Viva Baja! First Timer's Baja Impressions

I am pretty sure that we were at the Gas Station in Gonzaga the same time you were on Dec 26-29? In a full size white crewcab truck....truckshell.jpg

DVD

Adventurer
Did the hot spring campsite at the end of your trip require reservations?
Hi Nude Lobster (always wanted to start a conversation like that but never realized), no, we didn't have reservations. There are 2 relatives that run 2 separate sites at the hot springs. I read some suggestions for the one on the right (as you head in), but we couldn't even find the office, so we went to the one on the left and got a nice site. It was the weekend, and it seemed only half full (maybe 5 of 10 or so sites occupied). But I imagine that early January isn't high season. It was a unique thing and a highlight!

DVD

Adventurer
I am pretty sure that we were at the Gas Station in Gonzaga the same time you were on Dec 26-29? In a full size white crewcab truck....
Hi, yes the truck looks familiar. Not many gas stations, so it's easy to remember. I think there was a truck with a camper too? Or was that on the return trip. It is a little community. Hope you had a good trip!

smlobx

Wanderer
Thanks for a great TR.
I’ve been trying to convince my wife to spend a little time down there and I’m going to show her your write up.

DVD

Adventurer
I’ve been trying to convince my wife to spend a little time down there and I’m going to show her your write up.
Good luck. Except for the rogue manta ray attacks that "Scotty D" mentioned (;)), we didn't have any troubles.
Ace is a big proponent of daytime travel - primarily because of open range cows that would be difficult to see at night but also I'm sure due to human element.
Also, we retired our Spot and got a Garmin inReach for this trip, which provided a bit of peace of mind that we could compose and send text message via satellite.
A big difference for us, compared to an "expedition" trip in the U.S., was that we didn't take a lot of trails. In many cases, the "roads" that appeared on the map were gravel or had gravel detours. Even when we were on paved roads, there was little traffic and beautiful scenery - I'm talking 5-10 minutes or more without any on-coming or coming-on traffic.
I should also add that we have little Spanish speaking skills, but I did download Google Translate for Spanish, so I could use that without mobile data.
It was encouraging when my wife started talking about "next time we're here..." Broad strokes of a plan to go south on the mainland and then take a ferry to Baja for the trip north, to include whale watching when the whales are teaching the babies to be sociable.

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Well done sir! Great write up and super photos.

Nanc and I will have our new trailer broken in pretty well by this time next year. So hope that Ace will be taking another group to Baja next winter. Ace is a wonderful travel companion and I’m looking forward to spending additional camping time with him in the future. How does he like his new trailer?

I’ll be asking Wifey to read your report. We’re both looking forward to getting down there.

Dale

FinsUp

Adventurer
Great write up!
We are planning a Baja trip next Christmas break. I will be showing your report to my wife.

alexplb

You paint a rosy picture but I am down here right now and I can tell you its no picnic.
I have been knifed several times since I got here and picked up numerous STDs even though I have had no sexual contact whatsoever.
No one with any sense would come down here.
Its just not safe .
Stay home.
Try Hawaii instead.

Oh and the manta rays have been jumping non stop also. They can get over 12 feet out of the water and onto the beach and have been stinging tourists right in the face.
pictures or it didn't happen ? :))

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Well done sir! Great write up and super photos.

Nanc and I will have our new trailer broken in pretty well by this time next year. So hope that Ace will be taking another group to Baja next winter. Ace is a wonderful travel companion and I’m looking forward to spending additional camping time with him in the future. How does he like his new trailer?

I’ll be asking Wifey to read your report. We’re both looking forward to getting down there.

Dale

Thanks for the compliment Dale but as you now know I’m not planning on a return trip to Baja. Ten trips over a 49 year period is enough. Earlier on in this report I believe DIrk called me a reluctant leader. He’s right; if he & Laurie and Jeff & Wendy hadn’t signed up I might have cancelled the trip. The Baja experience has faded for me.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizzyspots

Adventurer
Great report..we 1st went down as a group in 07...spent 10 days round trip from Yuma to San Ignacio lagoon and back...fell in love with Gonzaga Bay and have been returning twice a year since!! Thanks for refreshing our memories of the 1st trip (07 FJ Cruiser, kayak on top pulling a USA Venturcraft "Trailblazer" off road camper///now in a crew cab dually 4wd with a full size truck camper and towing an 18ft boat!!)

DVD

Adventurer
Updated with Ace's corrections -- 10 Baja trips is still very impressive!
Fun to reread and recall a great trip! Hope some of the folks commenting get a chance to enjoy what Baja has to offer!

dman93

Adventurer
I’m a 60+ year old California native who had never been to Mexico until the fall of 2017, when my wife and I crossed the border at Mexicali in our Tacoma and headed towards Laguna Hanson to camp in the Parque National, then on to beach camping in San Felipe, a night at Alfonsina’s, a stop at Coco’s Corner followed by a few nights camping in Bahia de Los Angeles, etc. Perfect weather though some wind, good food, friendly people, completely safe, and overall a great time. Why did I wait so long to discover Baja?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles