Vikings 2500 everything build

UglyViking

Awesome truck, looking forward to following this. Where in NE are you?
Live Free or Die state (NH)

100mm Series 55 rail system, carbon arms, universal phone mount. Fits in that spot above the head unit nicely. You will need to drill two holes.
I'm going to be ordering that same system tomorrow hopefully. What length arm did you get?

Fiat builds a pretty decent light-duty pickup, but I still think you need a Honda Civic, a Wrangler Rubicon, and some old hoopty to tinker with.

As I said, if and when you buy something that needs to be towed occasionally, just rent a RWD truck occasionally to tow it.

None of your actual needs or goals require the truck that you bought, nor do they require the modifications that you're talking about.

If you're doing this simply because you "want" to, then jusy say so, because there is no actual justification for it.
Firstly, I think you're confusing your opinion with fact. There are a ton of guys who have "do it all" trucks (both mid and full sized) like I am planning and have no issue. I get what you're driving at, and maybe that would have been the smart financial decision, but it's not the direction I went.

Second, I don't recall saying that I "need" any of this, I think it's pretty clear this is a wants/desires sort of thing. To be frank, I'm not attempting to justify to you or anyone on this site, and your comment that there is "no actual justification" is an opinion, a fine one, but an opinion none the less.

Not trying to be a jerk here, you seem to have strong opinions on this, which is fine but I want it known that I've also got strong opinions and since this is my build they win :)

I’m looking forward to the build! I’m doing the same thing as well but not my daily driver. I’ve done the multiple rig thing and wasn’t happy. As long as it works for you don’t worry what others think.

Yeah, I had a wrangler and audi in the past and was pretty happy with that combo for the most part but it was 2 vehicles to insure, register, inspect (yearly inspections here) maintenance, etc. I think if I ever get to the point of taking really intense trails, or doing serious backcountry exploration or such, I may find myself with two vehicles. I'm sure in a year or two I'll regret not getting a jeep due to the smaller size, but had I bought the jeep I'd regret not getting the ram for the engine/size. So far I'm just stoked to have a diesel truck after all these years and am super excited about the mods to it and getting out and enjoying it on some trails and such.

UglyViking

Figured I'd share a little update. Tires are here, full Thuren kit is here minus shocks (I guess they had an issue with lost order so trying to sort that out), AEV wheels are being shipped out, hopefully get them this week.

I hit up Main Line Overland in Bow, NH this week to get some soft shackles, rear recovery hitch, tire repair kit and tire inflation setup. I'm putting in an order for 67 designs setup right now to mount my Yaesu. I ordered a third brake light antenna mount from Bullet Proof Diesel that was pretty crazy expensive, but I love how factory it looks and I'll be able to use it with or without a cap.

I met a few guys online through one of the local vehicle adventure groups and mentioned wanting to take my truck out. I'm heading up to northern VT (near Burlington) in early September to do some light trails, photo ops and camping. Pretty excited for my first trip in the new truck and it's the first time I've had the chance to get out for any sort of adventure this year because of the new baby at home.

Fingers crossed the wheels and shocks get here ASAP, I dropped so much coin on suspension I'd love to be able to have it for the first trip.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well hopefully you get the overland shocks I time. I am on week 15 now for my kings lol. I just ordered the Fox ATS steering stabilizer. Did you order the axle truss? I’m out in the desert a lot and they highly recommended doing it immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UglyViking

Wasn't expecting to update so quickly, but here we are.

So turns out Thuren had included the overland shocks in what they sent. I hadn't noticed since it wasn't on the list and I haven't had a chance to open everything. So I've got some overlands to tide me over until the Kings get here.

I also shot out a message to CJC offroad (where I purchased my AEV wheels) to ask if they had tracking since the wheels were being dropshipped direct from AEV for speed, and less than 20 mins later I was outside to check the mail and saw the wheels.

I've not got everything to install the suspension and wheel/tire setup. I'm beyond excited. I already have a handful of rough roads to get a sense of before and after just for daily concern. I'm sure the Kings will be even better but I'm told their Overlands are still better than factory and the softer rate springs ride amazing. Can't wait to test it all out. Plus this now gives me time to ride around and re-torque everything to spec before my trip, and it's gonna make the photo ops that much better!

Anyway, I figured I'd update since I am excited and also to clarify about the delay I thought I was experiencing wasn't Thuren's fault but my own.

gtbensley

Explorer
Looking forward to the updates.

You and I are probably close by...I am also in NH and close to Main Line Overland.

Hit me up if you want some remote neat places to check out in northern VT.

bas157

Not sure if you've decided on a cap yet, but I saw a few of the RSI caps that they were using for focus groups before the launch and they seemed very nicely constructed. Some nice features and just seemed like a very high quality cap to me. They should cost more than the fiberglass, but I think they would hold up better (and have much higher resale value if that point ever comes).

UglyViking

Looking forward to the updates.

You and I are probably close by...I am also in NH and close to Main Line Overland.

Hit me up if you want some remote neat places to check out in northern VT.

That sounds great! I'm actually going to be up in northern VT in 2 weeks doing some local trails. Hopefully the first of many. I'll def have to sync up with you soon.

Not sure if you've decided on a cap yet, but I saw a few of the RSI caps that they were using for focus groups before the launch and they seemed very nicely constructed. Some nice features and just seemed like a very high quality cap to me. They should cost more than the fiberglass, but I think they would hold up better (and have much higher resale value if that point ever comes).

I've been looking into the RSI caps. I like the idea of the durability and ability to replace panels (assuming they offer that), cost is def higher but hopefully it's offset. I've actually got a request to mainline overland right now to see if the tailgate and operate independently from the cap. That is my biggest hold up in the cap right now. I want something where I can access the bed without having to pull out a key and unlock it.

UglyViking

Well, this week is the big one as far as mods installed goes. I pulled off all the badges and swapped 2 with night edition badges and the rest were just removed. Looks night and day better in my eyes. I don't have much time due to work and other commitments before this trip coming up so I decided to pay a local shop to install the Thuren kit for me. Def some extra cost out of pocket but one less thing I need to think about and it will guarantee that everything is installed correctly before the trip. Not that it's hard to swap springs, track bars and shocks but I don't have a day to commit to it with all the other stuff right now. Including a pic with the updates of badges, will include another once the kit and wheel/tires are installed. Hopefully have it back before the weekend.

This weeks install:
  • Thuren suspension with Overland shocks (Kings are an additional 5 weeks delayed)
  • 17" AEV Katla wheels
  • 37" Falken AT3Ws
  • Full paint ceramic coating
Next week (assuming there is time)
  • Yaesu radio install
  • 67 Designs mount
  • 3rd brake light antenna mount
20200831_080341.jpg
Mostly debadged, dirty and ready for some suspension upgrades

UglyViking

Well here we are with some suspension, wheel and tire upgrades and getting the radio mostly installed.
20200906_171104.jpg
Fancy photo

I had a local shop install the suspension as I heard from multiple sources that I really needed 4 jack stands and 2 jacks. I don't really have the garage space at the moment so store all that, nor did I have the time to be running around grabbing everything I needed for it so I farmed the install out. Kind of a bummer since I was looking forward to some wrenching on it but I wanted to have it for my upcoming trip knowing it may be one of 2 I get this year max. 2D Diesel is the shop if any of you are NH locals looking for a solid guy.

I still need to get the alignment done, and I'm currently running balance beads, but so far I'm unsure if I'll stick with them or go back to stick ons. I was getting a bit of vibration on the highway, but that could be the fact that it's out of alignment, so I'm waiting till I can get it sorted before I decide on anything.

20200907_132114.jpg

I installed a 3rd brake light mounted antenna for the ham, install was a it of a pain to cleanly wire the cable but mostly because I didn't want to pull the whole headliner. The bracket is very solid and it's one of the cleanest designs I could see. I played with the idea of mounting on the hood but I wanted to keep the clean lines of the truck as much as possible and didn't want to risk a leak. Time will tell how leak proof this design is but looks very solid, had solid foam and needed to be "crushed down" to seal so I'm thinking it will be good.

I installed the 67 designs mount on the top of the radio in the little change holder. I had initially attempted to use the rivnuts, but that was a pretty serious failure. The plastic isn't really hard enough to act as a barrier from what I can tell so the nut basically crushes out into the plastic, which just causes the hole to widen further. I'll probably either buy a new upper trim piece since I scratched it pretty good or just but a large surface area washer and switch it out. I trust it with just the weight I have for the ham but once I look to add more I think the leverage is going to be a bit much. I'll upgrade the washers before then.

I also bought and installed a Edge CTS3 so I can start monitoring the vitals. I'm currently not tuned or anything but I wanted to get in the habit of monitoring everything so it becomes second nature, this gives me the chance without worrying since it's still stock. Also gives me a chance to understand what current numbers look like so I can compare that with the eventual tune.

20200907_132202 (1).jpg

I'll upload some more pictures once I get a chance and plan to take a few on my trip to VT next Friday. Last things I really "need" to do for my trip is install the power for the radio and confirm I didn't wreck anything during the install. Then going to install a mic extension cable I found instructions for online so I can easily connect/disconnect it.

So my next mods are still up in the air but here is the rough plan:
  • Amp steps (thing is a bit more challenging to get up into now) the Mrs has already started the attack on the height so this will be soon
  • Still debating on a cap/tonneau or decked. I'm currently leaning decked since it keeps the truck looking like a truck, doesn't interfere with bed access (no extra keys) and has some secure storage for recovery, trailer and hunting/gun stuff (hopefully decked will have a sale soon, maybe a black friday/cyber monday) Plus of the decked is that I can keep it if I decide on a cap or rack, where as tonneau is just lost money at that point
  • probably some undercarriage protection and protection for the body.

GreggNY

Truck is coming along nicely! How does the Thuren kit ride? Any rubbing with that wheel/tire combo?

UglyViking

So far no rubbing at all. "luckily" the truck had a fair amount of dust from driving it home and I did a few lock to lock turns forward and reverse to see, so far nothing that I can see. I'll learn more once I get her into some trails in VT next weekend.

The Thuren kit rides better than stock, but I am holding off on more feedback beyond that at the moment. I've not had a chance to get it aligned and the tire shop set the pressure to 60psi so I want to hold off a full review until I can get her aligned and take her off road. It's removed a lot of the harshness in some of my local roads for sure, what used to bump me out of my seat slightly is a lot less noticeable, and it's even better at speed. Beyond that I'll give full thoughts once I've got it dialed in and can talk more to it's offroad performance. I'm eager to compare it before/after with the Kings whenever they show up.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I went 50 front and 40 psi rear.... might need to go lower still. Need to get the alphaobd program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne