Ventilation question

Yellowstone2Yukon

About a year ago, I bought an AWD 2005 Astro Cargo and posted a thread about my ambitions to convert it. So far, life's gotten in the way (and mechanical maintenance has cut into my budget) and the extent of conversion has been taping Reflectix over the windows. I finally have the plan made up to insulate it, but before I do that I want to install ventilation.

I bought a Ventline Vanair trailer roof vent (https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Ventline/VP-543SP.html). I'm going to install that in the very back, since that's where my kitchen is going to be. I was thinking of installing my air intake vent in the sliding door, which would let me get as low as possible.

There is a bulkhead (which will be insulated) between the cab and the back of the van.

A few questions. The Astro's cargo area is about 170 cf, of which a decent chunk will be taken up by cabinets and the like. The Vanair moves 100 cfm. I don't know rules of thumb for ventilation, but that's adequate, right? I've thought about installing a typical 14*14 RV vent, but that seems like overkill in such a small van.

Secondly, what's my best choice for a sliding door vent? I found a few super cheap plastic RV vents on Amazon, some of which include bug screens. Is there an ideal solution I should be looking for?

Last, is my sliding door to rear center airflow scheme the best possible one? Should I be looking at cutting holes in the floor or something else? With no windows, how do you ventilate your van?

Corneilius

Adventurer
I have that same vent in my roof. It does OK but its no Fantastic/Maxx Fan... My side windows open so I place little battery powered "intake" fans in front of them if its hot out (blowing right at us while we sleep). Have you thought about installing 2 fans and running them opposite?

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Adequate depends on the intended use. If you just want to have adequate airflow for breathing, then that should be plenty. If that is your main source of cooling air then you can expect it to take over 2 minutes to do an air exchange in the van. It won't give you a "cooling breeze", but if you add a small aim-able fan like this style https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Fan-Oscillating-Adjustable-12V/dp/B0050PDN54 then it probably wouldn't be too bad as long as you are parked in the shade.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Skip all the small vents, go with either a fantastic fan or maxxair and you won't need any other vents...

eporter

Adventurer
I have the same Vanair vent in my ambo. I chose this particular fan since my ambo has two, 6" circular openings in the top, and the Vanair vent dropped right in. I was short on time before a road trip...

It works ok for air exchange, but doesn't make a breeze. I think I'll be swapping it out for a bigger, fantastic/maxxair fan sometime. I may install a bigger fan on the roof, and cut a bigger hole for it, and then install the vanair fan in the existing front roof hole.

Smoker

Observer
I'm also considering the Vanair. I have an E-series EB passenger van with headliner I kept to retain the AC ducts in the ceiling. I would prefer a Fantastic/Maxx Fan, but can't seem to find a spot to accommodate one without cutting into the AC ducts. Would love any suggestions/examples (aside from tearing out the headliner and adding port holes in the wall duct, which may be phase 2 build). It's not ideal, but I think I could fit a Vanair in each of the rear corners to increase flow with 2 fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles