VW People....Check in!!!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am sure most of you have seen mine...but just in case:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/17010-My-Westfalia-Syncro!

1056541897_yAoSh-L.jpg

1059480378_msBfE-L.jpg

1059482601_RfGE3-L.jpg

2.ooohhh

I stumbled onto the site while researching an engel/arb fridge for my '71 tintop westy I'm currently restoring for boondocking, but I am currently working on outfitting my '99 beetle gls for semi-frequent trips into some less than developed logging roads/trails around some property I own.

7134418931_97df2449e6.jpg

So far it's lifted, with a skidplate, while the LSD, larger tires, communications install, and a sleep platform build are in the planning stages ATM.

Last edited:

Storz

Explorer
Anyone have experience with the V10 TDI in the older Touaregs? Are they are reliable as their 4cyl cousins?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I used to have some nice VWs back in the days :) I miss them and once I get back to being able to have other fun toys sitting around I want to build up another VW thing and a micro bus

one of my favs was the old THING :) had some nice suspension on it the infamous Jackman wheels etc... on it
also had my FJ40 at the same time another rig I miss

lucky one of my buds was good with engines my other two best friends were really into VWs and one of the guys girlfriends was big time drag guy in VWs so we had lots of resources

also had a Karmann Ghia found it with the original tires on it ;) little old lady put about 8k miles on it commuting and sold it this was back in the 1980s :)
so shaved some parts but kept the door handles and the two little door strips had some nice wheels on it (Empi 8 spoke) lowered with little 135s up front etc.. one of the nicer looking Ghias you would have ever seen

also a nice 66 Bus fixed up and painted then graphics for our Skateboard Snowboard shop I used to own and used it as a shop vehicle I really love early split window VW bus's

another was a nice Scirocco
a Porsche & VW dealers kid had it fixed up to insane levels again early 1980s he put some 60K into it !!!!! basically brought it around to the best places he started in Germany alchohol injected engine engine work done by Drake Turbo back in the days all the suspension work was done by Konig
problem was it was a hand grenade that needed new transmissions every 10-20K miles !!!
but was insane fast and quick
I had a datsun pickup that I had a ton into for off roading and both our parents thought we were idiots for putting so much in our vehicles anyway I wanted another road car the other wanted a 4x4 so we traded :)

also a few misc bugs of various years

got to scan in old photos of my other ones I had one day but I have a really bad scan from my scirocco
scirocco.jpg

funny thing even on my FJ I have a BOW WOW is for Volkswagens sticker from the 1980s :) still have about 5 or so of the old original stickers left :) if some of you earlier VW guys remember those ? not sure I know they are still around not sure if they are still popular VW parts company though ?

psykokid

Explorer
Anyone have experience with the V10 TDI in the older Touaregs? Are they are reliable as their 4cyl cousins?

I cant vouch for their reliability, but my goodness are they a smooth driving motor. I test drove one a few years back when a vw exec traded in one to the local dealer which my friend was head of sales for. It was silver with the optional rear tire carrier and dual batteries in the rear where the spare normally lives. I went on the normal test drive route and was giving it some beans and when i looked down i was doing 60 in a 35. quiet and smooth.. The alternator is fun to replace from what i have read when they go bad since the literally live on the top of the motor in the valley of the V and are cooled by the coolant.

I've a VW guy as well - past cars include:

67 type 1
84 GTI
87 GTI 16V
90 Corrado G60
98 Jetta 2.slow

currently have:
76 Scirocco
2000 Passat V6 4-motion wagon.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
This is an unfinished project I found in a local classified ad. I've been playing with it after work for a few weeks, its almost finished now. The first pic is after I installed the new BFG A/T tires to raise it up a bit. I plan on using it for some out of state VW campouts for a year or so (Havasu, Jerome, Albequerque), then probably moving on to the next project.

913336.jpg

910878.jpg

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
This is an unfinished project I found in a local classified ad. I've been playing with it after work for a few weeks, its almost finished now. The first pic is after I installed the new BFG A/T tires to raise it up a bit. I plan on using it for some out of state VW campouts for a year or so (Havasu, Jerome, Albequerque), then probably moving on to the next project.

913336.jpg

910878.jpg

im in love ...wow brother ....:sombrero:

mtnsurf

In my Mk3 golf Ive been from Delaware to Mexico city to Prudhoe bay. Also did a trip from Michigan to Nicaragua. Now im building her to go from delaware to the bottom of south America and back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94