Vikings 2500 everything build

UglyViking

Hey all, been lurking for a bit and decided I'd post a build I'm starting as a fun easy intro into the community. This build may be a little outside the normal for this group but I'm a little outside the normal so it fits.

This will be, by far, the most expensive build I've ever done and it's on one of my dream trucks so I'm amped. I've had a handful of trucks in the past ranging from old chevy blazers (90s versions, not the ultra cool K5) to a jk wrangler and fullsized 1500s. For numerous reasons I've had to trade or junk trucks due to life situation changing up pretty drastically. Luckily, I'm now at a place where unless something crazy happens I have a house with enough land to park it in the event I ever need a second vehicle and don't have to worry about city driving a large truck. I've always loved diesel trucks and I also like to be a child sometimes so this build will be a bit of a combo of daily driver that I can have fun with that also gets me out into the mountains and on longer trips.

Which brings me to the reason for a 2500 diesel. I recently had my first kid and his arrival really changed a lot of how I view the world. Seeing him grow so fast now has me feeling like everything is going too fast. I'm a bit of a workaholic and never really take much vacation outside of a day here and there. I work for a great company and got a decent amount of vacation time as well as some paternity leave so I'm planning to do a lot of local exploring in the new england area, light trails, coastal drives, deep woods camping/hunting. I'm also looking to buy a used travel trailer to take some longer vacations out west as I've always wanted to go but never have.

I say all that so state that my build needs to do a lot, like I'd imagine most of us in here. It will be my daily driver, my weekend trail adventure rig, my towing rig a few times a year, etc. Here is the truck as it sits:
20200713_183048.jpg

2019 2500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
Anti-spin rear axle with 3.73s
Level 2 package
Towing tech package
Sport appearance

Current Mods:
  • None
Mods on order/awaiting install:
  • Night edition parts swap (ordered a few emblems, headlights and taillights will wait for a bit, mirrors will be plastidipped for now)
  • Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 37"
  • Full Thuren build
    • 2.75" front, 1" rear coils​
    • King 3.0 front, 2.5 rear​
    • Track bar front and rear​
    • King steering damper​
  • 17" AEV Katla wheels in black
  • Yaesu FTM-400XDR (will start with a magnet mount and figure a permanent solution once I decide on cap and roof rack)
Mods I need to decide between and/or order:
  • 67 designs or proclip mount for radio and garmin/ipad for nav (haven't decided between the two options yet)
  • Leer or RSI cap (90% sure I'm going with leer because of ability to access the bed with the remote, but RSI claims that I can drop the tailgate without unlocking the hatch, so I may go that route)
  • Slim roof rack I can use for storage as well as a RTT
  • RTT, looking at roofnest falcon xl but may lean to something I can leave winter bedding in (I think the falcon is too slim)
  • Maybe a decked system, probably will start off with plywood and see how I like the function with storage under
Future Mods: (here is where I'm still very uncertain of what options I'll want/need to get to my goals, much research needs to be done)
  • Mopar Tailgate step (currently waiting for the step to become available again)
  • AMP Research powered steps
  • Tune (once I'm comfortable the Engine isn't going to grenade)
  • Edge CST3 monitor
  • Change gear ratio to match "permanent" tire size
  • Possibly AEV high mark flares with 41s (there will need to be a lot of supporting mods with this, so I really need to weigh the options)
  • 68RFE valve body upgrade
  • 2nd gen manifold swap
  • % over stock injectors
  • probably a compound turbo setup in the fullness of time
  • fuel pump
  • etc.
As you may be able to tell, there is also a decent amount of performance mods on my truck, as I said it's a do it all rig for me so I still want to have "fun" with it in addition to it being reliable.

Anyway, excited about the build, excited about getting out to hit more trails and do more solo stuff, excited about adventures with the mrs and kiddo with a travel trailer, just excited overall! haha. Please hit me up if you have thoughts on any of my build and/or questions on why I did/am doing whatever.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Don't touch anything under the bonnet or tuning. The truck's setup really nice. The manufacturer will kill the warranty with any modifications. The Thuren system is superb. The Katla's are good wheels but getting a 17" tire to meet the manufacturers specs is nearly impossible. The Toyo MT and Nitto Duragrappler come to mind. Nearly all others only have a 3195# rating. A Method 305 NVHD 18" wheel would give you excess capacity for the future if you want to tow heavy or throw a cabover or poptop on there.

UglyViking

Don't touch anything under the bonnet or tuning. The truck's setup really nice. The manufacturer will kill the warranty with any modifications. The Thuren system is superb. The Katla's are good wheels but getting a 17" tire to meet the manufacturers specs is nearly impossible. The Toyo MT and Nitto Duragrappler come to mind. Nearly all others only have a 3195# rating. A Method 305 NVHD 18" wheel would give you excess capacity for the future if you want to tow heavy or throw a cabover or poptop on there.
I prob should have clarified. I don't plan to touch anything engine related till it's got quite a few miles on it.

As for the wheels, AEV states the rim has a 4100lb load rating, and the tires have a 3525lb load rating. Since the axle rating is 6k then these should all exceed necessary ratings. My understanding is that each tires load rating should be half that of the axle rating. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

It will mark it's territory.
IMHO for your stated uses, 41's sound like an unnecessary waste of resources. Live your dream tho.
Good to know about the magnet mount. I assumed that with the strength of the magnet it wouldn't be an issue?

Edit: meant to respond to the second part. I totally agree, 40s+ are hugely overkill for what I need. The same way that a diesel truck is also overkill for what I need. It's def just the inner kid in me wanting to drive a monster truck, haha. I think with the size of this truck and going to 37s, it's already going to be so tall I won't want to go taller. Believe it or not but I also explored buying a jeep jt or 4runner, but decided to buy the dream instead. Time will tell is the reality meets the dream.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
It’s the the D rated tires that are the issue. i personally would run an 35 inch e rated tire and put a spare under the truck. I have had 7 ram cummins trucks all on 35’s or 37’s, all with kore, thuren or carli suspension.

I won’t run 37’s anymore, not worth it for the added mods you need to support them, such as gears and steering mods.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Hopefully you have your shocks ordered. I ordered the same setup on May 18th and am still waiting on my shocks..

I went with 18” rims and 37 12.50 R18 E Toyo RT’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gillbrak

Awesome platform. 67designs is great quality. Just installed in my PW. Decked is one of the best mods I’ve ever had. Had the drawers on multiple trucks now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTVR

Please hit me up if you have thoughts on any of my build and/or questions on why I did/am doing whatever.

I'm not sure how much your new baby will appreciate 41" tires and compound turbos, but a 4-door 4x4 2500 pickup would probably not be the best choice for solo commuting on the highway or for trail use.

It sounds like you're trying to do too many things with one vehicle, which means that it will probably be compromised in one role, and downright terrible in all the other roles.

You said you have room for several vehicles- I think several vehicles would work better than trying to do all those things with this one.

I'd recommend buying a commuter to commute, a 4WD trail rig for trails, and a hot rod to hot rod.

If and when you buy a trailer that needs to get towed, buy a RWD truck capable of towing it...or if you're only going to tow once in a while, just rent a truck once in a while.

Last edited:

UglyViking

It’s the the D rated tires that are the issue. i personally would run an 35 inch e rated tire and put a spare under the truck. I have had 7 ram cummins trucks all on 35’s or 37’s, all with kore, thuren or carli suspension.

I won’t run 37’s anymore, not worth it for the added mods you need to support them, such as gears and steering mods.
My understanding is that Ram beefed up some of the steering suspension components so I'm hoping that is less an issue, but at the end of the day you have to pay to play.

I'm having a hard time understanding the rating of tires and how it affects towing. If the manufacture states that a specific tire will support more than half the axles max weight, and a wheel will support more than half, then the issue is no longer the tires/wheels but the axle. I don't think the 8 vs 10 ply makes a difference here?

Hopefully you have your shocks ordered. I ordered the same setup on May 18th and am still waiting on my shocks..

I went with 18” rims and 37 12.50 R18 E Toyo RT’s.
I do but still no word. The Kings have been ordered but I've not gotten any info on the overland shocks at the moment. I'm following up today and hopefully I'll get an answer. I was told that their order of shocks was lost by the delivery company.

Awesome platform. 67designs is great quality. Just installed in my PW. Decked is one of the best mods I’ve ever had. Had the drawers on multiple trucks now.
I decided on going with 67designs, quality of their products seems top notch and I like that it gives me flexibility to run 3-4 items off that central area. Still unsure about the decked, I like the idea of storage that I can leave in the back, I'm just worried about losing that space. Once I get the cap I may change my mind.

I'm not sure how much your new baby will appreciate 41" tires and compound turbos, but a 4-door 4x4 2500 pickup would probably not be the best choice for solo commuting on the highway or for trail use.

It sounds like you're trying to do too many things with one vehicle, which means that it will probably be compromised in one role, and downright terrible in all the other roles.

You said you have room for several vehicles, and I think several vehicles would work better than trying to do all those things with this one. I'd recommend buying a commuter to commute, a 4WD trail rig for trails, and a hot rod to hot rod. If and when you buy a trailer that needs to get towed, buy a RWD truck capable of towing it...or if you're only going to tow once in a while, just rent a truck once in a while.
Totally see where you're coming from and it makes sense. Maybe in the future I'll change my mind but as of this moment I'm pretty set on using this truck. It may not end up with 40s, and it may not see the compound turbos but I don't see a problem with it doing all the stuff I need. Generally speaking I'm not commuting to work, def not currently with COVID, and even before it was a short 12 mins to the bus stop so I have no need for a dedicated commuter. Guys have been hotrodding diesel trucks forever and while some of them push the envelope it's very easy to make gobs of additional power with low, if any, hit to reliability.

In the future I may end up with a dedicated trail rig that is smaller for going off road, but that has historically been the lowest on my use scale. While the size limits my trail use it sure makes longer rides more comfortable and the ability to tow my trailer a handful of times a year, and maybe a fishing boat in the future, is a big plus.

Perhaps in a few years I'll be making a post about how I'm downsizing my truck for something smaller, or swapping a single truck for two vehicles, but as of this moment I don't personally feel that way.

I decided on going with 67designs, quality of their products seems top notch and I like that it gives me flexibility to run 3-4 items off that central area. Still unsure about the decked, I like the idea of storage that I can leave in the back, I'm just worried about losing that space. Once I get the cap I may change my mind.
We hear this all the time and wanted to give some context to help address that concern.

1) If you need to take out the system to haul a full load of mulch or something light and bulky then it only takes about 15 minutes to remove. Check out a quick video showing that here.

2) Depending on your truck payload you will still be able to haul most of what any full sized truck is rated for. Here is a shot of a load on a DECKED system (note, the tarp is optional. You could load directly on top but makes clean up take a bit longer. The suspension wouldn't be able to take much more unless you had airbags or a bigger leaf pack.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.55.57 AM.png

GreggNY

What 67 designs mount are you guys using for the 2500? I wasn’t seeing anything on their site so have been running the pro clip this past year

gillbrak

What 67 designs mount are you guys using for the 2500? I wasn’t seeing anything on their site so have been running the pro clip this past year

100mm Series 55 rail system, carbon arms, universal phone mount. Fits in that spot above the head unit nicely. You will need to drill two holes.

89efa01486e1fd91ddccf5b8292dafd6.jpg

MTVR

Fiat builds a pretty decent light-duty pickup, but I still think you need a Honda Civic, a Wrangler Rubicon, and some old hoopty to tinker with.

As I said, if and when you buy something that needs to be towed occasionally, just rent a RWD truck occasionally to tow it.

None of your actual needs or goals require the truck that you bought, nor do they require the modifications that you're talking about.

If you're doing this simply because you "want" to, then jusy say so, because there is no actual justification for it.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
I’m looking forward to the build! I’m doing the same thing as well but not my daily driver. I’ve done the multiple rig thing and wasn’t happy. As long as it works for you don’t worry what others think.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior