Vehicle Security Tips

lugueto

Adventurer
Do you know the brand of GPS Tracker you use? Seems you use a Fleet type system which may not be available on an individual basis.

I don't know the brand. It is purchased with the service from a very serious local security and tracking company that sells the unit and does the tracking, manages the website and app, etc.

It is, in fact, a fleet type system, but it can be purchased individually. I have 5 vehicles in tracking on my account, which is used by my whole family. But we started out with one vehicle.

I'm sure you can find a similar product & service in the States.

I can't compare the Tracker posted because I don't know the specs on mine. But I can tell you that it also has a few month's worth of battery inside the tracker itself. Tracking intervals are adjustable. Mine reports a few times a day when the vehicle is off and every 30 seconds when the vehicle is on. As mentioned, you can add geo boundaries for notifications, and it will notify when the vehicle is turned on or off. As far as the network used is concerned, I have no clue.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
I used to just drive such a junkie Vehicles no one would want to steal them

I had an 88 Toyota Camry that was my go-to vehicle for hiking and backpacking I would just take the registration with me leave the doors unlocked and leave the glove box open that way they could see there was nothing inside

J!m

I used an improvised pedal lock in Africa.

I put all new series 3 locks and patches in the truck (it was nice to use one key for ignition and doors too!) so it was as “secure” as a series gets. This means you need more...

I bought a fluorescent pink 3/8 chain from Home Depot probably. And a nice master lock. During the day, my second (unmounted) spare in front of the radiator was locked to the bull bar with it. This kept the would be thieves at bay. At night, the tire went inside and I locked the clutch pedal to the steering wheel with the pink chain. No issues!

ellevehc86

I don't know the brand. It is purchased with the service from a very serious local security and tracking company that sells the unit and does the tracking, manages the website and app, etc.

It is, in fact, a fleet type system, but it can be purchased individually. I have 5 vehicles in tracking on my account, which is used by my whole family. But we started out with one vehicle.

I'm sure you can find a similar product & service in the States.

I can't compare the Tracker posted because I don't know the specs on mine. But I can tell you that it also has a few month's worth of battery inside the tracker itself. Tracking intervals are adjustable. Mine reports a few times a day when the vehicle is off and every 30 seconds when the vehicle is on. As mentioned, you can add geo boundaries for notifications, and it will notify when the vehicle is turned on or off. As far as the network used is concerned, I have no clue.

The one I use is Linxup. It's available for commercial and private. All the same stuff.

ellevehc86

I used an improvised pedal lock in Africa.

I put all new series 3 locks and patches in the truck (it was nice to use one key for ignition and doors too!) so it was as “secure” as a series gets. This means you need more...

I bought a fluorescent pink 3/8 chain from Home Depot probably. And a nice master lock. During the day, my second (unmounted) spare in front of the radiator was locked to the bull bar with it. This kept the would be thieves at bay. At night, the tire went inside and I locked the clutch pedal to the steering wheel with the pink chain. No issues!

Oh that's a great idea too! I neve thought about locking the pedals.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
My brother John fixed his truck so the steering wheel comes off with a quick release. It's kinda weird seeing someone walking around with a steering wheel. So far, so good.
Another issue is trailer security. I read on here somewhere where a Jeeper kept his two axle trailer for carrying his jeep to the trailhead in front of his house. On the curb side he pulled a very stout chain through the wheels of both axles locking the wheels as one. One morning he awoke to peer out his front window and not see his trailer. He ran out to spy a black trail of rubber trailing off down the street. He quickly followed the trail on foot to the next block and around the corner to come face to face with his trailer in the middle of the street. Apparently, not seeing the chain in the dark, the thieves hooked up the trailer to their motive device and decided in a minute or so that pulling a wheels-locked, chirping, smoking tired trailer @ 3 a.m. was not a good look, and quickly dropped the chirping, smoking-wheels trailer in the middle of the street. Time to abort?
jefe

Last edited:

ellevehc86

My brother John fixed his truck so the steering wheel comes off with a quick release. It's kinda weird seeing someone walking around with a steering wheel. So far, so good.
Another issue is trailer security. I read on here somewhere where a Jeeper kept his two axle trailer for carrying his jeep to the trailhead in front of his house. On the curb side he pulled a very stout chain through the wheels of both axles locking the wheels as one. One morning he awoke to peer out his front window and not see his trailer. He ran out to spy a black trail of rubber trailing off down the street. He quickly followed the trail on foot to the next block and around the corner to come face to face with his trailer in the middle of the street. Apparently, not seeing the chain in the dark, the thieves hooked up the trailer to their motive device and decided in a minute or so that pulling a wheels-locked, chirping, smoking tired trailer @ 3 a.m. was not a good look, and quickly dropped the chirping, smoking-wheels trailer in the middle of the street. Time to abort?
jefe

OMG, that is a funny one!!!! Thank god they didnt get away with it! Too bad they didnt get caught!

Bullseye240

Adventurer
******? that was his job!

Ever have a problem with a vehicle that only happened early on a real cold morning? Got a better idea for how to verify the customer complaint when the shop opens at 0900 and the temperature is already above the threshold of the complaint? Yep, that's his job.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
If you have an issue, you want your mechanic driving the truck to experience it as well . Especially an intermittent issue

Mr.Roadwarrior

I knew a farmer that was having his stuff stolen...he rigged a 220v line to his tractor and it stopped after the first next attempt...just sayin

Another method..defend your property. You say you live in a bad hood,yet your gun is in your truck. There is quite simply nothing like the sound of a gun cocking to gain the proper attention and respect of a person who intends to do you harm and is on your property. I've seen it in their eyes and it is a powerful motivator.

Unless you are prepared to get tough, expect to be a victim. Alternatively, you can pack up and run.

Mr.Roadwarrior

Verk, the farmer was in Western Pennsylvania and he his barn was really a workshop, with plenty of power.

Ooops just looked...typo of course... it was 240v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier