Very cool recovery of a stuck Unicat

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Were they digging holes in front of the Land Cruisers' tires to prevent them from being pulled forward? -- Seems like a good idea.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wonder how they went about finding so many Land Cruisers to help? Lots of white faces too. Does Botswana have a large white population or are those people also expeditioners?

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Looked like textbook work per the Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide - nice to see it in action.

I thought I read somewhere that the maximum torque/pulling power from a winch is derived when there is the least amount of cable on the drum (within safety limits, of course - the five raps, for example), but perhaps I'm remembering backwards. :) If I'm right, though, wouldn't the lead winches have been more effective if they started further away from the Unicat?

-n

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Wonder how they went about finding so many Land Cruisers to help? Lots of white faces too. Does Botswana have a large white population or are those people also expeditioners?

Those are South African licence plates on the vehicles. So many Safricans go to Bots that it gets like the mall at times

jcbrandon

Explorer
Excellent.

That's what, six?! snatch blocks in use for a single recovery.

...maximum torque/pulling power from a winch is derived when there is the least amount of cable on the drum ...wouldn't the lead winches have been more effective if they started further away from the Unicat?

I think they were. There were four lengths of line from each winch truck to the stuck truck. Figure perhaps 100 feet of line on each drum and the distance looks about right.

78Bronco

Explorer
Stuck unicat...

exactly the reason I never want a giant land anchor for an expedition rig. The bigger the truck the bigger the stuck. Good thing this person was able to wrangle up some pulling power.:coffee:

Willman

That is one cool planned recovery!

I bet the Unicat guy had a pretty good bar tab that night!

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94