Wagonofdoom - 2015 Outback build

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Ugh... the fact the last few pages have turned into another "what is true overlanding?" again frustrates me... Seriously guys, I know this is an overlanding forum but it's starting to get old. There's no true definition of overland travel except for the fact that you're travelling over land in a vehicle. You build your car to the type of travel you want to do. Simple as that. This dude doesn't need to prove himself to anybody. The fact that he's finding the limits of a brand new chassis and documenting everything all the way for others and even taking the time to make videos for others should be enough to commend him instead of filling his thread will BS about the type of overlanding he does.

I like car-based build threads. True overlanding in North America is always going to include lots of tarmac at some point unless you're going out of your way to stay off of it. If this was a build thread for African overlanding or Northern Russian overlanding then he probably wouldn't even start with an outback. I enjoy seeing someone push the limits of unibody vehicles. I think we all need to be reminded that the person who really made a name for overlanding did it in an old redblock 2wd Volvo station wagon.

borison

Adventurer
Ugh... the fact the last few pages have turned into another "what is true overlanding?" again frustrates me... Seriously guys, I know this is an overlanding forum but it's starting to get old. There's no true definition of overland travel except for the fact that you're travelling over land in a vehicle. You build your car to the type of travel you want to do. Simple as that. This dude doesn't need to prove himself to anybody. The fact that he's finding the limits of a brand new chassis and documenting everything all the way for others and even taking the time to make videos for others should be enough to commend him instead of filling his thread will BS about the type of overlanding he does.

I like car-based build threads. True overlanding in North America is always going to include lots of tarmac at some point unless you're going out of your way to stay off of it. If this was a build thread for African overlanding or Northern Russian overlanding then he probably wouldn't even start with an outback. I enjoy seeing someone push the limits of unibody vehicles. I think we all need to be reminded that the person who really made a name for overlanding did it in an old redblock 2wd Volvo station wagon.
X2, thanks for saying it.

borison

Adventurer
More build thread, less pissing match! :D
Yep, what he said. Hope these pissing match posts don't deter more posts. I enjoy these less-than-conventional build threads. There's plenty of other forums for more conventional minded folks.

Recommended books for Overlanding

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
SO i have made the first irreversible modification to the subaru
I had issues with the tire carrier moving fore and aft in relation to the car, and it annoyed the **** out of me. So I decided to beef it up a bit
I used 1/4 plate, with 2x2 1/4 wall tube and some 1/8 strips for bolt tabs
The main assembly slides into the braces and bolts in. Fixed everything and zero issues now
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Oh and i notched for my pump spout

Headed up to boston this weekend to have the front bumper finished up.

JStodd555

That looks great Grant!

I've been thinking of something similar for my Forester. Come spring, I may pay Mr. Costa a visit.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
So awesome. I've been waiting until my crack or destroy my front bumper to do something like this but the damn thing just won't break. My family always laughs at me because I owned an 850R before that I went through 3 bumpers because I kept cracking or destroying them (by something as simple as scraping coming out of a parking lot or driveway) and for once I actually want my bumper to break and it just never does. Suzuki needs to explain a few things about their unbreakable plastic to Volvo.

Do you ever worry about airflow? Or does most of your air flow through the upper grille? I always think a bumper like that would mess up the vacuum created by the low pressure under the car to get air through the radiator.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
there is so much flow on the upper side. Im not that worried about it
If i was like most people and waited for tires to wear out, or things to go bad, or warranties to run out, i wouldnt be where i am today

Just do it.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Overlanding the Americas: La Lucha
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $10.99
Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
Lone Rider
by speth Beard
From $16.23