Versatile off road open utility/camping trailer build

gatorgrizz27

This thing has been a long time coming, and has been designed and revised in my head for a couple of years.

Purpose #1 is to replace my decade old, heavily abused Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer. I own a finish carpentry business and have a 6x12 enclosed trailer and a dump trailer, but there are plenty of things a small open trailer is still useful for.

Purpose #2 is to haul gear and toys for camping trips. My dad had a small trailer built when I was a kid with an extended tongue and waterproof cover to carry our canoe and equipment and it worked really well. He passed away last year and I also inherited a half-finished cedar strip canoe from somebody else, something he’d wanted to do. The combo should be a neat tribute to him as we raise our 2 and 4 year old boys taking camping trips and paddling.

The requirements were fairly extensive, I tend to engineer and analyze things to work as well as possible ahead of time, so hopefully this is a success.

1. Be large enough to be useful in actually hauling things, but small enough to not be a nightmare in the woods. We often carry pallets of plywood, so a minimum of a 4’x8’ deck was required, and the canoe is 16’, so I wanted to fit it without extensions. I also need to be able to transport my zero turn mower which requires 54” between the fenders.

I built the deck at 102” long and extended the 48” wide 14 gauge steel sheet I used for the deck with 1/4” x 2” flat bar strips down the sides, which also allows me to easily mount the tie down rails for requirement #2.

I also built a 26” tall “front wall/headache rack” which stops things from sliding forward, acts as the front portion of a lumber/canoe rack, and has two hitch receivers welded into it which also helps with requirement #2.

2. Allow almost anything to be attached/tied down to it, without any rattling. There a bunch of items that are a pain to secure on most trailers, specifically things like welding gas cylinders, jerry cans, canoe paddles, etc, and fixed tie down rings are almost always in the wrong places.

I ended up choosing to use L-Track to deal with this, and have 96” long strips down each side, along with 48” strips on each side of the front wall. This allows me to secure mountain bikes with front QR brackets, dirt bike wheel chocks, tie down rings for the mower, etc. It will hold 4 of the 7 gallon aqua tainers on the back side of the wall, along with a 20 lb propane tank and 2 Jerry cans on the front side of the wall.

The 2” receivers (I welded one in the rear as well) let me add basically any specialty mount, and allows for future adaptations without cutting/welding/modifying the trailer itself. So far I have a chainsaw bracket, cylinder/tank mount, cargo basket, bike rack, license plate bracket/rear step, and a 2000 lb Warn winch that can be mounted in them.

Each side has 4 stake pockets which are spaced at varying distances, allowing sides, mounts, or racks to be dropped in. They will have 3/8” nuts welded on to secure attachments with hand knobs.

The other part of this is a rear arch that matches the height of the front wall and drops into any of the stake pockets to support long items in the rear, or allow a future roof top tent, etc to be mounted.

3. Have a simple but useful electrical system, I didn’t want to get carried away with this.

I had already built a portable power pack which is just a deep cycle battery in a box with a 12v socket, USB sockets, ARB fridge plug, and 50 amp quick connect. It has a built in fuse and switch also.

I have hard mounted three switches with a fuse panel in the tongue box to control various lights, as well as a pass though port, and the battery box will plug into this via the ARB plug, which allows me to quickly remove it and use it elsewhere.

4. Be able to keep luggage dry when traveling.

I didn’t want some massive box to remove and store when not in use, so I found a 70” x 43” rooftop dry bag which will quickly tie down to the L-track rails and hold duffel bags, strollers, etc when needed.

5. Be smooth riding and off road capable, within reason.

I already had a 3500 lb, 4” drop axle from another project that was very close to the right width for this trailer. I looked at the Timbren trailing arm suspension kits but they seemed overkill for my needs and I didn’t like the cost and potential alignment issues. I then found Timbren’s silent ride suspension kits and ordered the 2000 lb one for $300.
It uses the rubber springs but still has a straight axle. I flipped the drop axle upside down as there was no camber pressed into it, so I have 16” clearance under the tube. The mounts weld onto the axle tube so I’m not worried about it rotating in the U-bolts over time.

I have BFG KO2’s on my tow vehicle and enclosed trailer, so I went with them in the smallest size available for this trailer, 215/75r15. I was trying to keep the frame height from getting too tall with the axle and suspension, with these tires the deck height is 24” which is a good balance between loading and clearance.

I didn’t mess with trying to match the tow vehicle tires and bolt pattern, as it‘s Land Rover so there are no matching trailer hubs available and I didn’t want to use spacers/adapters.

For normal use, I have a regular 2” ball coupler, for off road use I have a lunette ring and will be building a high clearance pintle hitch for my town vehicle.

Here’s the version 2.0 sketch, which I close to what I’ve been building.

22DEC263-AFCF-46A1-85A3-10D1A7417DB9.jpeg

Last edited:

gatorgrizz27

The frame is 3” channel, which was chosen primarily because of cost over rectangular tube with steel prices being what they are, but it’s a decent trailer building material IMO. I actually wanted a little bit of weight to this thing as it may only be carrying a canoe and mountain bikes when on dirt roads or off road, and it keep it from beating things to death.

94A69C9A-5AF8-4D4E-A830-174C1B9C43B2.jpeg

Crossmembers ended up evenly spaced at 17”, frames in the tongue box on both sides also.

C09C0389-D201-45ED-A4E3-753B62A4894F.jpeg

EC0126A7-A22B-4BE2-9A8B-9F8DE0DA467A.jpeg

pigsammy

Looks great so far, can't wait to see more.

I had no idea Timbren made such a suspension. I'll have to keep this in mind for future builds and upgrades.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Looks great so far, can't wait to see more.

I had no idea Timbren made such a suspension. I'll have to keep this in mind for future builds and upgrades.

ya, the Silent Ride suspension is pretty much the big brother of our Axle-Less trailer suspension. We also offer fully equalized tandem axle models of the Silent Ride. If Ground clearance isn't something you're desperate for then it's a great option.

gatorgrizz27

Hey guys, will post some more tomorrow. Here’s a shot of the suspension, I think the tires measure somewhere around 26-27” tall and I have 16” clearance under the axle. Ground clearance did matter to me as the tow vehicle has IFS/IRS so it doesn’t drag the diffs in ruts, but I should have plenty given that this isn’t a tiny little Jeep trailer. I was pleased that it ended up being narrower than both the tow vehicle mirrors and a full size truck by a couple inches.

0AC4806B-55B5-4BCE-B0D7-6F7DD07ACBC6.jpeg

Happy to see the guys from Timbren over here, I’ve been meaning to call and ask a question. This is the 2000 lb silent ride which has the same sized trailing arms, brackets, etc as the 3500 lb from my understanding.

Most of the time it will be loaded lightly, but occasionally it will be loaded to over 2000 lb, (but under 3500 lb), on road use only. I’m assuming the spring rates of the Aeon springs are almost logarithmic rather than linear as they are overloaded, and don’t actually “bottom out” within reason. If this is the case I know ride quality will suffer and it may put more stress on the axle, but it shouldn’t harm any of the Timbren suspension components, correct?

Last edited:

gatorgrizz27

Been using it a decent amount but been too busy with work to actually get it “finished” yet. Have a new guy starting the week after next that I’m hoping works out to give me a little more free time to finish this.

Will try to at least post a few updates of the other features/attachments.

Also picked up a GSP pup yesterday, moved the cedar strip canoe project over to the new shop on Friday, and have been contemplating pulling my RRC out of storage and getting working on it, so I’ll be busy for awhile…

schaumi

Wow. This looks awesome! I’d love to see more detailed pics. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

gatorgrizz27

Small update, not a whole lot of progress to report but it’s been seeing a decent amount of use. Ready to get going on the home stretch and have it not covered in rust.

It’s done really well hauling everything I’ve put on it so far, no photos of the pallets of plywood but it has more margin in terms of deck space and weight capacity than the 4x8 it replaced, so success there.

I broke down and bought a golf cart last month, I’ve looked at them on and off for awhile and wanted one since I was a kid, so I finally found a decent deal and pulled the trigger. Fits great on the trailer and stuff like this is a huge reason I went with the welded on headache rack. In the event of an accident, it’s not coming through the back window of the tow vehicle.

The rear jacks also allow you to load/unload stuff like this without being hooked up to a vehicle, which is super handy. Their main purpose is to level/steady the trailer while in camp, and also to change a tire on the side of the road if necessary.

8E56C011-33CB-4777-AE88-F60E4D4E3716.jpeg

I had figured out a sleek and integrated solution for the dirt bike ramp, but carrying the long ramps for the golf cart and mower was still a pain. I figured out that I can mount some short pieces of rectangular tubing to the sides of them and they will stand up in the stake pockets. It works perfectly, they run from the front wall back and leave the last pocket open for the arch to slide into, as also function as side rails. Not done yet but figuring it out was the hard part.

Used the golf cart to pick up the Christmas tree from the scout group sale in the neighborhood, pup photo as well. He is doing great and finally requiring less constant attention. True to form, the golf cart is turning into a project of its own as well. I’m mostly done with converting it to 48v and upgrading the electronics for more speed/power, as well as general neglected maintenance.

2CA75044-153C-44EB-A14E-497D66D253CB.jpeg

We used this to haul all the Christmas presents down to the in-laws. With stuff for both our boys, them, siblings, their kids, etc it it quite the ordeal. We have used my 6x12 enclosed trailer in the past which brings my fuel mileage down to around 10.5 at 70 mph. With this trailer I got 16. Wife wasn’t thrilled with the idea of loading the giant dry bag full of presents in the rain so I had to grab some storage boxes last minute.

2C03BF42-D8E9-455F-AF8C-C5A58E4DD52A.jpeg

I got the L-track installed which is AWESOME to have a tie down point anywhere you want it, rather than thinking about how things will shift/move due to strap angles, etc. I also got the rear taillights mounted and wired temporarily, as the magnetic ones were unbearable, but I don’t want the tongue box permanently mounted until I spray the bed liner, it has the 7-way junction box mounted on it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94