Volkswagen Touareg off road capability?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have any experience with the off-road capability of the Touareg? I drove one to a regatta in Phoenix this weekend (Denver to Phoenix and back) and was pretty impressed with the truck. I also noticed it has electronic locking center and rear differentials, which got me wondering.

blupaddler

Conspirator
I have never driven one.
But have been drooling over the V10 TDI for the last couple of years. Great thing is they are now selling them in wonderful California...Only $75K give or take.

I have heard great things about them. A couple of the 4x4 mags had good reviews. And, they have done really well in rally races. Not to mention the Dakar. Although they are using the 5cyl TDI, which I would love to drive as well.

Sorry, rambling and no information...

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Sorry Scott,

I got in Thursday night and ended up working until about midnight. Friday and Saturday nights I was busy with boat work and regatta activities and Sunday we packed the boats after the race and hit the road about 5:30 p.m. Mark talked about trying to organize something, but it just didn't work time-wise. It does seem to be a much easier drive than I thought so I may find other excuses to come down.

I have to say that I was expecting a little warmer. On Sunday it was 25 degrees when we hit the water.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I haven't driven one, but I got to follow one a couple of years ago in Moab. It was bone stock with an obviously inexperienced family onboard, driving the Fins and Things trail. I was actually pretty impressed by how well it was doing, although they were going PAINFULLY slow through most of it.

I know Porsche did alot of testing of the Cayenne in Moab and really spent some time trying to engineer in some offroad competence.

Biggest thing to me in either of these cars is mechanical complexity of the systems. VW (and most German auto manufacturers for that matter) haven't really been known for their reliability as of late, specifically in regards to complicated electrical systems. Their tactile qualities however, have always been rather high.

justfred

Adventurer
I considered buying one

But the reliability numbers were really, really now. Like, worst truck ever, with the possible exception of the other one I was thinking about, a Land Rover Freelander.

The other thing I didn't like, is they don't offer an "X" edition - that is, lose the carpets in favor of rubber matting, put in stainproof/waterproof seats, maybe offer a rock rail or light covers. I would have bought one of these (especially if I could have found a 2-4 year old used one, my "sweet spot" for used vehicles.)

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Point to consider: You buy a V10 Touareg for the ridiculous sum of money they ask for it. Really it is in the same price point as some of the new Rovers, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. You bring it in for service and the guy who is going to work on it has 90% of his experience on 1.8T engines from Jettas & Golfs.

Don't get me wrong... it's a beautiful ride, has gobs of torque and is going to be quite capable off-road with the correct tires. It has the technology to keep traction in amazing situations. But it's dealer network and service capability is a nightmare - and it is going to be one of those vehicles that will be a nightmare to work on yourself.

Look at what happened to the VW Phaeton... :REOutShootinghunter

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
bigreen505 said:
Sorry Scott,

I got in Thursday night and ended up working until about midnight. Friday and Saturday nights I was busy with boat work and regatta activities and Sunday we packed the boats after the race and hit the road about 5:30 p.m. Mark talked about trying to organize something, but it just didn't work time-wise. It does seem to be a much easier drive than I thought so I may find other excuses to come down.

I have to say that I was expecting a little warmer. On Sunday it was 25 degrees when we hit the water.

Ok, could someone please clue me into the sailboat racing scene in Phoenix???
I have been competetively racing for the better part of my life, and I know that there are lakes around here - I've been trying to get my 14' cat out on them, but a full blown and organized regatta! Sweet!! -- And at 25 degrease I could have pulled out my drysuit!!!

Oh yea, and I think the Tourag is cool too, buuuuttt I could also build a pretty sweet rig for $75K!

asteffes

Explorer
justfred said:
But the reliability numbers were really, really now. Like, worst truck ever, with the possible exception of the other one I was thinking about, a Land Rover Freelander.

The other thing I didn't like, is they don't offer an "X" edition - that is, lose the carpets in favor of rubber matting, put in stainproof/waterproof seats, maybe offer a rock rail or light covers. I would have bought one of these (especially if I could have found a 2-4 year old used one, my "sweet spot" for used vehicles.)

Such a vehicle would not fit into VW's US market plans. It just wouldn't. Also, I would not count on any VW to have Toyota-like reliability. The new VWs (ie, VWs built since model year 1999.5) have extremely complicated electronics. Everything is electrical, everything lights up, has a switch, etc., and this is where these VWs have problems. These kinds of problems are extremely difficult to solve in a shop, let alone in the ouback. I really wouldn't take a Touareg anywhere more "remote" than Lake Tahoe.

asteffes

Explorer
mountainpete said:
Point to consider: You buy a V10 Touareg for the ridiculous sum of money they ask for it. Really it is in the same price point as some of the new Rovers, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. You bring it in for service and the guy who is going to work on it has 90% of his experience on 1.8T engines from Jettas & Golfs.

Don't get me wrong... it's a beautiful ride, has gobs of torque and is going to be quite capable off-road with the correct tires. It has the technology to keep traction in amazing situations. But it's dealer network and service capability is a nightmare - and it is going to be one of those vehicles that will be a nightmare to work on yourself.

Look at what happened to the VW Phaeton... :REOutShootinghunter

I have to agree. As a former 2001 Jetta VR6 owner, these cars are fine until they break, then all bets are off. If you have a 1.8T, most of the problems are well understood. The early VR6 had a huge independent shop network that understood the typical problems (head gaskets, cooling, etc.) but the new ones are an electronic mystery. The V10 TDI is even more poorly understood. Where are you going to get it fixed when it breaks down in the middle of Baja? Forget it. Not going to happen.

The V10 Touareg is great on paper but a huge bundle of headaches for anyone who wants to take it away from civilization.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I never said anything about a V10 Touareg, just asking if they were worth anything off road. The one my friend has is a V8.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
mcvickoffroad said:
Ok, could someone please clue me into the sailboat racing scene in Phoenix???
I have been competetively racing for the better part of my life, and I know that there are lakes around here - I've been trying to get my 14' cat out on them, but a full blown and organized regatta! Sweet!! -- And at 25 degrease I could have pulled out my drysuit!!!

PM sent. I was wearing a drysuit with one or two pairs of fleece pants, two long sleeve shirts, a fleece turtle neck, fleece vest and a hat and overall it was just about right -- warm during the race, cold between races.

asteffes

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
I never said anything about a V10 Touareg, just asking if they were worth anything off road. The one my friend has is a V8.

I understand. Someone else brought it up as a possibly good option for off-road use. I think the discussion about the electronics as a weak spot are equally valid for the V8 when used off-road.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately that matched my limited experience -- great car, horrible ergonomics (pretty, but not functional) and plagued by computer reliability issues.

gcec-uk

bigreen505 said:
Does anyone have any experience with the off-road capability of the Touareg?

I met a chap at the Abenteuer Allrad show in Germany last year... Most folks would say that his trip doesn't count as off-road. Considering that most driving, even "alleged" off road driving, is done on roads (logging, forest service, utility access, or paved - the're all roads), their trip gives the vehicle some credibility in my book.

They drove 3 Volkswagen Touareg R5 TDI Expeditions 25,000km from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego - on 100% bio-diesel.

I took some photos of one of the vehicles (for no particular reason)

panamericana2006.jpg

Their website is still up: PanAmericana2006

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior