Wagonofdoom - 2015 Outback build

Jzsquared

Freshlikesushi

I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I am making a final decision on which outback to buy and because of my dogs I need the rear A/C vents. Could you pop out that plastic tray in the rear of the center counsel to see if the air channels are there and just the vent are not included. Sometimes on cars all options are installed at the factory to save money then applied to higher end cars.
I know it's a strange request but I don't want leather and need rear vents for the pups.
Thanks in advance.

msmith99

As I recall there is no duct work in place in the center console on the Premium. I had the cover off to put some 12V and USB jacks on the back of the console.

4xpedition

Outback Decided

Honestly

not much has changed

just out there having fun with people
super happy with the car and its ability
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

Let me just say this, Grant. I've been watching your build all over the net for a few years now. I have owned three Jeeps, a JK Unlimited X back in 2007 the first year they came out with a lift and 33s, a JK unlimited Sport when they upgraded the engine in 2012, and most recently a JK Unlimited Rubicon with 4:10 gearing 3" lift and 35" BFG MTs that I used to pull behind it a Horizon Adventure Trailer. I am no rock crawler. I have never had any interest in taking my Jeeps out to "see what they can do". I have explored just about every place in Arizona that I could have wanted to and have had countless exceptional overland adventures. Truth be told, there hasn't been more than two places that I took my Jeep while pulling my Adventure trailer that I couldn't have taken a 2" lifted Outback with some BFGs and a roof top tent. Those two places: the last mile to Sierra Ancha Ruins and the last several hundred yards down to the beach at Sheeps Bridge along the Verde River (on the north side of the bridge). Outside of the very occasional day trip with other Jeep buds into some more rough terrain and one fairly dangerous adventure going down Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail between Silverton and Ouray Colorado , I bet I haven't even put my jeeps in 4 wheel drive more than 15 times since 2007 and that's including thousands of off-road miles (including a 9-month 10,000 mile overland road trip around the USA in 2012 in the Jeep Sport -- god would I have loved to take the Subi on that trip). But, I just sold my Rubicon and my Adventure Trailer. And in their place I plan to build a 4x4 Sprinter 144 Camper van. But, as you know, a sprinter is No daily driver. So, what is my plan to have a run around daily driver that I can also use for a weekend or day trip road warrior to buzz up to Zion for a weekend of backpacking or skiing in Flag? A subaru Outback 3.6R. And, I am going to rig it at least in part for backcountry travel on jeep roads to get me where I want to go specifically. Not for the fun of overcoming the difficulty of getting there, but to actually get there. I am going to throw a fiberglass shell roof top tent and awning on it and maybe throw a fridge in the back. Spare tire carrier on the back hitch mount and grab a set of MaxxTraxx and call it a day. I will now have two vehicles for my adventures. A short weekender that gets great gas mileage, rides like a dream compared to the ******tsville ride of the rubi, especially in the wind going 80 on the interstate, and a longer fully enclosed overland rig as a "second home" on wheels. Your build got me thinking and started my research, man. I applaud you for not letting the punks razz you because their rigs define who they portray. Defy the norm. Show up at expo with something that turns heads because it's different. That is the beauty of Expo. I love walking the campground more than I do the vendors simply because I am electrified by what I see others doing. Cheers! Attached is a rendering of what I am gonna build.

Attachments

• 2016-subi-green.jpg
    2016-subi-green.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

borison

Adventurer
Let me just say this, Grant. I've been watching your build all over the net for a few years now. I have owned three Jeeps, a JK Unlimited X back in 2007 the first year they came out with a lift and 33s, a JK unlimited Sport when they upgraded the engine in 2012, and most recently a JK Unlimited Rubicon with 4:10 gearing 3" lift and 35" BFG MTs that I used to pull behind it a Horizon Adventure Trailer. I am no rock crawler. I have never had any interest in taking my Jeeps out to "see what they can do". I have explored just about every place in Arizona that I could have wanted to and have had countless exceptional overland adventures. Truth be told, there hasn't been more than two places that I took my Jeep while pulling my Adventure trailer that I couldn't have taken a 2" lifted Outback with some BFGs and a roof top tent. Those two places: the last mile to Sierra Ancha Ruins and the last several hundred yards down to the beach at Sheeps Bridge along the Verde River (on the north side of the bridge). Outside of the very occasional day trip with other Jeep buds into some more rough terrain and one fairly dangerous adventure going down Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail between Silverton and Ouray Colorado , I bet I haven't even put my jeeps in 4 wheel drive more than 15 times since 2007 and that's including thousands of off-road miles (including a 9-month 10,000 mile overland road trip around the USA in 2012 in the Jeep Sport -- god would I have loved to take the Subi on that trip). But, I just sold my Rubicon and my Adventure Trailer. And in their place I plan to build a 4x4 Sprinter 144 Camper van. But, as you know, a sprinter is No daily driver. So, what is my plan to have a run around daily driver that I can also use for a weekend or day trip road warrior to buzz up to Zion for a weekend of backpacking or skiing in Flag? A subaru Outback 3.6R. And, I am going to rig it at least in part for backcountry travel on jeep roads to get me where I want to go specifically. Not for the fun of overcoming the difficulty of getting there, but to actually get there. I am going to throw a fiberglass shell roof top tent and awning on it and maybe throw a fridge in the back. Spare tire carrier on the back hitch mount and grab a set of MaxxTraxx and call it a day. I will now have two vehicles for my adventures. A short weekender that gets great gas mileage, rides like a dream compared to the ******tsville ride of the rubi, especially in the wind going 80 on the interstate, and a longer fully enclosed overland rig as a "second home" on wheels. Your build got me thinking and started my research, man. I applaud you for not letting the punks razz you because their rigs define who they portray. Defy the norm. Show up at expo with something that turns heads because it's different. That is the beauty of Expo. I love walking the campground more than I do the vendors simply because I am electrified by what I see others doing. Cheers! Attached is a rendering of what I am gonna build.
Me likee

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
...I will now have two vehicles for my adventures. A short weekender that gets great gas mileage, rides like a dream compared to the ******tsville ride of the rubi, especially in the wind going 80 on the interstate, and a longer fully enclosed overland rig as a "second home" on wheels.

never owned a jeep, but were in the process of doing the same thing. we plan to flat tow our little wagon behind the van when we don't take the motorbikes. that way we can leave a basecamp and explore from there. only downfall weve found to a van is having to break camp to explore and risk loosing our spot.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
fabrication. gotta tow the welding trailer to make more monies

Yeah, those sleds aren't light.

I see the sig's been updated to a '16 Taco. Thanks for the Subie explorations, both on and with the Outback. I enjoyed following your work and appreciated the effort. Enjoy the new rig and the new job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles