Wandering in CA

suntinez

Explorer
Baja, central coast

Yep, I'd never seen one before - pretty clever setup.

Jack & Debi had invited me to Baja months ago, so we were (ahem) ready. After all the planning is done, shopping completed, rigs packed, insurance acquired etc etc - things slow down considerably. I think the hardest part of any trip is just getting up and leaving.

We crossed through Tijuana, dinner in Ensenada and an overnight stop a bit south. We still had a ways to go, but we were moving. It's best not to have too critical a schedule down here.

In El Rosario is a semi-required gas stop for both north and southbound traffic. When we arrived, no one was pumping and maybe 50 vehicles in line. The Pemex was having electrical problems. You can't skip this stop for the next station down the road, so we waited. People are out of their rides and chatting, why not? Things should be back online “soon”. I call this ‘island time' and we're definitely on it now.

There are maybe 1000 people in my hometown on a busy day. While waiting for the pumps, someone from home rolls up. Seriously? I walk my dog by his house every day. He'd been down kayaking with friends for a couple of weeks and was on his way home.

1e.jpg

His friends had shifted from the laid back Baja mentality to the “we're in overdrive to get home” mindset and were getting frustrated with the delay. He hadn't shifted gears yet, and I almost talked him into heading south again with us. Maybe an hour after arriving, we got our gas and were on the road again.

1f.jpg

Just before sunset, we arrive at Jack's place. There is a first-gear climb on what I would guess is a 25% or better grade to get over to the beach. The road ends in a little bluff a few feet above a sandy beach.

z1_zps3370c871.jpg

z4_zps0d225afb.jpg

I didn't realize things were turning to sand so quickly. I pulled forward to get a better angle to back up on, and immediately got stuck. Oh well! I didn't much care, I was pretty level. I stayed stuck in my spot for a couple days before bothering to get out.

1g.jpg

Casa Azul commanding the bluff

CasaAzul.jpg

When we got there, Chris (BajaTaco) was already setup down on the beach. He'd arrived a couple days before, and stayed a week longer than planned. Clocks just seem to run slower here.

Z1.jpg

We pretty much had the place to ourselves, just a few surfers from the nearby camp while the swell was up.

z3_zpsbe662a4c.jpg

z2_zps58aa7d7c.jpg

I wound up staying 2 weeks longer than planned. After a couple weeks I needed water, propane, and to extend my insurance, so headed into Guerrero Negro to handle that. Chris and I stayed there a couple of days, I wanted to go whale watching and he continued south on his way to central America.

Meanwhile, Robb, Cat and Bella (blupaddler) came down from San Diego in their new-to-them SMB.

ESMB.jpg

Chris surprised us by showing up again on Jack's birthday, a change of plans for him. Over the years, Jack has gotten involved with the community and knows quite a few locals, so we had a big ole birthday bash for him.

Z6.jpg

We stayed for 3 weeks and had an absolute blast. Many tortillas, cervezas, anejo and pescado were harmed during our stay. Tidepooling, hiking, surfing, lots of bocce, exploring the area and some plans for world-domination were discussed. My velcro dog underwent a complete personality change and wandered off playing with the many pups that came to visit the beach. I even had to go looking for her once.

Bocce was pretty much a daily event, one day we even remembered to bring the cameras with us. With Chris sporting a pair of Goal Zero speakers and Boogaloo radio providing the soundtrack, we were good to go.

Chris' video:

That's all I have to say about that - I realize not much for a 3 week trip. But world domination plans have be kept on the DL.

You can see Jack's thread here, Chris' blog here, Robb's pics here and my pics here.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
What a sucky place to get stuck.:drool: I haven't been down to Baja since '99 and the itch is getting pretty bad. I am trying to talk the wife and kids into going this next spring for a two week spring break. My oldest son just started high school and is taking spanish so he is all ready to go practice his espanol.:)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Bravo! I really enjoyed the write-up, and remembering the good times. Thanks!

BTW... VikingVince is riding a motorcycle... too cool :) Glad to see a glimpse of him in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94