Vermont to Moab, UT (+Expo Pics!!!)

Overlandmom

www.overland4moms.com/blo
My husband (droverrover) and I have finally embarked on our maiden overlanding voyage. We have our Land Rover Discovery II, Conqueror Basecamp Expo Trailer with RTT, our 1 year old daughter, and our 2 dogs. In addition, we have a ton (probably) of baby gear, food, and car recovery equipment you would need to overland through Africa even though we aren't leaving the lower 48. We debated about where to put this thread as most portal members post international expeditions here, but I couldn't find a better location for our trip so I apologize if our trip report belongs elsewhere.

Our plan is to travel to the following locations -
Vermont to Ohio
Ohio to Chicago
Chicago to Des Moines, IA (or South of there)
Des Moines, IA to Colorado Springs, CO (or West of there)
Colorado Springs, CO to Moab (via gateway)
Moab – Arches - DHSP - Canyonlands - Mexican Hat
Mexican Hat to Canyon de Chellis to ?
? to Mormon Lake
Mormon Lake to Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree to LA
LA to ? AZ
?AZ to Golden, NM
Golden, NH to OK
Ok to Chicago
Chicago to Home

We have a lot of unknown stops for two reasons (1) my husband hates to plan and (2) our baby is unpredictable and we both agree that driving with a screaming child is miserable and if she really is done we stop. But, our basic plan is to hit Moab and camp in Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park and travel southwest from there until we are in Mormon Lake for the Expo and then travel West until we are in LA for a family party.

So, that is our “plan”…. Here is our trip report after 2 days…

We left Vermont at 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday and traveled 685 miles to Ontario, OH. We arrived at 8:15 pm that same day. We spent $283.00 on gas and $25.00 on tolls. About 2 1/2 hours into our trip when we were in Lake George, NY and we had already used two tanks of gas we began to wonder what was weighing us down to reduce our mpg. Our D2 generally drives 18 mpg, and we were averaging 8 mpg. We realized that the 40 gallon water tank in the Conqueror was full, thanks to our friends helping us pack. We appreciate the thought, but had no intention of driving across the country with that filled. We emptied the tank, and began our journey anew. Our mpg increased to 10, and we realized the items on the roof rack must come off in Chicago before we head further West.
Wednesday night we stayed in Ontario, OH so my hubby could grab some beautiful African Safari chairs and table from the only dealer in the States. The gentleman was so nice and met us at our hotel while I put our daughter to bed in our room. Great service and great product! Thanks!
Thursday we woke up at 7 and were on the road by 8:30. We had a short drive of 311 miles to grandma's house outside of Chicago where we will leave our dogs while we vacation. The trip was much nicer than Wednesday. On Wednesday we drove I90East for the majority of the trip, and the car was working hard. In Cleveland we hit a bad accident that caused traffic to stop on 90 before the 80 interchange, and we were happy we decided to go South rather than continue along the northern top of the state. We were also happy that we had a CB Radio on our vehicle so we were aware of what was causing the traffic and how to avoid getting stuck. Thursday we decided to stick to smaller roads since we only has 311 miles to go, we drove along 30W until we were in Northern Indiana. It was a lovely drive along farms and small towns. We met 2 guys from the portal who knew my hubby from his car. I was never able to ******** chat because every stop consists of lots of baby duties, but my hubby loved seeing them and saying hi.
We ended our drive today at Cabela's in Hammond, IN and the whole family enjoyed the store. It is like every Cabela's with tons of merchandise plus family focused attractions. This store had a huge Aquarium and I walked behind our daughter as she ran and pointed and touched everything. We jumped back into the car and drove less than an hour and were at grandmas. We are all tucked into our beds here and ready to enjoy a peaceful slumber before we rearrange our gear and make some decisions about our route tomorrow. We will leave Chicago tomorrow afternoon and plan to avoid interstates if we can. I am not sure what road we will take, I am about to research that now. I am looking forward to seeing the country a bit, and enjoying the ride. Our pics so far aren't that thrilling - welcome signs for each state and lots of goofy baby pictures (which are adorable). Will post pics once we are actually overlanding.

Last edited:

Drover

Adventurer
To add to the above post, (I'm her husband), the chairs were purchased from Jim at African sporting creations. Awesome guy, talked to him a few times on the phone, and he agreed to meet me at the hotel at 8:30pm to deliver the chairs! Now that's customer service!
image.jpg
Sorry about the lame pic, but I never had a roorkhee chair before and I wanted to do an assemble before we got backcountry. So,grandmas porch it was!

Also in route a snap on tool truck ran me down to say hello, (ptschram, from discoweb). Never met him, but he lives in rover Internet infamy with the likes of "discomike and antichrist " . Really nice guy, gave me employee discount on a set of tools for the trip!

Also when we were in Indiana at cabelas, another guy came over to talk to me, turns out it was jkfisher from the portal! Nice jeep!image.jpg Had a short chat with him and then we were on our way to Chicago.

Hopefully have time to post tomorrow.

Scott Brady

Founder
Have a great time on the adventure. Vermont is such a beautiful state to embark from!

I like the table. Just needs a couple sundowners :)

attachment.php

Arlo

Adventurer
It's time to show the trailer tent piched up, suntanned, relaxed, sitting on your new chairs!
Have a nice journey, bonne route! :smiley_drive:

skrillah

Adventurer
Great start!! I'm looking forward to updates!

Having just done an Indiana to Moab trip last month, it's all still fresh on my mind. Looking forward to reliving it through you guys! The forecasts look good!

What are your camping plans?

Drover

Adventurer
Great start!! I'm looking forward to updates!

Having just done an Indiana to Moab trip last month, it's all still fresh on my mind. Looking forward to reliving it through you guys! The forecasts look good!

What are your camping plans?
Hey, I read your trip report. Your the guy who's friend busted his head? Right? How's he doin?

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Awesome, I have been following your blog the last few weeks as you guys were getting ready.

We always pay attention to overland family threads, we've got three little ones and it's always interesting to see everyone's approach to the challenges of being a parent on a road trip. The key point I've gathered is there is no such thing as super-parent, and everyone will want to pull out their hair sometimes. Relax, chill out, and remember, valium/tequila, etc is not cheating.

Yeah, this is a great place for this thread. Make sure you come by the OJ booth at the show and say hi.

Ray

Drover

Adventurer
Since last time I posted , we traveled to sterling Colorado. Nice little town, the big industry there was cattle. I saw more real cowboys there than any other town I've been to. And I'm not talking about posers with cowboy hats and boots. These guys faces were brown and wind burned and looked like leather! They looked like they were on the open range for months at a time.

Found a cool little museum , the overland trail museum! Thought a pic would be appropriate!image.jpg

From there we were on our way to Denver! As we approached Denver you could see the Rockies looming in the background. As each mile passed, the anxiety of traversing the Rockies with a 13 yr old rover hauling a trailer weighed on my mind! As we were crossing the the rover didnt fair so well. I couldn't get over 35 mph! I was having as much trouble as the 18 wheelers! With the Rockies behind us , we were on our way to moab.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Well , we're here. But 2300 miles took a toll on the 13 yr old rover. I've developed a severe driveline vibration, and crossing the Rockies took its toll on the front brake pads. Didnt want to take the family out backcountry until I took care of these two things. Brakes , not a problem, already swapped them out this morning after I checked my wife and the baby into a hotel. The vibration? I can't source the problem. Driveshaft doesn't have any play in it. U-joints look good. I'm not that great of a mechanic. Mostly parts changer, ie (plugs, starter, alternator , brakes ;-) ) , you get the picture. Can't figure where it's coming from. Vibration is severe enough that I'm not comfortable going any further.

Here I am 2300 miles from home with no resources or contacts! Well , that was my first thought! Then I started to rack my brain, Brian McVickers! I bought a locker from him , here on the portal! Yeah , I know Prescott is 6 hrs away , but he had to know someone around here who could help me out!? Called him up, and he remembered who I was! And yes he had a name of a garage , moab4x4 outpost.

I have to say , I've only been a member here for a few months , but the support of this community is amazing. I've never been much of an Internet guy. To be honest with you, expedition portal is the first forum I've ever joined. Never really got into the online forum thing, always thought it was a waste of time. I'm so glad I joined and have met some of the people here that I have! I've always lurked , looking for ideas/ways to fix/modify my truck. Always lurked discoweb also, for fixes. Still not a member there, but I have to say ptschram, was another call I made, (met him in Indiana , earlier post). Those d-web guys are all right! He had a couple of numbers of guys in the area who could help.

Good thing is, everyone here in moab has kitted up trucks! For those of you who have not been here, I feel like I died and went to heaven! There seems to be plenty of capable shops. I'm heading over to moab4x4 outpost tomorrow. Steve tried to help me today, but every lift he had was taken. He seems like a really good guy, he tried to trouble shoot it quickly in the parking lot , but wasn't able to diagnose it.

All wasn't lost though, we've met some really nice people since we've been here. Two couples from Germany , one on there way to Argentina, and one on there way back!image.jpgimage.jpg

Here's a couple of pics trying to enjoy some time with the baby in the middle of all this mess that I'm in right now

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I'll post tomorrow with updates of the vehicle situation.

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Sorry to hear of your troubles Drew. Have you removed the drive shafts at different times and locked the centre diff to verify if the vibrations are front or rear driveline related? Tire pressure? Wheel play? Panhard rod bushings?

Overlandmom

Awesome, I have been following your blog the last few weeks as you guys were getting ready.

We always pay attention to overland family threads, we've got three little ones and it's always interesting to see everyone's approach to the challenges of being a parent on a road trip. The key point I've gathered is there is no such thing as super-parent, and everyone will want to pull out their hair sometimes. Relax, chill out, and remember, valium/tequila, etc is not cheating.

Yeah, this is a great place for this thread. Make sure you come by the OJ booth at the show and say hi.

Ray

It's good to know tequila isn't a sign of failure! We are in Moab ... Having car trouble and for now are staying in town hoping to get into a garage later today. We can't pull our trailer at this point, well we could but we don't know what's wrong with the car so we are being conservative.

I posted a bunch of pics on my blog. We are all together this am as a family and are exploring Moab. Will post pics on this report later today.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Ha,

I was listening to Brian talking to your husband yesterday over the phone about finding a shop, and didn't realize you guys were the same family he was talking to.

Small world.

Ray

Overlandmom

Ha,

I was listening to Brian talking to your husband yesterday over the phone about finding a shop, and didn't realize you guys were the same family he was talking to.

Small world.

Ray

It is. We are so grateful to Brian and everyone helping us with this issue.

Overlandmom

Sorry to hear of your troubles Drew. Have you removed the drive shafts at different times and locked the centre diff to verify if the vibrations are front or rear driveline related? Tire pressure? Wheel play? Panhard rod bushings?

Thanks for the suggestions! He is at a mechanic now and he seems happy with progress - fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior