Vive la France!!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
here's another one, different style - L'Horloge tourne ("The clock is ticking")

There are a lot of songs about the 20-30 y.o. phase of our life - especially taken place in Paris, such as this older "classic".

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Make sure you check out the group 1, 2, 3 Soleils; they were big when I still lived in Europe, in the 1990ies. Not even sure if they still exist.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have been here for about 2 months now and I must say I am absolutely amazed by this city (and this country). It's very interesting how sometimes adventure is not always where you think it is.

I typically commute back from work (from Levallois (17ieme) to Le Marais (3ieme)) which takes about 40 minutes.
Riding the bike (Velolib) through the traffic at 7pm wearing a full suit is quite a thrill.
You are usually racing and avoiding pedestrians, scooters, taxi, bus, cars and everything else in between.

This video gives a little taste of this activity - the song literally means "in Paris on a velo, we overtake motos, taxi, cars, etc"

Here is a fun video of what some guys managed to do with these bikes

Last edited:

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
Music has also evolved quite a lot in France. There are obviously all the classic songs that everyone knows...but the new generation has been doing a great job at creating big hits.

I am usually not a big fan of hip-hop or dance in a different language than English but I must say that it works very well in French.
I believe the mix coming from immigrants from Northern Africa/Middle-East has brought a very unique touch to these styles.

of course, everyone has different tastes...

The language is French... but the artist certainly isn't. He is from Belgium ;-)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am literally falling in love with Paris. I had not expected to enjoy this city so much.

Right now we just moved in a much larger apartment for the last 2 weeks of my stay. It is fabulous.

And we just got welcomed by thousand of rollerbladers, passing in front of our windows on their Friday night tour of the city.

More here:

http://www.pari-roller.com/

The mission of Pari Roller is to organize and promote the Friday night skating tour and to encourage roller skating as a leisure activity, as a sport or as a means of transportation… The association is a-political, not-for-profit, and non-religious--in short, independent!

The organization is built on principles that started in the streets, with unauthorized rides. At that time, a small group of skaters was organizing in the city to skate for pleasure, discover the city and meet other people—in other words, for freedom.

Pari Roller is now totally independent from any commercial or political structure. Its only partner is the Paris police department, which along with Pari Roller ensures the security of the participants and the spectators. These are what make the event successful.

Of course today, due to the growing popularity of the Friday Night Fever skate tour, things are changing … But the basics remain the same. The tour is free and open to anyone who can control his or her speed. It is a space of freedom.

Pari Roller does not consider itself the “owner” of the tour, but rather it guarantees a certain philosophy and spirit of the tour. By encouraging a work ethic related to its philosophy, Pari Roller tries to protect the skaters from outside influences, such as attempts of commercial or political takeovers, or massive distributions of leaflets, etc.

But it’s also your job, you faithful or occasional riders of the tour, to tell us what you think. If you have any ideas or if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us!

This weekly ride gathers the largest number of skaters in the world… and it is yours. Its survival depends on you.

jrueppel

Adventurer
As weird as it is, Pari Roller is one of the coolest things I remember about living there. There are some crazy talented skaters there and it was always great to see so many folks out on a Friday night essentially just for fun and exercise. A lot like critical mass for cyclists but without all the politics.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
As most people know, finding a parking in Paris is a challenge.

But getting out of your parking spot...a mystery.

stuck.jpg

morini

Music has also evolved quite a lot in France. There are obviously all the classic songs that everyone knows...but the new generation has been doing a great job at creating big hits.

I am usually not a big fan of hip-hop or dance in a different language than English but I must say that it works very well in French.
I believe the mix coming from immigrants from Northern Africa/Middle-East has brought a very unique touch to these styles.

of course, everyone has different tastes...

Oops. This is wrong.
Stromae is born in Brussels. His father is from Rwanda and his mother is Belgian. His real name is Paul Van Haver. Although his name is Flemish (Dutch), his native language is French.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Oops. This is wrong.
Stromae is born in Brussels. His father is from Rwanda and his mother is Belgian. His real name is Paul Van Haver. Although his name is Flemish (Dutch), his native language is French.

thanks for the correction. Since it's native language is French, and I love this song, I would still accept it...

:)

morini

thanks for the correction. Since it's native language is French, and I love this song, I would still accept it...

No problem.I Like the song also.
His girlfriend is miss Belgium
In Belgium 60 prc speeks Dutch, 40prc french , and a few prc German.
I speak them all, and also a little bit English.:ylsmoke:
Love France also, spending a lot of vacation over there, Là-bas en douce france

Last edited:

Landy4x4

Hi everyone

I'm new here. I'm on 4x4 forums, I had a lot of Lada Niva a few years ago, but now I search a truck for my family.

I live in Orléans, but i'm born in north near Lille, belgium limits.

France is a very fantastic coutry to discover, offroading is more and more limited.

It's a small country like US and Australia :sombrero: but a very big country to discover. Bretagne, Alsace, Volcans d'Auvergne, Côte d'Azur, Alpes, .... Castles, Cathedrals, old villages in desert lands ....

In Orléans, our Cathedral, Sainte Croix

IMGP7016b.JPG

In south of Orléans, you have old castles like Chambord, Chenonceaux, ....

fabsoulac

hello
I dug up this post to inform you that the riot police that drink 1 or 2 beers per meal this is not huge !!! lol I know because I am one and in the anti alcohol movement began with a picture of a friend who was 8 beer in hand but it was for the crew of the vehicle
too bad it is lighter to make up for people

otherwise the people who come to France I'd love to provide their addresses, cities, places, has not missed the Culinary Specialities etc !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne