Wandering the West in a pickup

gtbensley

Explorer
Great pictures and information!! My wife and I are headed that way in two weeks from NH and hope to be doing the Dakotas. Keep the updates coming if you have them!!

SHoll

Great pictures and information!! My wife and I are headed that way in two weeks from NH and hope to be doing the Dakotas. Keep the updates coming if you have them!!
Awesome! The Dakota's were cool. I was surprised at how much I liked the Black Hills. I'm very far behind on posts as I'm so busy traveling. However, I'll try to keep posting. If you have questions feel free to ask

SHoll

After exploring the Black Hills I continued west to Devil's Tower. I can't speak on much about. I was just there to walk the short trail around it, take some pictures, and leave. I didn't camp at the NPS campground. I drove 40 min SW to Keyhole state park. I would definitely recommend staying here. Very quiet, not expensive. From there I went to the Little Bighorn battlefield. This is of course late August but while I was there it was extremely windy and about 56°. I just drove around the battlefield and went in the visitors center. If you are a history nerd like me you'd appreciate stopping by, but bring a jacket.

20180826_175227.jpg

SHoll

Montana was not like I expected, but to be fair when I was there it was overcast and with the exception of Billings, I had only seen interstate. I hung around Billings (because I was sick) for 2 days. I managed to take the time for an oil change here too. Everyone was very nice in town. If you go, drive up the hillside towards the airport and lookout over the city. I continued towards my main destination of the trip: Yellowstone.

SHoll

I took the Beartooth highway into the park. I'd HIGHLY recommend it. One of the coolest highways I've been on, right with million dollar. At the peak there was snow on the ground and the entire way up and back down was gorgeous. The Alpine tundra is spectacular and not something found where I'm from.

20180828_160249.jpg20180828_172228.jpg20180828_165113.jpg20180828_181110.jpg

There are several forest service roads you can take, including a fire tower. The views from it are insane. Unfortunately, none will upload to ExPo.

SHoll

Just some quick posts as I relax a little while in Fort Worth. If you have questions about where I've been, especially where you should go, conditions, campsites, etc. Please feel free. I've done 9k miles in just under 2 months. I've seen the posts you see previously, plus Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada (Vegas), New Mexico, and now Texas. I'll try and get better on how often I update.

SHoll

I saw everything there was to see in Yellowstone and it is easy to see why it is arguably the most or at least on eof the most talked about and beloved national parks. I went at a good time of year. There were still a good amount of tourists but not overwhelming/cant park anywhere numbers. If you are a science nerd and love all the geothermal activity this is your place. There are so many pools and none are the same. I prefer just awe inspiring scenery and wildlife, so Yellowstone was good, but I have other parks I would rather return to before coming back here. I did not get a chance to fly fish or hike trails in the park, but I covered all the basic "must see" locations and drove every road. After Yellowstone I went South for the Grand Tetons which I did enjoy more.

SHoll

so, I havent posted in a long time. I seem to get distracted with life easily. Regardless, I will try and post a few pictures here and there and if there is somewhere you have questions about or want to see more pictures of let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles