Video request - getting to the spark plugs on a 1998 Montero 3.5L

twocommas

Observer
Hey everyone,
I had a youtube series of videos bookmarked that showed how to get to the spark plugs on a SOHC 3.5L (1998 Montero), but it seems those videos are taken down. I searched for others but couldn't find any. Does anyone have a link to a video?

nckwltn

Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMtWHiPnISY I think this is pretty similar to the gen 2.5

the process is pretty simple but time consuming.

Undo air intake
undo a bunch of wiring harnesses
unbolt the top of the intake plenum
unbolt the bottom of the intake plenum

at this point, you will now have access to the valve covers and spark plugs. If you haven't done valve cover gaskets or spark plug shaft gaskets, now would be a good time to do those...

I also recommend picking up new air intake (plenum) gaskets. There are 2, one where the intake his the manifold that sits on top of the valley, and one that goes between the two pieces of the plenum.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I guess you didnt read my post, but I am looking for a video for the 3.5L SOHC engine. I don't see it on your link since you just searched "montero spark plugs".

The engine is the same damn thing up through 2002, of which there is a complete video series on youtube.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMtWHiPnISY I think this is pretty similar to the gen 2.5

the process is pretty simple but time consuming.

Undo air intake
undo a bunch of wiring harnesses
unbolt the top of the intake plenum
unbolt the bottom of the intake plenum

at this point, you will now have access to the valve covers and spark plugs. If you haven't done valve cover gaskets or spark plug shaft gaskets, now would be a good time to do those...

I also recommend picking up new air intake (plenum) gaskets. There are 2, one where the intake his the manifold that sits on top of the valley, and one that goes between the two pieces of the plenum.

I would also like to add that you could do the cam seals since you're in that area

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94