Viva Baja! First Timer's Baja Impressions

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Living 20 minutes from the border I began surfing and camping on the Pacific side in 1969.
Racked up in excess of 100 trips one day to two weeks. The farther from cities you get the better the folks. The Pacific coast north of Ensenada is barely recognizable anymore with development. We'd park at empty lots and surf out front with very small crowds.
Lines at the border were only long on holidays with 20-30 minutes at San Ysidro the norm.
On the Pacific side Baja begins at El Rosario. The gulf side begins at San Felipe.
Thanks to the internet sites formerly revealed around a campfire and a few beers are exposed for the world to see.
Still lots to see and Baja is still a gem. You just have to get farther than the beaten path.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Same with us, newly turned 61 this spring, a month down there January, 2018, can’t wait to get back. This fall looking at five months away from Wisconsin winter. More toys this time. Two fat tire electric bikes, and our Porte Bote folding boat, electric motor and big battery. Probably take the ferry to the mainland at some point, and stay in Los De Marcos area. Took a 40’ diesel pusher down there a few years ago. Beautiful area.

Reactions: DVD

DVD

Adventurer
Why did I wait so long to discover Baja?
My thoughts too. Looking forward to revisiting.

On the Pacific side Baja begins at El Rosario. The gulf side begins at San Felipe.
Interesting. That roughly corresponds with the comment I made in the OP about feeling like we were in authentic Baja when we got to San Ignacio. It was cool to walk around the nearly empty beautiful town square (with few English language signs) and then seeing the town fill up after the service ended in the the old mission church from the 1700s.

Here is a video from our last trip south recording the Safari Expedition Promo:
Nice! Lots of uncrowded, unpaved trails.

Ilatak

Thanks for the great write up, I am heading down to Baja from Alberta Canada May 15 and used your report for some of the trip planning. Best part is that I am also taking LR3 down there:)

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Great report. I hope to make it some day.
I am surprised you have not gone YET! You have been in a lot worst places that I do not think I would venture, i.e. Middle East. I invited Kirk this year to Scammons Lagoon. He decline!, I have been many times and it is nothing to Danger. Virgin Bays, Missions...Planning is everything in a small group!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Great report..we 1st went down as a group in 07...spent 10 days round trip from Yuma to San Ignacio lagoon and back...fell in love with Gonzaga Bay and have been returning twice a year since!! Thanks for refreshing our memories of the 1st trip (07 FJ Cruiser, kayak on top pulling a USA Venturcraft "Trailblazer" off road camper///now in a crew cab dually 4wd with a full size truck camper and towing an 18ft boat!!)
Are you ready to go Back???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles