Wallcovering - Looking for input & ideas

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
I am in the middle of my build of a composite foam core sandwich XV. Basically a boat on wheels.

However, I am now ready to begin sourcing some kind of material for a wall covering. I hope to just glue it directly on the walls with some sort of stray or contact cement.

Some of the parameters I have are:
(1) Won't promote or support mold growth
(2) Light
(3) Easy/suitable for DIY
(4) Durable

My last sprinter had a fabric weave (Interweave I think) but, I am worried about condensation and possible mold issues. Older boats often end up with a funky smell becasue of this.

I have been looking at "pleather" as an option.

Jump in folks. Thanks for the ideas.

There is always just an epoxy paint. But, I thought that might be a little "cold" and I could come up with something better.

I am not too sure what shape your interior walls consists of, with gentle curves the vinyl upholstery fabric would be an option. Depending on how well the surfaced is finished, vinyl wrapping with graphics or texture is also possible.

Have you considered adding texture to the glass before epoxy painting, here are two samples I played around with for my camper,

IMG_20160917_001616.jpg

IMG_20160917_001823.jpg

I may end up rolling on a textured polyurethane finish similar to drywall orange peel and paint over that to save finishing time and hide imperfections

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I'm about to start a build of a tiny slide in camper built like a boat as well. I've been thinking about internal surface coverings. I like the vinyl you linked to. I think the textured 'woven' vinyl could be interesting. You could maybe have it sprayed with truck bed liner too...they can adjust the texture or even make it pretty darn smooth if you want. At least I've seen smooth boat hulls done this way...not sure about a complex interior space. I wonder how cold that would seem? Maybe contrast it with a few choice wood accents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trestle

Chiliwich makes wall coverings. I have been looking at this one: https://www.chilewich.com/contract/upholstery/upholstery_fabrics/mini_basketweave

From their literature:

- Contains Microban® antimicrobial protection, which works continuously for the lifetime of the product to inhibit the growth of stain and odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew. Microban® is ideal for any healthcare, hospitality, home or office environment where mold and mildew are a concern.

javajoe79

Fabricator
That’s the thing. I haven’t really found a source but I’ve seen several companies that sell it through distributors.

ExpoMike

Chiliwich makes wall coverings. I have been looking at this one: https://www.chilewich.com/contract/upholstery/upholstery_fabrics/mini_basketweave

From their literature:

- Contains Microban® antimicrobial protection, which works continuously for the lifetime of the product to inhibit the growth of stain and odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew. Microban® is ideal for any healthcare, hospitality, home or office environment where mold and mildew are a concern.

I actually ordered some samples from them. Very interesting stuff. Kind of a "soft plastic" feel to it. Likely very easy to clean but will not have a "warm" feeling as it will be whatever the ambient temperature is.

ski_bike_camp

Ski_Bike_Camp
Would you mind sharing the sources you have found for FRP paneling. I'm beginning to research an FRP build myself.
Sorry, I just found this unanswered question ... You might be done or already well on your way with your build.

In the end I was not able to find anyone that could deliver FRP panels for a reasonable price and weight versus doing it myself. So, we built a vacuum table and made our own. Carbon fiber skins, epoxy and divynicell foam core (which is structural).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles