Wagonofdoom - 2015 Outback build

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I'm not offended. And to prove it: the next time you're in Colorado, let me know. I'll take you wheeling. I know a few trails with really good parking at the trailhead for your Outback.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Thats what everyone keeps saying, and I keep on trucking. Its not about where you can go, but having fun where you can :)

As ive said a few times. Nothing to prove here

WMDunkin

Adventurer
as "proven" your set up had been many times over people still love to flame. lol People are just sad/mad that most rigs are over built for cool factor and that a vehicle modified for its short comings can run with or out run their "toy" rig.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
as "proven" your set up had been many times over people still love to flame. lol People are just sad/mad that most rigs are over built for cool factor and that a vehicle modified for its short comings can run with or out run their "toy" rig.

I would argue this build is just as overbuilt/farkled/modified as any other expo style rig. It just happens to be a car based build that nets a little better gas mileage and possibly road handling over a SUV.

-Winch
-Bumpers with swing out
-Roof basket (window mount version)
-Pelican cases
-Fridge
-RTT + Awning
-Max Trax
-Mild supension
-Offroady tires

Cool car and looks like fun but it's far from a simple little rig. As long as it works for the owner and they are having fun is all that matters.

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
except:
Used the winch twice already in 5 or 6months
Used the maxtrax last weekend at VOR
Tires are decent in winter (snow here) so no need for two sets of tires
there is no full size spare option for storage in the outback.....so its backseat, roof, or swingout

the rest wahtever, But its far from overbuilt lol. Overbuilt would be a 6 inch lift, 32s, bigger winch than i need, trailer, etc etc etc.

Its a pretty simple little rig considering i can replace anything on it with something from autozone...nothing is special order or all that custom.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I didn't say you didn't use the stuff. You clearly do and clearly enjoy it.

But it is does have just as much stuff on it as many of the Landcruisers and Jeeps on here. This isn't a negative comment towards your build or anyone elses, you used a different base vehicle but the end equipment/result is quite similar is my only point.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I tend to disagree

I I dont have alot of stuff they like lockers, and upgraded axles, and sliders (yet) and built out susspension upgrades

i would call this at BEST a mild build. most people you see have what i would consider a MILD build.

Overbuild is what i would consider many of the Overland X trucks

though, at a basis you should see most of the same things in the genre. organization for storage, a place to sleep, keep vital items, and self sustainability is what overlanding requires. All of which we all have (well most of us that do it often)

outback97

Adventurer
I think all the stuff you've done to this is impressive, kudos on creating something unique and different!

I had a '97 Outback with taller springs and slightly larger than OEM tires. It got us to a lot of cool places here in Utah during nearly 16 years of ownership, but sometimes it did limit where we felt comfortable going. I like my 2008 OB too much to abuse it, and didn't really want to modify it, so I have kept that stock as it's been a great car as-is. We got a used Xterra for camping and exploring duties beyond the Outback's comfort zone and it's been perfect for us.

If I had the fabricating skills and time, a modified 2015 would be a tempting single vehicle option though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94