Volkswagen Touareg off road capability?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
gcec-uk said:
I met a chap at the Abenteuer Allrad show in Germany last year... Most folks would say that his trip doesn't count as off-road. Considering that most driving, even "alleged" off road driving, is done on roads (logging, forest service, utility access, or paved - the're all roads), their trip gives the vehicle some credibility in my book.

They drove 3 Volkswagen Touareg R5 TDI Expeditions 25,000km from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego - on 100% bio-diesel.

I took some photos of one of the vehicles (for no particular reason)

panamericana2006.jpg

Their website is still up: PanAmericana2006

That front suspension is traveled out in that pic. :oops:

Off road the vehicle is a constant wheel-lifter. Thanks to the locking rear diff the thing did OK on Hells Revenge. Traction there is excellent to begin with. For a stock vehicle it's OK though I can think of many that will dwarf it on the trail. I can't even look at this truck though due to terrible build quality and reliability....the 2 things I hold the highest.

Ron B

Explorer
it's heavy too -- it's curb wt is just shy of 6000 lbs (my hummer has a 6600 lb curb wt).

ron b

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Ron B said:
it's heavy too -- it's curb wt is just shy of 6000 lbs (my hummer has a 6600 lb curb wt).

ron b

Weight alone doesn't make it in-capable. Your truck for example. And mine....over 6000 lbs equipped and ready to tackle about anything. :eek:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The VW Dakar vehicles may look like Toureggs but they are full custom jobs and are not racing in the production classes.

Ron B

Explorer
I agree, weight doesn't make a vehicle less capable -- I was just shocked at how heavy it is (I looked it up after starting to read this thread).

Ron B

bootzilla

Adventurer
I know that it goes against the typical off-roading convention - but a well designed traction control system can be pretty decent. I know my Freelander would make it into and out of spots it had no place being - and the fancy traction control system came in quite handy when I would lift a wheel.

But yeah - you won't get much flex out of a Touareg - that is why they need all of the electronics to make it go off-road.

My reliability experience with late-model v-dubs was ok - but I had a 1.8T, so that is apples to oranges with the Touareg motors. I flogged that turbo constantly, and it always held up - I would get an engine light occasionally, but that was my fault - the ECU was chipped, and I would get overboost errors...

I would off-road a used T-reg - new ones would be too pricy for me to get too bold with...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke