Victron Energy: Alternator/Solar Charging - LFP Battery System

shade

Blue Seas remote battery switch? 500A, low standby draw. Can be ordered in NO or NC, and will default to that position if the signal is lost.
Maybe. Do you think that would be a better LV disconnect than using a BatteryConnect and relying on an inverter's internal switch?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I think it would work well. Both have their pro/cons, but could be made reliable enough for that purpose.

shade

How would one get the blue sea relay to cut out at a certain voltage point like the Sterling relay?
The Victron BMV-712 can be used as a control device. I'm sure there are other ways, too.

Manual page 16 (pdf 18) discusses the relay.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Post 30 discusses using the bmv to control a relay with inverted logic.

dreadlocks

I tested my BMV-712 for this w/my dumb charger.. I used both battery voltage monitors to measure voltage on both sides of the charge relay.. I had it cut the relay at 14.4v and the power supply was 14.6v.. it would latch because once it dropped the battery from the charger the charger side would jump up to 14.6v.. This let me plug into shore power, charge the battery up then drop the battery and run the trailer off the power supply until I unplugged it then it would go back to running off the battery.

Ive changed it up since and now I'm feeding charge in through my solar charger.. gives me better control.

shade

Page 23 (25) of the manual goes into detail. The BMV-712 relay can go NC or NO, which is handy.

shade

Could I use the same model of your Electricity station( I will call it like that) for charging a tesla model 3, or there are some huge differences?
Nothing in my system would be particularly useful for recharging a Tesla Model 3, but I'm certain that a Victron Energy sourced system could be built to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles