VW LT MKI engine swap - anyone?

thebigblue

Adventurer
As much as i like the version 1 of the freezer box - VW LT MKI; it´s engine is not new and a bit noisy (since you sit atop it), - has anybody converted the 2.4D to another newer powerplant? And even in the progress converted it to 4WD - the originals (I think only 1250 was made) are pricy and the spareparts is non existing ...?

vwhammer

Adventurer
Given that the LTs are a traditional front engine layout I feel it would be super simple to swap just about anything you want in there and make it 4x4 in the process.
I feel this platform is just begging for one of the new Cummins R2.8 crate engines.

If I could find a 2wd one cheap enough in the states I would jump on it for my next project.
Of course I have never really looked for one because I don't need any more projects.

rmcdougald

Just following up on this topic. Anyone look at doing the R2.8 swap into their LT? Chris up in Seattle has one at least two 2.5l TDI swaps.

Anyone test the dimensions of the R2.8 in the LT hole?

Bellhousings and adapter plates are new to me. How would one go about building an adapter plate?

I know that Cummins provides an engineering drawing in their documentation. Would the VW transmission have similar engineering drawings that would be provided to a company that specializes in adapter plates?

I've found the Cummins build partner program search to be questionable. Contacting the Cummins sales department was only slightly less helpful.

Anyone know a vendor that does this?

vwhammer

Adventurer
Just following up on this topic. Anyone look at doing the R2.8 swap into their LT? Chris up in Seattle has one at least two 2.5l TDI swaps.

Anyone test the dimensions of the R2.8 in the LT hole?

Bellhousings and adapter plates are new to me. How would one go about building an adapter plate?

I know that Cummins provides an engineering drawing in their documentation. Would the VW transmission have similar engineering drawings that would be provided to a company that specializes in adapter plates?

I've found the Cummins build partner program search to be questionable. Contacting the Cummins sales department was only slightly less helpful.

Anyone know a vendor that does this?

If I were doing the R2.8 swap I would not be running any of the VW drive train.
I envisioned a more modern and easily attainable trans and transfer case where adapters already exist for the Cummins.
Heck I would probably also swap axles while I was at it.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
I would do a OM606 (or OM605) swap. Diesel, tons of power, reliable, can run a mechanical injection pump to simplify the wiring, and they are readily available for cheap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz