy at 50- 55 mph on tge highways . It comfortable and better on the fuel

Neil

www.cloud9isborn.blogspot.com

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Are you looking for a already build rig? If not, give us a call, we can set up out with a lightweight rugged composite camper box.

evilfij

Explorer
What I gleaned from hours of reading and the helpful thread above:

65 constant is hard, but can be done with AV super fast ring and pinions and a turbo motor with some tuning on 365 80 R20 tires. This limits you to 6 lug axle mogs.
For higher capacity and better axles, you can go to the U1700 range, but the fast axles are not that fast and even with 395 85 R20 tires, you are at the limit of speed.
If you want modern, you want a US U500 which will cruise at 65 and is more civilized, but is much more complicated and expensive both to buy and fix (low miles one is $125k in classifieds) and you will need a frame stretch for a big box.
Double/extended cab mogs are very rare and command an insane premium.
Campers can be had reasonably, but most are very expensive.

In short: Deploy money cannon for a nice, fully sorted, mog camper that will do 65mph sustained.

Me I just want a mog that amounts to be fancy pickup that will do 65 and look cool.

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
Forget 65 mph in a Mog. It is stupid and dangerous. Mog sized tires are pretty much all speed limited to 55mph.
What is your budget? Compete truck or chassis only?

foxhunter

Adventurer
I just came back from La Junta,Co, where I bought U1400 from Rob Pickering at Terry Lee Enterprises. He has several nice mogs ready to be turned into Rv's. I think there were at least three there that were 4 door. Forget about 65 mph in a mog unless you get a U500.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I just came back from La Junta,Co, where I bought U1400 from Rob Pickering at Terry Lee Enterprises. He has several nice mogs ready to be turned into Rv's. I think there were at least three there that were 4 door. Forget about 65 mph in a mog unless you get a U500.

He even has the panels to build you a camper :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Want a diesel ... Want to sustain 65mph...... Really we need some help picking right platform.....

Just throwing another option into the equation here.... Have you looked at 4x4 trucks instead of Mogs? Lots of LHD options in Europe, Mercedes have plenty to choose from.. Old to new, price dependant... I went down the 4x4 truck route as Mogs (tho awesome) demand huge money, have limited platform space due to a bonneted cab, and are quite high once a box is mounted atop... Here's a pic of my suggestion... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 9

Happykamper

Explorer
A thank you all, I kind of thought 65 was a bit to ask for . 55 will do as were retired and don't need to be anywhere time specific lol. I guess that's the plus.
Single cab might still work but double will still be best. And as for the money cannon I am loading it as we speak lol.
I guess it comes down to you get what you pay for.
I am reading and looking at videos both supplied here , again many thanks ! And that I gleamed from other sites. By the way this site has and probably always will be the most helpful.
I will follow up with the dealer in Colorado.

Happykamper

Explorer
Although the thought of a trip to Europe would be great. As for RHD or LHD. It does not matter my Nissan Patrol is RHD and I find it both fun and humorous as folks tend to double take here in the states.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya
Just for info, a member here who has a NA spec U500 I believe has said that the 395/85 R20 XZLs as supplied new are the same as any other. Michelin gave permission for the high top speed possible on that specific truck at certain pressures, despite those tyre sidewalls saying 55mph.
XZLs seem to be the tyre of choice on the Dakar for trucks too. I had a close look at a Red Bull Man Kat 1 on 16.00 R20 XZLs whose altered engine and gearbox gave something like 80mph with 8th still to go :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles