Volvo XC70

Tifighter

Not a lot of Volvo stuff out there, so I thought I'd share my Swedish Outback. 15 XC70, turbo inline-six with the Polestar ECU upgrade. Conti Terraincontact ATs, Sparco Terra rims, IPD aluminum skid plate. Most importantly, a heated steering wheel. I sleep comfortably in the back. Photos are from the WABDR near Umptanum ridge-
NicksXC1small.jpg
NicksXC2small.jpg
Thanks @nswanny for the pics.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I've always been a fan of wagons. The Sparco wheels are a nice touch.

Need some close-up pics of the XC-70. Welcome to the group!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Just picked up a new XC90 for my wife. Unbelievably nice car. I’m in love with the V90CC and am actually contemplating picking one up for myself. Can you shed some light on its AWD capability, ground clearance and any shortcomings it has as a camping wagon, if any? Beautiful XC70, by the way. We have few in the neighborhood.

Tifighter

I guess it depends on how you define camping wagon. It’s not a 4Runner. Stock clearance is 8.5 inches; my tires are just slightly oversized so probably more like 8.7. Approach angle could be better although the overhang on the V90 looks shorter. Haldex awd system so nothing too fancy there, but it does really well in snow or mud with the right tires. I do full snow tires in the winter, and AT tires the rest of the year. There are a few youtube videos from Europe and Russia showing XC70 wagons doing some surprising things. It did great on the Washington backcountry discovery route as photographed to camp and for some general overland travel. For me, it is for getting to the trailhead so I can then backpack, mountain bike, camp etc. It’s not going to be a great choice for challenging the local ORV Park or any activity known as rock-crawling, “jeeping” or “muddin.” It has limitations.

It is tough to beat as a road trip car. I like the seats, and the completely flat cargo area with the seats folded. I’m 6’2” and can easily sleep in the back. I like the torque (354 lb-ft). And after 3 years, it’s been dead reliable. I’m pretty happy!

Last edited:

Buckstopper

Adventurer
We had an XC70 and it was the best snow car and family road trip vehicle that we ever had. It also survived both of my kids learning how to drive in it (and more importantly, so did they!). The bad news was that every time we drove by a Volvo dealer it seemed to cost us at least $1k for something. Be sure to set your GPS to avoid Volvo dealerships and you will be just fine. I was both very happy and a bit sad to see that car go.

Tifighter

Ha, I hear you. The last P3 XC70's seem to be pretty solid, so my only dealer stops are for normal service so far. I had looked at these off and on for years, but it was only when I read they were discontinuing the 6cyl motor that I finally got off my rear. There were only a few left on the west coast, and even fewer platinum models with all the upgrades. While I hear the newer 4 cyl motors drive fine, I couldn't wrap my head around an early-build supercharged and turbocharged engine. So I bit the bullet and here we are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior