Very small camping toilet?

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
COVID-19 is a game changer for all travelers. I don't know if I will ever use a campground bathroom again. Just came back from a National Forest trip (dry toilets----did not use them). I was well prepared with a Lugable Loo. BUT: I normally leave my site during the day to go biking, hiking, get groceries, etc. Once I left my site, I spent two hours looking for a trustworthy, not too gross bathroom. Finally stopped at LL Bean and quickly learned what "toilet plume" from the previous occupant is. Read about it in today's New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/...ck&module=Science Technology&pgtype=Homepage

Assume a compact car passing through a built-up area with no trees for privacy. 5-gallon bucket is obviously too large to use in the vehicle. What could you use for a small toilet for solid waste? I was thinking maybe a small plastic Igloo cooler with a flat lid. Any other ideas? Please no "Don't be so paranoid"---I'm in two high-risk groups for COVID-19. I've got the campsite angle figured out. Need to figure out offsite, in town.

CCH

Adventurer
This isn't exactly "very small", but it is certainly smaller than a 5 gallon bucket and allows you to safely throw out solid waste. They are stout. Can't really picture using it in a compact car, but it would be possible in an SUV or van. Maybe it will give you some other ideas. Perhaps there is a more compact way to deploy their bags which are the heart of the system.

BrewsterII

I use a Thunderbox clone sold by Ironman 4X4. Its about as compact as you can get. Use it with the bags and powder, or dig a hole. I don't know of anything smaller/compact.

The 3 legged one by PETT is decent, just be careful when you go to wipe, as you lean to one side it wants to "tricycle" on you.

IMG_1120.jpgIMG_1119.jpgIMG_1118.jpg

Last edited:

Charles R

Adventurer
I saw this guy in the vendor area at an "off road expo" a year or so back. I thought it was a pretty solid idea.

DiscoDino

Observer
We have been using this for the whole family (and the big guys as well) and it is compact, sturdy, and you can double bag if needed (one large trash bag over the seat so all the business is inside, some sand to contain and absorb, close well, and then put in a smaller bag and ultimately in the trash bag). Or hole as mentioned:

Cheap and simple.

Almerte

I believe a toilet chair made of whatever will be a good decision for you. The market offer lots of model of compact chairs.
Btw, thanks for the info about "toilet plume", I've never thought about that.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Is biodegradable somehow important ?
I suppose good if its tossed out the window, But if landfilled ?
So you're going to carry solidified ******** with you until you hit a landfill? If you're reluctant to sit on a campground vault type toilet at least you could drop the waste in and would know it would break down. If someone's concerned about droplets using a standard flush toilet eat a lot of fiber and make it a short one while holding your breath and exiting. I was mostly concerned with the plastic bag itself. The bag would have to be sturdy to avoid a blowout.

jadmt

ignore button user
So you're going to carry solidified **** with you until you hit a landfill? If you're reluctant to sit on a campground vault type toilet at least you could drop the waste in and would know it would break down. If someone's concerned about droplets using a standard flush toilet eat a lot of fiber and make it a short one while holding your breath and exiting. I was mostly concerned with the plastic bag itself. The bag would have to be sturdy to avoid a blowout.
no need to carry it to a landfill just throw it in any trash can. The poo powder turns it to a brick and completely safe. Been using it for years and no odor no mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles