Victron SmartSolar data and panel output

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Since there have been some great Victron threads lately I figured I should reach out to better minds than mine to see if I am getting all I can out of my 300w panel into my 2 group 31 AGM batteries.
I got out of work early today and noticed that even though the sun was still shining the spot I usually park was in the shade from a tree.
20190918_173341.jpg20190918_173346.jpg

That made me curious to look at the Victron SmartSolar bluetooth app and see if the panel was putting in any power.
This was the SmartSolar screen shot
Screenshot_20190918-173603.jpgScreenshot_20190918-173651.jpg

Then I checked the Victron Battery Monitor info just to be curious.

Screenshot_20190918-173533.jpg

So in another thread it was mentioned that my Victron 75/15 might be too small for this panel and not taking full advantage. But that was in a thread about Lithium batteries and I am not sure if it holds the same for AGM.

One reason I am going for an all Victron setup including a 150Ah Victron Lithium battery is to save a bunch of weight (vs 150lb of AGM right now) and to have all VIctron stuff talking to each other.
However that doesn't mean I want to let any of the crazy Arizona sun get away from me :)

All thoughts welcome, please ask questions or just help me understand all this.

dreadlocks

A pair of AGM's can definitely take advantage of higher bulk rates, 15A would be a good charge rate for just one 100AH FLA, with two, and being AGM that can bulk higher.. well your hurting your input capabilities to say the least.

my 325W panel outputs numbers 2x what your seeing. here's me on memorial day weekend, not even trying that hard:
Screenshot_20190527-154512 (1).png

316W, 313W, 305W Max Yields.. on a 325W Panasonic HIT panel.. I seen that number hit 325W in July/Aug

1leglance

Perfect example of the customer screwing themselves....
I ordered the Victron off Amazon after reading about it....
But I got the panel at Northern Arizona Wind & Solar and just told them "oh I have a controller, no worries". Instead if I had ask for advice or at least made sure my controller was the right one I would have been better off.

Nice thing is the Victron stuff isn't expensive for how happy I have been, so even though I am selling my Tacoma / Treehouse I think I will upgrade the SmartSolar controller for the sake of the next owner.

The 100/20 is $157 and the 100/30 is $226......So which is recommended for a pair of these batteries?
653747.jpg

• Item Number: SLI31AGMDPM
  • Brand: X2Power
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group 31M
  • Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
  • Capacity: 100AH
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 1150
  • Reserve Capacity Minutes: 220
  • Battery Type: Ultimate
  • Capacity 20hr: 100AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Color: Blue Top
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Made in the USA: True
  • Marine Cranking Amps: 1370

SBDuller

Yesterday i was thinking I'd stick with AGM, today, I'm back to thinking Victron battery and not drop-in. Do you have both group 31 in the truck bed? Just wondering where all that weight is.

dreadlocks

I'd get the 30A with that panel and bank, so you can see full output capabilities and your controller is not a bottleneck.. the bank can take it, and when its not.. you can utilize that power and run fridge/fans/etc directly off solar while still giving the battery everything it needs and impeding its charge rate.

The 15A Controller would be really good for a dedicated controller on a portable setup that runs aux panels in a different location/environment.

1leglance

Yesterday i was thinking I'd stick with AGM, today, I'm back to thinking Victron battery and not drop-in. Do you have both group 31 in the truck bed? Just wondering where all that weight is.

Yeah 150lbs of batteries right against the cab end of the bed. I have the Icon stage whatever with RTX or whatever they call their super suspension with bumpstops. Never had any trouble and I drive like a Baja racer on washboards. But it is still a bunch of weight.
And that is why I am thinking Victron Lithium as I can get 100-150 real Amp hours of use for less than 40lbs.....crazy.

1leglance

I'd get the 30A with that panel and bank, so you can see full output capabilities and your controller is not a bottleneck.. the bank can take it, and when its not.. you can utilize that power and run fridge/fans/etc directly off solar while still giving the battery everything it needs and impeding its charge rate.

The 15A Controller would be really good for a dedicated controller on a portable setup that runs aux panels in a different location/environment.

Dude thank you....the only thing making me hesitate is that I hate selling things and putting the 75/15 on a shelf till I give it away would be the reality.
Keeping it for a folding panel controller or something like that makes sense.

Ok I will order up the 100/30 and then I can do some testing before someone buys my Tacoma / Treehouse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier