VK56VD vs the "competition"

trae

Adventurer
Yes, stock fuel tank. I'll be adding an aux tank sometime this year. PhullD did a great job on his set-up and has been running trouble free for over a year and a half. I also have two five gallon cans and will be installing a Titan Trail Trekker II in a couple of weeks. Im getting around 12 mpgs and many more smiles per gallon :)

Titan Trekker looks neat, but if you have a swing away carrier could just go with more jerry cans? I read something about PhullDs mod, I understand it was also quite expensive..

This might be a stupid question, but why does a V8 on a lighter vehicle get less MPGs than the original truck? On fuelly folks seem to be getting 13+ mpg. I thought on a lighter vehicle the fuel effiecency would go up. Just curious, I'm sure it's fun as heck to drive :D

RoyJ

Adventurer
So, you decided the 4.0 HO in your Exo Caged Cherokee ain't gonna cut it, "no way that Jap motor gonna out crawl my American Made Muscle!", you go down the street to your neighbor uncle cousin Jim Bobs combination Front Yard/Junkyard/Moonshine Distillery to find yourself a V8, of course being a "MOPAR Guy", its gotta be a HEMI!

You get lucky and score a 2018 5.7 HEMI from a Grand Cherokee, 5.7L because "Ain't no replacement for displacement ammirite?" Late model, latest technology. This is gonna be amazing, sure to beat that jap crap.

View attachment 614220

Very respectable, almost identical to the VK56VD except for the major dropoff at 5000rpm where the Nissan motor keeps on pulling until redline. Honestly you cant go wrong with a late model 5.7 Hemi.

Conclusion:
The 5.7L Hemi puts up a good fight, but the VK56VD is still better in every regards.

Data Sources:

I don't think you're picking fair opponents! The Jeep HEMI is neutered, if you plot the truck version it'll be much close @ 395 hp.

Another thing to factor in is weight and cost. The pushrod V8s are very compact. VK56VD weighs the same as the iron Hemi, and is physically larger by a bit. The LS3 weighs nearly 100 lbs less, and makes more power.

6.4 SRT Hemi and 6.2 GM truck engines are also tough opponents - equal weight (6.2 is lighter), physically smaller, and more power. People often quote hp / displacement, when hp / weight or hp / physical size is more meaningful for engine swaps, etc.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Titan Trekker looks neat, but if you have a swing away carrier could just go with more jerry cans? I read something about PhullDs mod, I understand it was also quite expensive..

This might be a stupid question, but why does a V8 on a lighter vehicle get less MPGs than the original truck? On fuelly folks seem to be getting 13+ mpg. I thought on a lighter vehicle the fuel effiecency would go up. Just curious, I'm sure it's fun as heck to drive :D

I have two Scepter 5 gal MFC containers. I only fill up the tanks when I need them as I don't like carrying the extra fuel if i don't need it. PhullD's mod has been solid and it was expensive, especially since it was in Canadian currency. He had some parts originate from the states and I guess there is added cost to that with taxes etc. He also had the R&D done so that added more labor to the bill. I plan on that as a future mod. as it'll be nice and convenient to have the fuel in that aux tank on long road trips. Hard to find premium fuel in areas where us folks like to play. Just a nice feeling to not be sweating it when you can have the fuel and that off of your mind.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I don't think you're picking fair opponents! The Jeep HEMI is neutered, if you plot the truck version it'll be much close @ 395 hp.

Another thing to factor in is weight and cost. The pushrod V8s are very compact. VK56VD weighs the same as the iron Hemi, and is physically larger by a bit. The LS3 weighs nearly 100 lbs less, and makes more power.

6.4 SRT Hemi and 6.2 GM truck engines are also tough opponents - equal weight (6.2 is lighter), physically smaller, and more power. People often quote hp / displacement, when hp / weight or hp / physical size is more meaningful for engine swaps, etc.
Ford had the same issues when they switched from the pushrod 5.0 to the 4.6 modular motor in the Mustang. There was a picture of both engines side by side at one time. Both long blocks. That overhead cam adds a huge amount to the top of the engine. The chassis had to have hydroboost just so the 70's platform would accept a 90s engine. When the fox body died in 04 the brakes went back to vacuum.

The other year the new engine was the 7.3 Godzilla. In the regular pickup it is rated 430 HP but when you get to the big trucks, RV chassis, Cutaways it drops to as little as 300 HP. From some of the dyno stuff I saw the 430 HP is tuned for power, revs higher, has a richer fuel mix. The 300 HP will run stoic at sustained full throttle and the shift points are way lower. The 300 HP is aimed at heavy load fuel economy.

I've seen this before with the Chevy Colorado. In tow mode the shift points are lower, power is down a little bit, but the fuel economy on a hill almost doubles (maxed out full throttle hill climb watching the on board economy gauge).

markc522

Ecoboost owner, former VQ40 and current 56 owner.

Apocalypse happening now, choose one.
I choose Nissan over ford without hesitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles