Video for expedition documentation

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks so much all for the great feedback. Along the lines of Johns recommendation, I need reliability and durability above all else. I really like the XL1 but am not sure of the overall image quality. I know it is not HD, but I am not so sure that is a necessity???

There are some decent prices on used XL1's out there. As of this point in my research, the XL1 or XL2 is at the top of the list for overall value and durability.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I have had several video ams over the years and love my panasonic. I have just a small digital dv camera but it is the compact that has the 3 way color chip in it. I think it was about 800 or so and it shoots great and allows for good editing. I also am considering getting a bigger better DV camera like you scott but it will be end of the year.

gjackson

FRGS
Scott while I have done some filming to document my trips, I'm by no means a pro. We got a small, compact, simple camera, a Canon 2P70MC. Worked fine for what I wanted, but not broadcast quality. It was nice to be able to hook up to iMovie and edit clips while on the road. We only posted a few to the web site, and I would have liked to post more. On the new web site I intend to post a bunch more clips. I was not looking for, nor could I afford, the systems you are looking at. As it is I doubt anyone will be wanting to broadcast my stuff! :rolleyes:

cheers

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Panasonic AG-HVX200 is a rocking camera! along with the P2 card technology- HD yeah it's the future - and to truly edit in DV you must be prepared to upgrade your Editing SW - Monitor - drives and well everything - or hire/rent editor + gear - HD is still bleeding edge for the consumer. ( I am in this nirvana as we speak):victory:

Also beyond the camera - the need for filters, lenses - tripods - steadycams - Batteries - chargers - and a few other pieces of equipment should be considered in the buget...

Because many folks are upgrading to new technolgies - many great use deals are all over the internet

Beyond the gear - content is king - a small hand held combined with a creative editor + system - can really create an exciting video for the audience :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94