VOLVO TGB Expedition Camper

M.Bas

Adventurer
I'm not done yet so the final verdict is still to come.
But NO, it is NOT an easy job...
I would say that it'll take me at least three days all in all, testing fitting, testing again, cutting, welding, cutting welds up again, testing again, fitting re-welding, fitting, throwing the tools around, testing fitting, being baffled by what I had done the day before, fitting, cutting, welding, crying a little, giving up and go home... :eek:

Well it's not that bad. But I'll let you know how long it took in the end.
Just saw the video :drool:

Christian

Adventurer
It took a while! But it is definetly worth it! The funny thing is I actually suspected it wasn't working, no sound, no feeling of it "helping" at all... untill i realised I was turning with one finger on dry pavement... Then I took the power of and I KNEW it was working! It's really cool that it is so un-noticable in lack of a better description, no lag, no feeling of detachement from the steering or anything...

M.Bas

Adventurer
My TGB passed the inspection today, within a couple of days I should have all the papers to get met license plates. Hopefully some of those nice non reflective dark blue ones :D

Examples from Wikipedia:
Dark blue plates
Oldtimerkenteken.jpg

Regular yellow plates
Verloren_kenteken.jpg

Christian

Adventurer
We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics!

:jump:​

Outback

Explorer
we want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics! We want pics!

:jump:​

yes pics pics pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M.Bas

Adventurer
Be patient my friends :D

Recieved the papers today, will be having the yellow plates made on saturday.
Not sure if I'm going to fill in the paperwork for the dark blue plates.

Canadian Camper

Newbie with Volvo Valp

Hi I am a newbie with Volvo c2o2 that I am looking to convert into an expedition Camper. I am debating whether to build a camper for the truck or
or build an offroad trailer for behind the truck. The hope is eventually to use the Truck to travel in the American west, the Alaskan Hiway, and the Canadian North. Any pros, cons or comments at all that would help in deciding what to design and build would be appreciated.

Tks.- Canadian Camper

M.Bas

Adventurer
Both options has it's pro's and con's.

I think the biggest difference you need to base your choice on is the ability to have a basecamp and leave it their if you're going somewhere. Or having to pack everything when you're going somewhere.

You are the only one able to make that choice, since you are the one going to travel with it.

I chose the second one (local regulations was also a reason not to choose a trailer: trailers only allowed to stand on public road for 3 days, no possibility to store it on own ground here. The Volvo is classified as a regular "oldtimer van" so I have to pay road tax (which is 0,- :victory:)).
Next week I will have him inspected for "MOT" and have basicly all fluids changed, but it is going to fail the inspection.
For example on the tires. One is in very bad shape.

An other option was having a RTT installed on top of my swb Vitara/Sidekick. But I found out last year that it is just to small. I was fully loaded because of all the camping/hiking gear. So if I wanted that I had to buy a bigger car and spend a lot more money every month/day because it would become my DD (taxes, insurance, fuel, etc). Now I'm paying a lot of money having my Volvo fixxed and are going to pay a lot while driving it :xxrotflma and pay a relative small amount of money for my DD.

Indiana Drew

Observer
Servo Video

I'm not done yet so the final verdict is still to come.
But NO, it is NOT an easy job...
I would say that it'll take me at least three days all in all, testing fitting, testing again, cutting, welding, cutting welds up again, testing again, fitting re-welding, fitting, throwing the tools around, testing fitting, being baffled by what I had done the day before, fitting, cutting, welding, crying a little, giving up and go home... :eek:

Well it's not that bad. But I'll let you know how long it took in the end.

Is this your Video?

Indiana Drew

Observer
I read back and saw it took a few days for you to get the thing complete - Were I adding PS, its the way I'd go too ... If you loose the EPS does it steer just as it did before?

Christian

Adventurer
Exactly like before. The EPS offers so little resistance that you cannot tell the difference. I tried it.
That's why we kept the original steering wheel. And because it's original...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles