VRV Flyer Teardrop and DIY Build Thread

1Louder

Explorer
Thank you much. My garage door clearance is 82"

Talk to Tom at VRV. There are different axle options. A 30 degree might work for you to give you enough ground clearance and garage clearance. You always have to option of airing down you tires before putting the trailer into your garage. Not my favorite option but lots of folks do that. Common with Turtleback Trailer owners.

1Louder

Explorer
Springtime Mods

I am finally getting around to some of my planned modifications for the trailer.

I just repurposed my straight awning which was installed on my FJ Cruiser and added it to the trailer. It will see more use on the trailer. My next big project will be adding a 16 gallon water tank and shower setup. It sure is nice to have a large garage to work on these projects out of the AZ sun!

This is a great platform for DIY mods.

40792065301_a5803014e4_b.jpg

40082311434_fdf6272d08_b.jpg

40749807002_f578ee960f_b.jpg

An 11lb propane tank holder was added to the driver side step. A jerrycan mount will be installed as soon as it arrives.
40792519171_ffd1e881ce_b.jpg

ottsville

Observer
That is a nice looking teardrop!

From the outside, what is the floor made of? Can you post a pic of where the exterior wall bottom joins the floor please? Thanks.

1Louder

Explorer
That is a nice looking teardrop!

From the outside, what is the floor made of? Can you post a pic of where the exterior wall bottom joins the floor please? Thanks.

All aluminum trailer including the floor. Some of the photos on the VRV website show the floor.

36318713244_514132c741_b.jpg

26016373917_40906cc03e_b.jpg

Not my trailer but similar design with the Eco model

40888546571_d7a0e6ce9d_b.jpg

Eco Flyer

1Louder

Explorer
I added a BlueSea fuse block and an SAE power port to the outside of the trailer this week. All non factory electrical items will go on this fuse block. Next project is adding a 16 gallon water tank.

I also added the jerry can mount.

26005530227_414c06b6f5_b.jpg

40836181902_e1a39c38c6_b.jpg

39994986675_47dc92cf7e_b.jpg

Wavian Jerrycan mount and can.

ratled

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing more as this has tied for 1st place for me for trailer options. I found this 40 minute video on the trailer in case anyone wants to see more until Louder posts more

ratled

1Louder

Explorer
I did a bunch of mods in a row. Here's a blog post showing most of them: https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/our-vrv-flyer-modifications-april-2018-update/ I need to add my Bluesea fuse block install to the post. I am going with a more comfortable 5" mattress vs the couch cushions. I also might split the bed platform in the middle so I can roll the mattress towards the back and still have a small "Couch mode" are in the front. I will just need to add a support piece if I cut the folding wood platform.

Overall this has been a great trailer. I have had a good time tweaking it and coming up with DIY mod ideas. It does not feel coffin like, as most teardrops do. At 6' 5" tall I like the additional headroom and leg room. See below but if you bought without the factory bed platform installed you could DIY you own and possibly include a galley in the back. Similar to a Hiker but for less money.

That is an excellent walk-through by Campers and Gears. That is actually my trailer! before it was delivered to me. There have been some minor changes to the 2018's since that video was produced. Confirm pricing and feature changes with VRV though!

• The tongue bar is now longer
  • You can get a different axle with hubs to match your vehicle
  • VRV will install a MaxCoupler or Lock-N-Roll on your trailer if you ship them one (They don't want to stock these)
  • The latch mechanism on the rear drawer has changed to a better version
  • The side table is lighter now (I think) I removed mine. It's nice but the one in my trailer was very heavy.
  • The doors for the storage areas are double doors vs single. On mine I removed them. The lower area is not accessible with the bed setup and doors on. With the door(s) removed I can get access to items stored. I also think on the 2018's the front exterior storage now runs the full width of the trailer with a driver side and passenger side door.
  • You can order the Flyer model without the bed. I believe it is an $800 discount. So if you want to build you own bed setup (Out of 80/20 for example) you can save some money.
Feel free to post up questions and I will answer when I can. My trailer will be up in Flagstaff for the Expo but I will not be camping onsite. Ken from Campers and Gear will have his somewhere on the camping grounds inside the Expo but not in a booth anywhere. For now I am meeting some folks in Flagstaff Sunday afternoon to show them the trailer. If anyone else is interested in taking a peek we are going to meet around 4pm on Sunday right as you pull into town. The location is 10 minutes from the Expo grounds. I am going to see if I can park inside the Expo grounds on Sunday though. Sunday is usually pretty light and might now be an issue.

Thanks,
Chris

Attached images show my mobile command center/compound setup. Including my ARB room and OZ Tent RV-5.

Attachments

• Fullsetup2 1.png
    Fullsetup2 1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • Fullsetup 1.png
    Fullsetup 1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

frq flyr

Observer
i too combine my teardrop with an OZ tent. Great combo for my family of 4, with 2-dogs and a family friend or two.

nice additions to the camper!

Attached images show my mobile command center/compound setup. Including my ARB room and OZ Tent RV-5.[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles