Walky Talkies for trails?

HanzoSteel

Explorer
I think FRS radios will do fine, even in a large convoy you will always be able to relay from front to rear. If you do go with FRS radios make sure you all get the Motorola, they use the frequency standard. Some off brand radios have some of the frequencies different, where channels aren't going to be on the same frequency as the Motorola.

93BLAZER

Explorer
I dont mean to hijack the thread but....

Does anyone have a list of the FRS frequencies?

I'm talking about the small Motorola "talk about" radios.

I Googled it and found the list, but was unable to find the frequencies for the specific channel.

ie When the radio display is set on channel "1" with a security channel ( If I recall that's the term used- "security channel") of let's say "14"?

HanzoSteel

Explorer
I dont mean to hijack the thread but....

I'm talking about the small Motorola "talk about" radios.

I Googled it and found the list, but was unable to find the frequencies for the specific channel.

ie When the radio display is set on channel "1" with a security channel ( If I recall that's the term used- "security channel") of let's say "14"?

http://sarinfo.bc.ca/Library/Communications/MotorollaFRSspecifications.htm

93BLAZER

Explorer
Thanks for the link. I saw that when I Googled earlier.

My question is that let's say my FRS Motorola Talk About is on channel 3 (462.6125 - according to the link provided) does the frequency change when I switch my "security" or "privacy" channel from let's say 1 to 5?

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
SWR, I saw that Midland radio at my local Radioshack for 29.99 but didnt know if it was a good one, I think I may go back and pick it up.

Also, that seems like a pretty good deal on the antenna, where would you suggest mounting it? On the roof? Or could I make a bracket off the fender?

Is there another type that would be relatively short and could mount between the fender and hood. Do I need a "No ground plane" model for that? I broke off my last one that was mounted on the bumper so it would be nice to have this one mounted where I could keep an eye on it if I was going through a gnarly section or something.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳

This has all been discussed on this forum before if you search it.

GMRS/FRS Radio Channels
CH GMRS/FRS Freq (MHz) SubCH Freq (Hz) SubCH Freq (Hz)
1 Both 462.5625 1 67.0 20 131.8
2 Both 462.5875 2 71.9 21 136.5
3 Both 462.6125 3 74.4 22 141.3
4 Both 462.6375 4 77.0 23 146.2
5 Both 462.6625 5 79.7 24 151.4
6 Both 462.6875 6 82.5 25 156.7
7 Both 462.7125 7 85.4 26 162.2
8 FRS 467.5625 8 88.5 27 167.9
9 FRS 467.5875 9 91.5 28 173.8
10 FRS 467.6125 10 94.8 29 179.9
11 FRS 467.6375 11 97.4 30 186.2
12 FRS 467.6625 12 100.0 31 192.8
13 FRS 467.6875 13 103.5 32 203.5
14 FRS 467.7125 14 107.2 33 210.7
15 GMRS 462.5500 15 110.9 34 218.1
16 GMRS 462.5750 16 114.8 35 225.7
17 GMRS 462.6000 17 118.8 36 233.6
18 GMRS 462.6250 18 123.0 37 241.8
19 GMRS 462.6500 19 127.3 38 250.3
20 GMRS 462.6750
21 GMRS 462.7000
22 GMRS 462.7250

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader

My question is that let's say my FRS Motorola Talk About is on channel 3 (462.6125 - according to the link provided) does the frequency change when I switch my "security" or "privacy" channel from let's say 1 to 5?

I don't know the technical minutia of the 'privacy' channels, and I'm sure someone will fill in the details, but they are not separate channels or separate frequencies. The frequency remains unchanged.

'Privacy' is really a misnomer, and may be misleading. It's really 'selective hearing.' It does't limit who can hear you. It instead limits who you can hear.

Using the code doesn't scramble or change the transmission, other than to include a 'key.'

If you leave the code unset on your radio, or have older radios that don't have that option, you will hear all radios on the freq., whether they are using the code or not.

If you have the code set on your radio you will only be able to hear radios that have the same code set. That's why I call it selective hearing.

There is no ‘privacy' to it.

I really don't like this particular technology. Traditional radio etiquette dictates that you monitor a freq. for a couple of minutes before you start using it, in order to ensure no one else is using it. If you use the code, you can't hear other users on that freq., and will end up talking right over them. Very rude in my opinion.

Sorry for the longwinded hijack-continuation, but this is a bit of a sore spot for me...

Last edited:

Crookthumb

Adventurer
If a handheld CB is going to be used, mount an antenna outside the cab and run a coaxial cable into the cab near the dash or center console to connect into the antenna mount on the hand-held. This way if they are not committed to cut or drill into the dash area to install a mobile rig or there just isn't a great place to install one then they don't have to, but they will get better range from the handheld. There are other options for mobile rigs that don't have to have the unit and faceplate in sight, everything is controlled through the mic.

L1030079.JPG

Here is an example of a HAM HT (picture from EE), but you can use the same concept for the handheld CB.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Please note that ANY of the FRS/GMRS radio will require a FCC issued license on some of the channels. Typically, 7 channels are license free the rest require a license to legally operate

gary in ohio

Explorer

There are NO requirement for channel 3 to be 462.6125 on all radio's. There are specific frequencies and most manufactures have standardized on what the channels are but not all.

The privacy seating has nothing to do with privacy. Its just a tone that will allow you to hear others with the tone, If you turn the tone all everyone can hear you. The same signal is transmitted regardless of the "security" setting.

93BLAZER

Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. Again, I didnt want to hijack the thread but too late I guess.

I don't know the technical minutia of the 'privacy' channels, and I'm sure someone will fill in the details, but they are not separate channels or separate frequencies. The frequency remains unchanged.

'Privacy' is really a misnomer, and may be misleading. It's really 'selective hearing.' It does't limit who can hear you. It instead limits who you can hear.

Using the code doesn't scramble or change the transmission, other than to include a 'key.'

If you leave the code unset on your radio, or have older radios that don't have that option, you will hear all radios on the freq., whether they are using the code or not.

If you have the code set on your radio you will only be able to hear radios that have the same code set. That's why I call it selective hearing.

There is no ‘privacy' to it.

I really don't like this particular technology. Traditional radio etiquette dictates that you monitor a freq. for a couple of minutes before you start using it, in order to ensure no one else is using it. If you use the code, you can't hear other users on that freq., and will end up talking right over them. Very rude in my opinion.

Sorry for the longwinded hijack-continuation, but this is a bit of a sore spot for me...

I understand that. I understood that the transmission is not blocked or scrambled but just wanted to know basically how to plug the appropriate freq into my 8900 to monitor.

Anyways, I just wanted to monitor a Motorola Talkabout radio on my 8900. So If I plug in the appropriate freq ( I was using Channel 3 as an example) in this case 462.6125, that I have the ability to hear the transmission if that "privacy" channel is set.

Last edited:

HanzoSteel

Explorer
Anyways, I just wanted to monitor a Motorola Talkabout radio on my 8900. So If I plug in the appropriate freq ( I was using Channel 3 as an example) in this case 462.6125, that I have the ability to hear the transmission if that "privacy" channel is set.

Yes you will be able to hear the freq even if they put it on "Privacy".

yubert

Explorer
SWR, I saw that Midland radio at my local Radioshack for 29.99 but didnt know if it was a good one, I think I may go back and pick it up.
\

FYI, Amazon has that Midland 1001Z CB radio for $30.75 with free shipping, no sales tax. But if you can wait, Amazon seems to fluctuate the price depending on which way the wind blows, I got one last year for under $26.

Another nice low-end CB radio is the Uniden 510XL. The size is about the same as the Midland but the height is about 1/4" smaller which makes it easier to install. Also the Uniden feels better built than the Midland, the case is metal whereas Midland is plastic. But the Midland does have a PA system. Amazon currently sells this for $36, I got it last year for $34.

Rev

Adventurer
Note that the CB discussions above assume an external antena. Don't let your friends get a handheld CB with just a rubber ducky antenna, and try to use that for vehicle-to-vehicle communications.

I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles