ViAir 400P-A, Air Zenith OBD2, or Puma PD1006 Air Compressors

PHeller

Adventurer
On the ExtremeAir kits, there is nothing to cool the header line. Looks like they go from compressor head to quick release to rubber tubing.

They also don't use pressure switches (the use an open chuck the just vents at all times while running), nor do they use inline switches on the battery clamps. Honestly, the Extreme Outback Portable kits are pretty damn basic for how expensive they are.

Likewise, the Oasis compressor kits do include a pressure switch routed back inside the house (to the on/off toggle I assume) and they also include a purge valve at the outlet too.

After all this research I'm starting to realize that although they might not be CFM powerhouses, the portable available from Smittybuilt and Viair cram a lot of helpful features into a small package.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have done side by side comparison/test between the PUMA and Extreme air Magnum. The Magnum won without question also a much bigger cost.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you've got it covered.
Will look forward to seeing how the project goes. :)

The PD1006 does have a filter, it is just a flat gauze filter in the nose cover.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Both set up had small empty tanks (Magnum tank was slightly larger) using the same 35" tire. Do understand Im a huge fan of the PUMA having manufactured almost 100 mounting set up for Land Cruisers.

Attachments

• IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 70

OklahomaOverland

Pic dump for discussion:

The Puma PD1006:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Separated from tank with plumbing:
attachment.php

PD05 (slightly smaller compressor) separated without plumbing:
attachment.php

And one more...
attachment.php

Ok, now that everybody know what it looks like, here's some of the ExtremeAir Magnum:

This is the old kit:

attachment.php

attachment.php

You'll notice there doesn't appear to be anything in the kit besides the compressor, some cable, and hose. No gauge, no pressure switch, hell, not even an on/off switch! This is the new kit:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The biggest difference I see between the Puma compressors and those used by Extreme Outback are the air filters. The older Puma's and the 24v Puma used air filters. Even on Puma's website they still show the DE07 and PD1006 utilizing filters: http://www.pumaairusa.com/products-08.html

Here are some from a thread discussing air compressors. I'm not sure who makes this or where it came from, but it does demonstrate the pressure switch and other hardware not being connector a tank. I like the little manifold thing holding it all togethe

DSCF7399_zpsk5tvrmgl.jpg

DSCF7400_zpsnf7ces17.jpg
Thanks! A picture is worth 10,000 words.

PHeller

Adventurer
Following up on this ages old thread:

I picked up a PD1006 last year and have been using it occasionally.

One thing is for sure, it's a power hog. It'll kill batteries pretty quick if they aren't being recharged while running, especially anything smaller than a big truck battery.

I've also tried running from an oversized server power supply - no luck. I wanted to be able to run the compressor in the garage when not attached to a car battery. Despite being rated for 45amps, the power supply just didn't provide enough starting amps for the compressor. Which is bummer, because now I find myself needing an "around the house" air compressor/tank and a "trail" air compressor.

I may sell the PD1006 and get a MV50 and cheap air compressor for at home.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Following up on this ages old thread:

I picked up a PD1006 last year and have been using it occasionally.

One thing is for sure, it's a power hog. It'll kill batteries pretty quick if they aren't being recharged while running, especially anything smaller than a big truck battery.

I've also tried running from an oversized server power supply - no luck. I wanted to be able to run the compressor in the garage when not attached to a car battery. Despite being rated for 45amps, the power supply just didn't provide enough starting amps for the compressor. Which is bummer, because now I find myself needing an "around the house" air compressor/tank and a "trail" air compressor.

I may sell the PD1006 and get a MV50 and cheap air compressor for at home.

Have you considered CO2?

PHeller

Adventurer
I use air for a lot more than just tire inflation. We go to the lake regularly and I use a compressor to fill floaties. I ride MTB, so use a compressor on the truck to reseat tubeless tires. And 9/10 when I'm on the trails with the truck I'm not airing down (although last week's trip I was kicking myself for not having my compressor because boy howdy that trail needed soft tire!)

We also sleep in the truck under a topper, so space is a premium in the bed. Will likely be moreso when we inevitably go to a slide-in. I've only got 33's so I don't need anything too serious.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles