Victron Blue solar 100/30 VS Smartsolar 100/30?

Fatboyz

Observer
Just putting together my system. I will be running 3-100Watt panels into an MPPT controller. What is the difference between the blue solar and the Smartsolar? What are the pros and cons? Both are about the same price from what I can see.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Smart has bluetooth built-in. Blue needs an extra bluetooth dongle plugged in.

hour

Observer
Also worth noting that if you intend on doing any VE Smart Network stuff (ex: transmitting temperature/voltage from a BMV or Smart Battery Sense) you're better off getting the SmartSolar. I had the bluetooth dongle for my BlueSolar to give it bluetooth communications, but apparently an older dongle model that is incompatible with the Smart Network. Could have bought the upgraded dongle for ~$50 but opted to just replace the old controller with the updated SmartSolar one. If you're finding them for similar prices, SmartSolar all the way.

dreadlocks

SmartSolar, the BT APP is awesome and worth the extra.. by the time you buy the dongle its basically moot and same price but now your down a VE.Direct port for future expansion.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea. I bought my Blue 100|30 before the Smart came out. If I had to do it again, I'd get the Smart.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
by the time you buy the dongle its basically moot and same price but now your down a VE.Direct port for future expansion.

Exactly. I had to choose - dongle or round control panel. I chose the control panel. With the Smart, I think I could have both.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I bought the 100/20 Smart version, absolute top of the line gear, I had a cheap controller and saw the Victron units and just had to have it Awesome stuff.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I love my Victron gear, works perfect, solid and no troubles to install

GasPowered

Also worth noting that if you intend on doing any VE Smart Network stuff (ex: transmitting temperature/voltage from a BMV or Smart Battery Sense) you're better off getting the SmartSolar. I had the bluetooth dongle for my BlueSolar to give it bluetooth communications, but apparently an older dongle model that is incompatible with the Smart Network. Could have bought the upgraded dongle for ~$50 but opted to just replace the old controller with the updated SmartSolar one. If you're finding them for similar prices, SmartSolar all the way.

I have the Blue Solar mppt with the dongle and the Blue Smart battery charger hooked up to my trailer battery bank. I can see both on my phone app. I guess I got one of the newer dongles.
Great system!

Cheers

hour

Observer
I have the Blue Solar mppt with the dongle and the Blue Smart battery charger hooked up to my trailer battery bank. I can see both on my phone app. I guess I got one of the newer dongles.
Great system!

Cheers

Sure, I can see things in the app too - but the bluesolar can't communicate with the Victron SmartNetwork (created by a BMV or smart battery sense) if you have the older dongle. Bluetooth connectivity, yes, but allegedly some hardware limitation with older dongles that won't let it receive voltage/temp data from the network

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles