Vive la France!!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
As I am in France for a few weeks, it is a great opportunity to share some observations on what makes this country so awesome...

I'll start with today news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13168354

France riot police face beer and wine meal ban

French riot police are outraged over plans to end a long-cherished tradition of drinking alcohol with their meals.

Under the terms of an interior ministry decree, riot police will no longer be allowed to wash down their lunch with a glass or two of beer or wine.

I personally do like the fact that it is socially accepted to have a drink at lunch.

That being said, one of the team members exaggerated a bit yesterday...and showed up totally drunk a few minutes before our 3 pm meeting...and was ruining the whole thing. It was quite a spectacle - something that would most likely have triggered quite some drama in the HR department in most US corporations....

:)

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
As I am in France for a few weeks, it is a great opportunity to share some observations on what makes this country so awesome...

I'll start with today news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13168354

France riot police face beer and wine meal ban

French riot police are outraged over plans to end a long-cherished tradition of drinking alcohol with their meals.

Under the terms of an interior ministry decree, riot police will no longer be allowed to wash down their lunch with a glass or two of beer or wine.

I personally do like the fact that it is socially accepted to have a drink at lunch.

That being said, one of the team members exaggerated a bit yesterday...and showed up totally drunk a few minutes before our 3 pm meeting...and was ruining the whole thing. It was quite a spectacle - something that would most likely have triggered quite some drama in the HR department in most US corporations....

:)

It is an odd country (from a US perspective of course) in many ways.

But I do admire their zeal and skill in creating and supporting epic sporting events. Dakar, TDF, megavalanche........if a full day of competition is good, then heck, why not 3 straight weeks?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
2 elements to master if you work in Paris as a IT consultant:

Wear a suit and a tie.

Shake hands to everyone when you arrive in the morning and you leave at night.

Optionally, also consider taking up smoking...

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Another thing to learn while you are here - get used to a bunch of really cool cars and motorcycles that we will never get in North america in my lifetime, such as the VW Scirocco R TSI TDI

barlowrs

Explorer
Just got back from a 4 week stint in Paris for work. I end up in various areas of France quite often. It is a wonderful country. If it wasn’t so hard for an American to get a job there, I would probably head there on a more permanent basis! Enjoy it while you are there.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Paris is a paradise for motorcyclists. I am amazed by the number of scooters everywhere in town. I am also amazed at how kamikaze the riders are - splitting lanes in the morning on the "Peripherique" at 60 mph is normal business...

It is also the only town I have seen that have a large network of "mototaxi".
We are not talking about the scooter taxi like in Thailand or Cambodia, but large Goldwing 1800 cc that carries passengers around town or to/from the airports.

1.jpg

motojet.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I thought I was a good moto rider until I moved to Paris with my Ducati. I later realized i was a good rider, just not crazy enough.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Music has also evolved quite a lot in France. There are obviously all the classic songs that everyone knows...but the new generation has been doing a great job at creating big hits.

I am usually not a big fan of hip-hop or dance in a different language than English but I must say that it works very well in French.
I believe the mix coming from immigrants from Northern Africa/Middle-East has brought a very unique touch to these styles.

of course, everyone has different tastes...

jrueppel

Adventurer
Thanks for the music! Please keep it coming. It's extra hard to find the good stuff happening in the Francophone music scene with out someone there doing the looking for you. Added a photo of a Willys that caught my eye last summer while hiking in the Alps near Annecy. I've always been surprised by the sweet little 4x4s you find up high there.

Attachments

• 20100627-Willys_Alps.jpg
    20100627-Willys_Alps.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 18

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, since you are asking...a few more of my favorites....

Old, but still one of the best ever rappers: MC Solaar

NTM, another very popular hip-hop band.

and a last one...more like a light one-hit wonder, but sort of funny:

(sorry for the pub at the beginning, blame YouTube...)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I had the great pleasure today to visit an exhibit of the most beautiful cars ever built (sorry pictures were not allowed, so I have to show you these generic videos):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior