Wandering handymen Cheap camp/work trailer build

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I should not be allowed to get bored..

I needed a smaller trailer to work from. My 14x7 is too big to get in most residential driveways and work.

So..$150..$40 in paint and lights..looked better all black...did some work her first day..then decided after seeing another build to give it a facelift and prep it for a camp/work trailer. So $70 in new lumber and stain/poly it's in much nicer shape!!

Tuesday im gonna order the steel for a rack..and probably buy another welder..some springs and 30 in tires...(might use adapters to go to 8 lug and use my sawblades rims..)

All in all..not a bad 2 days of goofing off.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Ack..no update!!

Got 4 ranger wheels with new tires off Craigslist..quick rattle can and a panic when I thought the wheel studs were not long enough!!

Got my Coleman 13x15 screen tent out and repaired from when the horses on assateague island maryland leaned on it one night..but it doesn't have a rain fly..and it's not very wind proof..so I will take it but not 100% its gonna be the shade option.

Really tempered to spend the $130 and buy an awning like a buddy has so i can mount it permanent and use my 2500x2500 ARB room.

Spare tire mounted and still able to open the jeep rear door most of the way and get the glass open.

Still brainstorming roof racks and fold down work platforms..

Reactions: WVI

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Quick progress today on the trailer..in less than an hour the whole rack was cut and assembled. The next hour was making brackets so that both of the awnings can get extended up about another foot in height. I'm going to be using my ARB room the camp out of so I decided to go ahead and keep both awnings that I bought off of eBay even though they are not eight foot two if they're supposed to be there only 7 foot 9. I miscounted on eyeboIts, need to get four more using the nutserts with a spring load to help keep them in place I need to get some longer brackets to bolt the awning itself to the lifter arms. All in all it's still got less than $800 in this whole trailer with two awnings

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
The awnings are a knock off and $130 a piece that's probably the biggest expense I've had deciding to keep both of them. Current tally is 150 for the trailer. $70 in Lumber and stain for the sides. About $20 in paint. $100 for a matching set of 4 rims with almost brand new tires. $25 for LED lighting a new wiring. And about $140 Unistrut and nuts and bolts. I think I'm going to pick up some painter canvas tarps soak them in water proofing and make my own cover for it.

About $750 Total..not bad..

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Lost Boys camp is open for business..2 8x8 awnings that extend up 10 inches..the arb room does work very nicely...gotta put in the flag pole brackets..

BANGARANG!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Little mods make a big difference...

Dropped the rack 4 holes and nipped off 6in overall height..i think it looks better ( it looked too tall behind the Jeep) I also discovered that it's the perfect width for a set of maxtrax and the hi-lift jack fits perfectly right by in the spare tire between the box sides

Making plans to do a canvas cover for it as well 30 bucks for a waterproof canvas cover yeah I think that's worth it even if it all it does is keep Road dust and big chunks of mud off the storage boxes

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I got JACKED!!

So much nicer to move the trailer around.

Tomorrow its going to work...cast iron bathtub and shower surround are getting demoed so i can renovate a clients bathroom..should show me any issues with the new configuration!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Totally forgot!!!

Van was inoperable for MOAF Mid Atlantic overland festival so I took the jeep and trailer.

Driving thru the hills of Pennsylvania kinda sucks but she did fine towing the trailer loaded down with gear and storage boxes to sell.

Dual awnings were AWSOME!! My crew and I setup for a maximum shade profile and my arb room worked flawless!!

I need to make some unistrut flag holders thou..very proud of how well this little trailer works!!

Took her a week ago to get a friend a topper for his trailer build. Slipped right inside for the ride!!

WVI

Adventurer
Just came across this thread...not sure how I missed it.
I've been contemplating doing the same type of thing with a small ut I have.

SO glad you mentoned wheel adapters!
I can't find a set 5.5 lug rims anywhere around here.
Found an Ebay add for adapters to go to 16" rims in the same pattern as the van.and I already have extras!
I may have to mod the trailer a bit to make them fit, but that's fine at this point.