Very GRABBY brakes on my '99 Yukon

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Ok guys, just starting to learn all of the silly stuff about this year. The truck is good so far, but the brakes are super sensitive! No matter how I try to come to a nice stop, they are so grabby, almost to the point that you can't control it. If you are driving slow out of parking lot or on the trail, forget it. One can plan on being lurched forward the entire time. So, any ideas? I will be redoing the front brakes pretty soon, maybe this weekend. It will get new rotors, calipers, and ceramic pads. It seems more like a proportioning problem though. Thanks.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Does it have disc or drums on the back? If it's drums - pull them and take a peek at the shoes, my guess is that they'll be wet (seems counter intuitive - but I've seen it before).

I've only seen a couple of proportional valve problems (meaning: I haven't seen it all), but every one of them showed symptoms that are completely opposite of what you are experiencing (required a lot of pedal pressure to get minimal braking).

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Does it have disc or drums on the back? If it's drums - pull them and take a peek at the shoes, my guess is that they'll be wet (seems counter intuitive - but I've seen it before).

I've only seen a couple of proportional valve problems (meaning: I haven't seen it all), but every one of them showed symptoms that are completely opposite of what you are experiencing (required a lot of pedal pressure to get minimal braking).

Be wet with brake fluid or just wet in general? I'll pull them this weekend. I am also going to be doing the front brakes, so I'll check rears as well. Thanks for the input!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I hope not. I see absolutely zero seepage from the drum area, the underneath, or the tires. it doesn't even have that "wet" look that you see when something is leaking even if ever so slightly. I am still going to take a look. I may be able to pull them tomorrow or this eve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles