W.W.J(eep).D.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Sorry for the play on word, but I could not resist. What Would Jeep Do???
I am very excited about this Mopar diesel swap kit I have been reading about. I have been looking to do this type of swap for awhile...I always thought it would be on an FJ60 land Cruiser with the 4BT but this news has got me thinking, Why not a jeep?
So my question is, if you were to consider doing this swap in a jeep for extended travel, on and off road (not rock crawling) which jeep would you do it too and why. I know nothing about jeeps except that they are very capable vehicles, so please spare no detail

Thanks

hrjaw

Explorer
I personally would do it with a wrangler, mainly because I have one in the stable. makes it an easy choice.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
mcgovski said:
Sorry for the play on word, but I could not resist. What Would Jeep Do???
I am very excited about this Mopar diesel swap kit I have been reading about. I have been looking to do this type of swap for awhile...I always thought it would be on an FJ60 land Cruiser with the 4BT but this news has got me thinking, Why not a jeep?
So my question is, if you were to consider doing this swap in a jeep for extended travel, on and off road (not rock crawling) which jeep would you do it too and why. I know nothing about jeeps except that they are very capable vehicles, so please spare no detail

Thanks
depends on what you want it for. The 60series get's my nod because it's a Toyota and because of the useable space inside. That and you can tow with it which is not the strong suit of the SWB wrangler...

mcgovski

Adventurer
I guess i will keep looking on Craigslist etc in hopes of finding my FJ60. It would be so easy if trucks / jeeps came diesel off the lot though!!!! If jeep does that, or offers the no brainer, no hassle(in theory) swap, it will be hard to pass up!

prepmech

Observer
I would start out with an LJ rubicon. It offers more interior room than the standard TJ. The 4.10 gears that come in the rubicon would be great with 33" tires and the diesel. It has a great wheelbase. There is plenty of aftermarket support for them. They are also a little easier to find now that everyone is ditching them for the new JKs. The dana 44s, while not the latest and greatest, should be able to handle 33s without fear of breakage.

The JK unlimited would be awesome for a swap, but chances are as soon as you do it they will come out with one from the factory. They are also a little long in the wheelbase department for my tastes.

It would be pretty cool in a liberty too... oh wait, they already did that.

Seriously though, for those wanting a diesel jeep, what is wrong with the liberty? The IFS has its drawbacks, but with just a small lift and some 31s they make some pretty capable little rigs.

mcgovski

Adventurer
good tips.
I looked briefly at the liberty...if I recall there were some issues with them(cant remember what) plus, I have not had much luck in finding them used...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I had diesel Jeep dreams for a while. Personally, I think Joaquin Suave's Mayahaul is just about the ultimate. A Jeep Scrambler with a Mercedes diesel. Pretty trick.

However, I'm no where near the fabricator that Joaquin is, and he had plenty of challenges to face. So I had to accept the fact that a vehicle like this isn't in my future.

Looking at my wish list, a jeep-type vehicle with a non-electronic diesel, preferable as close to stock as possible, and US-legal, my current dream is to import a 25-year-old Mercedes 240GD.

id_mb_gclass_02_700.jpg

Or get a USMC IFAV, if they are ever available to the public:

marineifav.jpg

Last edited:

mcgovski

Adventurer
So I feel like this is not going to happen. Will Mopar offer a solution? Will Jeep have a stock diesel in a wrangler? Will diesel lovers continue to dream and or take on the challenge for a swap? I am spun! I wonder if importing an old vehicle from AUS with a diesel would be cheaper than a swap? different headache most likely. I did see an '83 fj60 in the seattle area with a 3B (?) diesel in it for $7000. The price makes me wonder how sound that vehicle is? I guess I will keep thinking about it and crossing my fingers.
That Mercedes you linked is pretty cool. I could use the gun on top for scaring the brush pickers off my property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcgovski

Adventurer
liberty?

Here is what I read about the recalls on the liberty:

In August 2006, the Chrysler Group announced they were recalling 832,000 Liberties due to problems with the front suspension lower ball joint [3]. The problem, which affected 2002 to 2006 models, could potentially cause a loss of steering. Chrysler previously recalled 300,000 Liberty models in 2003 because of a similar problem [4].

The Liberty CRD had two additional recalls, one to comply with EPA regulations and another to replace the torque converter (which was failing on some CRDs) and reprogram the engine to reduce torque.[

I did not find the success of resolution to these problems, But I have yet to find a manual trans for sale. Lots of automatics.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles