Vintage Dual-Sport.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Do any of you ride vintage bikes?

At the end of March I got something back that I feared might be gone forever. My dad's 1973 Kawasaki F9 Bighorn.

Dad bought this bike new in 1973 and put about 3800 miles on it. He traded it to his cousin in 1998 for a "woodstove" of all things. I didn't know he was thinking about getting rid of it and it came as a big surprise as I always wanted it in my garage at some point.

Out of the blue my dad's cousin, Charlie, dropped by my house with the bike. He is in the process of moving and decided to give it to me rather than fill up his new garage with it. It now has 3900 miles on it.

I couldn't properly express to him how much gratitude I felt and how much I appreciated his generosity. This bike probably wouldn't be worth $500 to many people, but it means the world to me. I VIVIDLY remember riding 2-up with my dad whenI was a kid holding on to the center bar of the handle bars. As I got older I was able to ride "behind" him on the seat and actually put my feet on the rear pegs.

About the time I got good riding on the back, we were crossing a creek (a ditch really) and got stuck. I was probably 8 years old and remember looking back to see the "rooster tail". The force of the mud knocked off my "bubble goggles" and pushed mud in my eye clear up under the eyelid! I screamed, Dad dropped the bike in the creek (still running) and ran with me to the house. He and mom held my head under the bathtub facet until the water ran clear. I remember it hurt like heck. I couldn't wait to go for another ride!

350comeshome.jpg
350comeshome_202.jpg

Charliebrings350home.jpg
charliebrings350home_319.jpg

Bike is completely original. Dad put that back tire on it the day he brought it home from the dealer. I need to replace the tires, clean it up, knock off a little rust and get it licensed. I've put about 20 miles on it so far just riding it around the neighborhood (.5 mile long cul-de-sac).

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
All bikes are good.

That one is excellent! I'd be happy to have anything that original and cool in the stable!

-H-

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I'm a sucker for old machinery and that is a sweet old bike. Originality aside, the memories that you have that are attached to that bike are what make it worth a ton.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
JeepN95YJ said:
I've put about 20 miles on it so far just riding it around the neighborhood (.5 mile long cul-de-sac).

40 laps.. :D

Congrats on getting the bike back, i completely understand what it means to ya.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
OverlandXJ said:
40 laps.. :D

:av-7:

LOL... You know it!

Thanks all. This bike IS priceless to me. Cousin Charlie put chainsaw gas in the tank along with the normal 2-stroke oil in the injection tank so my neighbors just smile-n-nod politely as I ride around the neighborhood with the tell-tale smoke-screen following behind. (There goes that crazy Jeep-guy, again...)

You can see a smoke trail in the picture with Charlie after he first got it started.

Jerry (starts on the 32nd kick....EVERY time!)

Rightovercrest

Great looking bike! I sold my F7 a few months ago and that thing was a tank. The only issue was trying to tune the carb thanks to the funky cover.

flywgn

Explorer
Now that is just a great story. I need go no further tonight. Think I'll get back to the book I'm reading.

Many thanks.

Allen R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier