Voltage inverter?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I have been pondering how best to power my laptop computer when I am in camp and just hanging out.

I have seen some of you talk about power inverters which I presume would be very capable for such a low power draw.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Why not just use a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter for the computer?
Any advantages to an inverter?
What else do you power through an inverter?

:)
Ed

Scott Brady

Founder
I do have a 12v power supply for my laptop, but find that I prefer an inverter because of the utility. Charging camera batteries, powering the laptop, powering ipod speakers in camp, etc.

photoleif

Observer
i second the vote for investing in an inverter so you have the flexibility to bring whatever devices you want. just be aware that there is no efficiency gain in converting 12vdc to 120vac to convert it back to, say, 16vdc for your laptop. if you already have a cigarette lighter plug, just use that until you get tired of not having 120vdc available for various fun gadgets.

click the custom sleeping platform link in my sig if you want some pix of how i set up my inverter.

gjackson

FRGS
I power my laptop with a 12v adaptor. But I do have an inverter in the truck for other things. Usually use it for dremel tool, charging the video camera and now for runnin my projector for on-the-trail slideshows.

If you run the laptop from 12v off the car, then you will be able to run longer. Inverters generate a lot of heat, and you are going 12vdc to 110vac and back to whaterver your laptop uses which us usually between 12vdc and 18vdc. The inverter will suck up a bit of power. I have also had inverters blow in the field and then you get no power! It is never a bad thing to have a 12v power adaptor for your laptop anyway. But then it is never bad to have 110v avaliable either.

Just my 2c!

cheers

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
ExplorOz just published a nice little article on inverters. Keep in mind they cite the use of 240v (for the most part, we use 120v here) but the info is the same otherwise.

I have a little 175w inverter in my truck but it rarely gets used. I just don't have any gadgets that require 120v except my dremel tool. But it is handy in case someone else needs it.

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

I keep a 400Watt Coleman inverter with me.

I recommend caution though using an inverter when plugging in anything that uses batteries/or to recharge batteries.

I think my inverter ruined my battery in my electric shaver........and my cell phone battery.

For my cell phone.....I didn't have a cig outlet plug for charging, so I plugged my home charger into the inverter to charge my phone. This promptly ruined my cell phone battery.

coleman_power_inverter_pmp400_big_375_297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online