VehiCROSS !

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Saw a review the other day showing the last VCross sold here, it was pearl white and the guy said it was the only one.

Well, he's wrong, the first VCross to the states was pearl white and was the only one until the last one was made for the U.S.

About 8 years ago I was surfing the internet and was looking at a Harley at the dealership in Colorado Springs. Sitting in the parking lot was an all white VCross! I called the dealer and it turns out it was the pearl white owned by an employee.

I spoke to him about his car and asked if he'd sell it, I ask him for a price. He wasn't in a selling mood saying he was going to keep the car.

I couldn't help it, he was unaware of what he had so I told him, his pearl white 89 was the first car sent to the States, the only pearl white made. He was very happy to hear that.

These SUVs can still be had at very reasonable prices, between 5K and 15K generally. Most I've found are in pretty good shape around 8 to 10K. One interior flaw with those Rococo racing style seats, the left side of the driver's seat seams tear or the stitching of the leather comes apart. Not a big deal as most appear to be fixable.

I test drove the VCross when it was introduced at our local dealership. It had the first "computer screen" built in the dash that I'd ever seen, we didn't have navigation but it controlled the stereo disk changer and illustrated functions. The dealer had added a back up camera, another first for me. (The Asian market had cameras but seems they were removed for the U.S. market, so the dealer got to add a few hundred bucks on the price.)

In '89, the dealer wanted almost $32K, that was on the top end of car prices at that time. My '99 F-150 XLT 4x4 decked out was $29,200, so for a small SUV they didn't sell very fast.

The VCross shares parts with the Rodeo and other Isuzu models so engine, tranny, brakes and running gear can be found. This SUV was also the first production SUV to have reserve reservoirs on the shocks, plenty of after market shocks are on the market now. So, if someone picked up one of these they probably could keep it going for years to come.

However, my garage is full!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles