VHB questions

Superduty

Adventurer
I have a few 3M VHB questions.

1. Is there a problem out there with counterfeit VHB? I have no reason to believe it is counterfeit, just want to make sure it is truly 5952

2. I bought a roll of 5952 from Amazon Is it normal for there to be no identifier on the actual roll of tape that identifies which kind of VHB it is? I don't see 5952 anywhere.

Here are some photos of what I received. Is this what 5952 normally looks like.

The same roll is $40 at McMaster Carr, but i find that sometimes McMaster prices are off the charts, so I am not sure that is a good indicator.

This wrapper is clearly not from 3M. It appears to be a company that sells VHB through Amazon.

20210907_110032.jpg

20210907_110042.jpg

20210907_110045.jpg

20210907_110048.jpg

Last edited:

GlennA

Adventurer
Yes there is. I ordered a roll a few months ago to secure my transducer to the transon on my boat. I let it cure for 10 days. Good thing I only took a short ride before I checked it. It was hanging by the wire. I reordered the real stuff and have many hours without a problem.

Superduty

Adventurer
Yes there is. I ordered a roll a few months ago to secure my transducer to the transon on my boat. I let it cure for 10 days. Good thing I only took a short ride before I checked it. It was hanging by the wire. I reordered the real stuff and have many hours without a problem.

Where/what did you originally order and from what vendor?

Where did you order the "real stuff" from?

Superduty

Adventurer
OK, let's forget about counterfeit for a minute. I had a feeling most replies would focus on that.

For those that have purchased VHB tape is there an identifier on the tape or the core that indicates what particular VHB tape it is?

If you have some 5952 is there an identifier on it?

Thanks

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
The last batch of VHB from McMaster Carr did not have the model number on it - it was the high temp version too. That tape is incredibly sticky compared to the crap laying around from Amazon - my team is not allowed to order those sorts of materials from Amazon.

I would not trust anything like VHB from Amazon since it is so easily counterfeit/relabeled.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

GlennA

Adventurer
Where/what did you originally order and from what vendor?

Where did you order the "real stuff" from?
I just checked the package. Hitlights.com was the Amazon vendor. The red barriers strip says 3M VHB and the inner cardboard roll say 3 M VHB. No numerical designation. The replacement came from one of the local parts stores . I used all that I bought so I don't know the numerical designator.

dstefan

3M supplies VHB in really large wholesale rolls and a 35 yard roll. The 5 yard versions you see on Amazon have all been pulled off a large roll. Doesn’t mean they're bad necessarily. I have bought two 35 yard rolls so far. They are definitely 5952, but not marked on the rolls. The 35 yard rolls are the only way you’re getting a product thats clearly genuine AFAIK. HOWEVER, plenty of legitimate 5 yard rolls exist on Amazon as well, and I have bought a couple of those and can attest to them being the real deal.

Also, LLPT makes a quality tape. Ive used quite a bit of it in non structural spots and it performs nearly as well as the 3M.
I learned about it through a test Project Farm (really thorough, honest testing on YouTube) did where it out performed 3M on one test and was close on others he did.

If you want to have your VHB really stick use 3Ms primer too

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I bought some VHB on Amazon, and I'm pretty sure it counterfeit. IIRC, the red backer tape did have 3M printed on it. This would be trivial to do. (I used to work for a wire and cable factory, sometimes we'd get calls from customs if we were shipping in cable from China, because they had a shipment coming in with our UL number on it) They will counterfeit anything. DOT labels on helmets, etc.

The packaging was just a large silver anti-static ziplock bag (like for circuit boards) with no marking at all. It also didn't smell right. I sent it back.

Superduty

Adventurer
FWIW, I used the VHB to put up a towel hook in the bathroom. The previous VHB i used would fail within a week. The 5952 has now held it up for 2 weeks - fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles