Venturing into uncharted waters... Looking for advice on buying my first truck.

lstzephyr

wanderer
The 03-07 crew cab dodges are basically extended cab length with the doors all opening the same direction. It sounds to me that a 3rd gen dodge 2500 is exactly what you want.

UHAULER

Explorer
All you need is a 4cyl. Tacoma regular cab with a 10' cabover camper for a family of 4 with two dogs:ylsmoke:

ExpoMike

Something you might think about, since you are local, we can setup a time where you can come check out our FWC camper. You mentioned a SB truck but I think once you get into a LB camper, you will quickly find room for 4 and 2 dogs will be very tight. I couldn't even imagine us (2 adults, 1 62 lbs. dog) being in anything smaller.

Another thing to keep in mind is, starting somewhere in the early 2000's (maybe earlier) Ford cab heights got taller from the other brands and many campers are made for the lower height cabs. Our FWC happened to be a "X" model Grandby that was originally built for the Ford cab height. This is why our camper overhand sits so much higher over the cab then other FWC models. Not a huge deal as you can build a platform to raise the camper but just another thing to keep in mind when looking at everything.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I'll be honest. I want a diesel purely because I want a diesel. Same goes for the manual tranny, I just like them. But, I'm willing to keep all the options open at this point.
That's fine - I have both of those for the exact same reason :)

Given your location, you cant do anything with emissions, so for that reason I wouldn't get a 6.0l Ford if you cant remove the EGR, and I personally find 7.3l's (particularly manual trans ones!) overpriced - my trucks KBB has gone up in the past 5 years!
I am a Ford person, but I would probably tell you to get the Dodge and fix their front end issues.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Fixing the Dodge front end issues are so easy it ain't even an issue. I worry more about the engine flaming out or transmission going full neutral when I get stuck with one. Not too worried about never ending regen. At least that'll get me home, and I ain't paying for the fuel anyways.
-
Used trucks are going to need front end work anyways. So it doesn't matter. I got lucky with mine, but I was originally planning on doing the tierods and unit bearings. I assumed a white truck with 100k miles would surely need them. I was wrong.
-
There's a little country dealer out my way that seems to specialize in 7.3 fords. Maybe one day I'll get one. He buys them at auction and brings them up here. An unmolested 7.3L with a $3000 rebuilt custom transmission is a nice ride. They're a little over priced, but even after you redo the brakes, joints, and rebuild the transmission, you're still $20k+ under new. And no more likely to blow up than a brand new diesel.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My Dad's 3/4 ton just broke a tie rod end this week. Luckily, he was only a couple of miles from the shop (he has a construction business) and wasn't towing a gooseneck. My family's business has used NOTHING but Dodge Cummins pickups since they came out. The front ends are junk.

I drive a Tundra... .

We all can't make the right choice. but the dodge drivers made a better one than you...ha ha!

kojackJKU

Fixing the Dodge front end issues are so easy it ain't even an issue. I worry more about the engine flaming out or transmission going full neutral when I get stuck with one. Not too worried about never ending regen. At least that'll get me home, and I ain't paying for the fuel anyways.
-
Used trucks are going to need front end work anyways. So it doesn't matter. I got lucky with mine, but I was originally planning on doing the tierods and unit bearings. I assumed a white truck with 100k miles would surely need them. I was wrong.
-
There's a little country dealer out my way that seems to specialize in 7.3 fords. Maybe one day I'll get one. He buys them at auction and brings them up here. An unmolested 7.3L with a $3000 rebuilt custom transmission is a nice ride. They're a little over priced, but even after you redo the brakes, joints, and rebuild the transmission, you're still $20k+ under new. And no more likely to blow up than a brand new diesel.

Yes, I should have made myself clear, the 7.3 running gear is damn near bulletproof like the dodge, the new version of the powerstroke is pure garbage.

mccustomize

Explorer
I don't have much experience from a diesel standpoint, but I have towed a bunch of trucks/cars around with my dad's 04 chevy CC 1/2 ton. Pulled just fine although you aren't going to pass anyone at will.

But having 2 boys myself (and dogs) I can tell you that you won't be happy with even a crew cab pickup. why not look into a 3/4 ton suburban for your needs?

With myself, my wife, and my boys (7 and 3) loaded into either my extended cab, or my dad's CC, there is no other room inside once you have a diaper bag, backpack, and of course the portable DVD/Ipad/Etc for the boys, that's it. Everything else goes in the back.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I don't have much experience from a diesel standpoint, but I have towed a bunch of trucks/cars around with my dad's 04 chevy CC 1/2 ton. Pulled just fine although you aren't going to pass anyone at will.

But having 2 boys myself (and dogs) I can tell you that you won't be happy with even a crew cab pickup. why not look into a 3/4 ton suburban for your needs?

With myself, my wife, and my boys (7 and 3) loaded into either my extended cab, or my dad's CC, there is no other room inside once you have a diaper bag, backpack, and of course the portable DVD/Ipad/Etc for the boys, that's it. Everything else goes in the back.

I agree we have one daughter (3) and 90% of the time she is with her mom on weekends. But my crew cab gets small fast. You get my wife and I her camra stuff my daughter and her toys books tv junk. Well ill just say it fills up quick my dog.is usually on top of some thing.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I use the 55 gallon roller tote tool box things Stanley makes for Home Depot. Those can be stacked up and ratchet straped down. Then all my diaper bags, camping gear, recovery/repair tools each has it's own tote. My hobby gear has it's own 2 totes if I'm not camping.
-
They're great at getting all the gear out of the cab, so that you can use the CC trucks instead of 'burbs and Excursions. IMO, the SUV's have no room. The trick to trucks...is to use the bed for everything and keep the cab as empty as possible. I crate the dogs in the back of the bed. Wall in the sides of the crate as needed based on the weather. I was nervous about crating dogs as cargo at first. But they love it.

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
@ExPoMike - I appreciate the offer!! I will take you up on that sometime in the future.

@mccustomize - are either of your boys in booster seats? How do they do in the back for a long road trip?

I don't plan on living in CA forever, so the emissions items can hopefully be dealt with at a later time.

You guys have brought up some good points about interior space and passenger comfort. I also agree with BuliWyf that packing and being organized goes a long way. I definitely like to be organized I know for a fact the my family is only going to be growing in the near term so more space is better than less. ExPoMike has me thinking that a LB might be one of those compromises that I'm going to have to make.

I'm also not discounting a 'Burb, Excurision or 4x4 Van as an option. Maybe it turns out that is a better choice after analyzing all the details. Anyone wish they had gone that route? A nice thread on Excursions here.

I'm a visually learner so I attached some photos below. If I understand correctly, despite the rear door arrangement being different. The 2nd Gen "extended cab" and 3rd Gen "crew cab" are essentially the same? How does an average size adult do in the rear seat for an extended period of time? Can you fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row, if I do have another child?

2002 "Extended Cab" Interior

1295739787_160158513_5-2002-Dodge-Ram-2500-Ext-Cab-4x4-Deisel-59L-24V-100-Stock-13800-For-Sale.jpg

2003 "Crew Cab" Interior

2003-Dodge-Ram-2500_3500-Quad-Cab-interior.jpg

Last edited:

mccustomize

Explorer
Both of mine are now in boosters and fit comfortably in either back seat, Ex-cab or Crew, but it's the last of being able to put other stuff inside I am more concerned about. Stuff I don't want to be constantly going through tuff bins in the bed at every stop for I guess

kojackJKU

I was going to suggest a suburban. But I figured you wanted a truck. I have a 2005 suburban im building for expedition work. its a z71 model fully featured. Im doing a bunch of mods to it. right now its my plow rig for snow.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm not 100% sold on a truck. I am leaning that way really due to the potential for a pop-up camper. I'm currently in the research phase, with no rush to buy anything soon. All options are still on the table. My biggest issue personally, is I'm not up to speed on what's available in the domestic market. I've been more focused on Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and G-wagaens even though I have only owned one of the 3. After having kids in the last year, it has become apparent I need more room than these vehicles have to offer for full family adventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles