Vehicle Security Tips

ellevehc86

HI everyone!

So last summer I went on a trip up North to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. On the third day I got a call from my neighbor that my garage got broken into. I had a really nice Yamaha YZ450F I had just rebuilt. I literally had taken one single ride on it before it got stolen. Anyways, I don’t live in the greatest of areas. It’s a suburb of Detroit and 20 years ago it was nice, now it seems like there is a break in, or a drug raid every other week. Needless to say, as soon as I am done with my doctorate (2 more years) I am gone! This is the second break-in that I have had in 2 years. The first being a stolen gun, and also trying to steal my MAXX tracks, now this. The kicker is I had my best friend’s car blocking the door. So the thieves broke out his window, popped his hood, popped off the linkage to his transmission, put it into neutral, pushed it back, broke off the garage lock, and then finally stole the bike. Since then I have been going a bit over the top with security. My biggest concern is my rig because how could that be insured for what I have in it, but also, I just don’t wanna lose it period.

So the first thing I did was a boot. My rig isn’t my daily driver so this was kinda a good idea because I slapped it on the rear and now they cannot get into my garage either. I was floored to find out they were only $45 bucks! The one I got was pretty heavy duty. While I was going to do a kill switch (which I may have, noneyabusiness) I was worried about thieves who tow vehicles which is very common here.

Mophorn 2pcs Wheel Lock Clamp Boot Tire Claw Heavy-duty Anti Theft Parking Boot Car Tire Claw Parking Boot Lock (2 pc)

https://amzn.to/2Jva7sW

1541110965249.png

Additionally too, I REALLY wanted a GPS tracker. I did some research and went with Linxup. So this tracker is wired and you can do it a couple ways. The first is just a simple hot and ground. That will monitor your vehicle at all times. But also give you voltage. It comes with plenty of other connections to monitor stuff like fuel, engine codes, etc. But it does do analysis of driving and does save routes, shows how hard you brake, etc. Plus, it actually shows you a where you are while driving! Another thing I dig is that you can monitor in real time on a desktop. So, if you haven't seen something like it, it is pretty cool. Plus it gives you piece of mind. I think it is like $20 a month. Worth it in my opinion. Check out some of the features on the app!

1541111139313.png

Linxup OBD GPS Tracker with Real Time 3G GPS Tracking, Car Tracking Device and Car Locator, Car GPS LPVAS1 - No Contracts

https://amzn.to/2RrOz3e

Linxup LTAS1 Mini Portable Real Time 4G Personal Tracking GPS Tracker

https://amzn.to/2JwAH58

Linxup LWAAS1P1 Linxup GPS Trackers & System Wired, Vehicle Tracking Device

https://amzn.to/2DfQIMz

1541110881265.png1541110893704.png1541110902806.png

I was wondering what everyone else does for security? Any good ideas out there? I may make a second video if I hear some an throw them on my rig!

Checkout our Facebook group page!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/442247439541802/
Support us on Patreon!
https://www.patreon.com/Team125Overland
Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/ellevehc86/?hl=en
Follow us on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/Ellevehc86

lugueto

Adventurer
I may not be an expert, but living in my country does make a person to have quite a few security habits to avoid becoming a victim of thieves and other lowlifes. I guarantee you Detroit is a walk in the park compared to us.

1) No security measure is infallible. If a thief has enough time, they will take your car or your belongings regardless of how much trickery you used to protect them.

The most important security measure is yours to take. Don't leave your car, house or belongings where they're gonna be easy to take, break into or vandalize. Don't leave your front door open, don't leave your car parked in some shady street with no lights or in the wrong neighborhood. Never leave anything in sight that might be valuable. Leave your stuff well hidden, remove your stereo faceplate, and make sure your garage doesn't have anything in view that might be taken. A bike wouldn't be easy to hide within your garage, but leave the bike with a lock or chained inside it just in case. Tinted windows and sun shades will help with break ins on your car. A thief can't take what they can't see.

2) A thief will try to take what's easiest. If your house or vehicle is not the easiest, you will be safer. The security measures that are most visible are the most effective. Kill switches and GPS trackers won't stop a thief from trying to steal your car. They will ultimately prevent it, but you will end up with a broken window, mangled wiring harness or whatever other damage they needed to do before they realize they couldn't start it.

Steering wheel locks, alarms with those little LED's that flash once they're active, the wheel boot you purchased and similar items are the most effective. Why? because the thief will be able to see beforehand that your vehicle will be hard to take or get into, and they'll probably move on to the next one.

The same goes for your house. If you're leaving for a couple of days, leave a couple of lights on so that people would think there's someone in the house. A thief is much less likely to try and break into a house with people in it. a TV on or stereo helps a lot too.

Common security measures here include pedal locks and vaults, shifter locks, steering locks, kill switches, GPS trackers and the ubiquitous alarm. Some alarms have kill switches built in, as do GPS trackers. You will commonly find a combination of these.

I personally use a GPS Tracker, kill switch, alarm and shifter lock. Although I rarely use the shifter lock. My car has tinted windows that are dark enough so its hard to make up whats on the consoles, floor, etc. When I park the vehicle I always use the sun shade to make things even darker.

If you wire a kill switch, however you decide to hide it, make sure you do it to the fuel pump's or other circuit's ground. That way you can't short anything.

FWIW, I personally believe a wheel boot is way overkill and inconvenient to use. But as far as a visible measure goes, I can't see anything more obvious than that.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
No way I'm going to hotwire a new GM. Make sure your owners manual doesn't have a "master key" # in it. For making replacement keys. The whole ECM is a kill switch on most modern vehicles, so I doubt another is needed. Google your ride to see if swapping ECM's is too easy.

The boot usually falls off after dragging a trailer a mile. I'd imagine a truck would do about the same.
Game cameras are handy. Every person in my yard gets their picture taken.

I'm not getting into the GPS tracker. But I can defeat those easy on the move, and even easier in storage. It'll catch amateurs, but I don't think any amateur can steal that truck, so I doubt it'll help much. The GPS trackers are handy to use when your truck gets towed from your own driveway. If you don't claim it in 90 days from the tow company, they get to keep it. (I hope that's no longer true, you'd think insurance agencies would spaz about this) Also: Don't freak out when your mechanic takes your truck to lunch, or home for the night, that's his job.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
An OBD-connected tracking device is useless as a security measure. The port is right by the driver's shins, plainly visible and you just have to pull the thing out of the port, there's no mechanical attachment, just a friction fit.

later model GMs have an anti-theft "feature" in the ignition switch. There's a fine yellow-coated wire from the keyswitch body to the engine computer and if the ignition is hotwired without a proper key turn, the vehicle will crank but not start. Downside is the wire is fragile and sometimes fails. It's called the PasscodeII system.
And it is also the wire that some killswitch systems interrupt.

PasscodeII was before they started putting chips in keys.

Last edited:
The new Keyless Entry and Remote Start systems were touted as being secure because the data link was encoded. Simple man in the middle attacks defeat these easily. Never lock your vehicle with the key fob. Someone watching the vehicle can intercept the signal from the key fob. They now have the next roll over code expected by the vehicle and they can then clone your key fob. This is why you should never press the key fob twice because the first time you noticed it did not lock.

The other method of The guy can stand in your driveway and if your key fob is close enough in range he can ping it with a relay box. He can then gain entry and drive off.

ellevehc86

I may not be an expert, but living in my country does make a person to have quite a few security habits to avoid becoming a victim of thieves and other lowlifes. I guarantee you Detroit is a walk in the park compared to us.

1) No security measure is infallible. If a thief has enough time, they will take your car or your belongings regardless of how much trickery you used to protect them.

The most important security measure is yours to take. Don't leave your car, house or belongings where they're gonna be easy to take, break into or vandalize. Don't leave your front door open, don't leave your car parked in some shady street with no lights or in the wrong neighborhood. Never leave anything in sight that might be valuable. Leave your stuff well hidden, remove your stereo faceplate, and make sure your garage doesn't have anything in view that might be taken. A bike wouldn't be easy to hide within your garage, but leave the bike with a lock or chained inside it just in case. Tinted windows and sun shades will help with break ins on your car. A thief can't take what they can't see.

2) A thief will try to take what's easiest. If your house or vehicle is not the easiest, you will be safer. The security measures that are most visible are the most effective. Kill switches and GPS trackers won't stop a thief from trying to steal your car. They will ultimately prevent it, but you will end up with a broken window, mangled wiring harness or whatever other damage they needed to do before they realize they couldn't start it.

Steering wheel locks, alarms with those little LED's that flash once they're active, the wheel boot you purchased and similar items are the most effective. Why? because the thief will be able to see beforehand that your vehicle will be hard to take or get into, and they'll probably move on to the next one.

The same goes for your house. If you're leaving for a couple of days, leave a couple of lights on so that people would think there's someone in the house. A thief is much less likely to try and break into a house with people in it. a TV on or stereo helps a lot too.

Common security measures here include pedal locks and vaults, shifter locks, steering locks, kill switches, GPS trackers and the ubiquitous alarm. Some alarms have kill switches built in, as do GPS trackers. You will commonly find a combination of these.

I personally use a GPS Tracker, kill switch, alarm and shifter lock. Although I rarely use the shifter lock. My car has tinted windows that are dark enough so its hard to make up whats on the consoles, floor, etc. When I park the vehicle I always use the sun shade to make things even darker.

If you wire a kill switch, however you decide to hide it, make sure you do it to the fuel pump's or other circuit's ground. That way you can't short anything.

FWIW, I personally believe a wheel boot is way overkill and inconvenient to use. But as far as a visible measure goes, I can't see anything more obvious than that.

just wow for response! thanks man! It is pretty bad in my neighborhood. It is a shame. Oh the boot is ridiculous!!!! But, there is no way then get into my garage now unless they ripped down the walls. That sounds ubsurd....but look at what they did just to steal a dirtbike! and I still have fourwheelers!

ellevehc86

No way I'm going to hotwire a new GM. Make sure your owners manual doesn't have a "master key" # in it. For making replacement keys. The whole ECM is a kill switch on most modern vehicles, so I doubt another is needed. Google your ride to see if swapping ECM's is too easy.

The boot usually falls off after dragging a trailer a mile. I'd imagine a truck would do about the same.
Game cameras are handy. Every person in my yard gets their picture taken.

I'm not getting into the GPS tracker. But I can defeat those easy on the move, and even easier in storage. It'll catch amateurs, but I don't think any amateur can steal that truck, so I doubt it'll help much. The GPS trackers are handy to use when your truck gets towed from your own driveway. If you don't claim it in 90 days from the tow company, they get to keep it. (I hope that's no longer true, you'd think insurance agencies would spaz about this) Also: Don't freak out when your mechanic takes your truck to lunch, or home for the night, that's his job.

I forgot to mention too that the truck is also in the backyard behind a locked and chained gate as well. If they are gonna steal it, they are gonna have to drag her fat ass out front first. Oh, and three big dogs as well. I know it all sounds silly, but when there is a drug bust weekly, or a break in, you cant be too over the top. 3 house down, they went in the house right through the front door! That's ballsy man. That is totally the way people get shot. I have cameras too of course. I have one on the truck at all times that goes right to my phone. If there is any movement by it, I get an alert. It is a nice feature.

ellevehc86

The new Keyless Entry and Remote Start systems were touted as being secure because the data link was encoded. Simple man in the middle attacks defeat these easily. Never lock your vehicle with the key fob. Someone watching the vehicle can intercept the signal from the key fob. They now have the next roll over code expected by the vehicle and they can then clone your key fob. This is why you should never press the key fob twice because the first time you noticed it did not lock.

The other method of The guy can stand in your driveway and if your key fob is close enough in range he can ping it with a relay box. He can then gain entry and drive off.

WOW!!!! that is crazy. I had a gun locked up in my truck in a lockbox and it was stolen. I swear I locked my truck. I found my truck unlocked like fives times. I have always wondered if it was from that.

ellevehc86

An OBD-connected tracking device is useless as a security measure. The port is right by the driver's shins, plainly visible and you just have to pull the thing out of the port, there's no mechanical attachment, just a friction fit.

later model GMs have an anti-theft "feature" in the ignition switch. There's a fine yellow-coated wire from the keyswitch body to the engine computer and if the ignition is hotwired without a proper key turn, the vehicle will crank but not start. Downside is the wire is fragile and sometimes fails. It's called the PasscodeII system.
And it is also the wire that some killswitch systems interrupt.

PasscodeII was before they started putting chips in keys.

Mine is hard wired and hidden in about THE most inconvenient spot, lol. the OBD ones are more for fleet I think. I swear, when I installed my own remote start with phone access, I swear I accidentally grounded that wire! Truck was done and locked out. VERY embarrassing trip to the dealership.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Come on down to mid Ohio, when your done. Detroit is only getting worse. They celebrate it now.

Yes it was. Stop using key fob to lock and wrap the fob in aluminum foil when in the house. If you use the door lock switches before shutting doors alarm will still arm after you close the door.

ellevehc86

Come on down to mid Ohio, when your done. Detroit is only getting worse. They celebrate it now.

The suburbs are worse. Surprisingly, downtown is on the up and up. And coming from a Detroiter, I mean it! But the outer city, ugh. WARZONE. It is hard to even comprehend. As soon as I am done with my Doctorate, I am gone. Arizonia, here I come! I am leaving behind the $400 a month insurance bills too!

lugueto

Adventurer
I'll try to build upon what has been already said:

I forgot that newer vehicles have transponder-based immobilizers built into the ignition. These are very solid, almost infallible measures, and can pretty much make a kill switch reduntant or even useless. I was giving my opinion based on my vehicle, which doesn't have that feature. That being said, wiring a kill switch isn't necessarilly hard. But you need to be very careful doing it.

The GPS Trackers we use are actually pretty heavy duty. They're hard-wired, well hidden and very much integrated into the vehicle so you can't simply unplug the unit. I've tested them and I've gotten a lock on the vehicle while in the lowest level of a 4 story underground parking garage. They're constant on, it can notify you when the vehicle is turned on or when it is entering/leaving user-set digital boundaries on the map. It can also shut the vehicle off remotely using your phone. This last feature has saved us from three attempted carjackings on two of my Company's trucks. The last attempt we simply followed the truck from the office and shut it off right in front of a police station. Very effective, I highly recommend them.

One last thing, since you mentioned dogs: Thieves are usually dead scared of dogs. If you have a big black dog, even if its the friendliest, most mellow dog ever, it will deter thieves. A mildly trained dog will at the very least bark when someone approaches when dark. That is often enough to stop someone from breaking in. I personally believe that's one of the benefits of travelling with my dog, aside from sheer pleasure. He will bark and stand guard at anyone who approaches the camp or house i'm staying at when I'm asleep.

The GPS Trackers we use are actually pretty heavy duty. They're hard-wired, well hidden and very much integrated into the vehicle so you can't simply unplug the unit. I've tested them and I've gotten a lock on the vehicle while in the lowest level of a 4 story underground parking garage. They're constant on, it can notify you when the vehicle is turned on or when it is entering/leaving user-set digital boundaries on the map. It can also shut the vehicle off remotely using your phone. This last feature has saved us from three attempted carjackings on two of my Company's trucks. The last attempt we simply followed the truck from the office and shut it off right in front of a police station. Very effective, I highly recommend them.

Do you know the brand of GPS Tracker you use? Seems you use a Fleet type system which may not be available on an individual basis.
Following the links posted by the OP I did find an Asset Tracker that is hardwired and is self contained with a battery but can also be powered by the vehicle. This is good as it can work standalone.
You could place one in your trailer and your vehicle to follow them 24/7. Not going to protect from theft but will help in asset recovery. Granted we all want to punish the bad guy but recovering our property is key.
https://www.linxup.com/gps-trackers/asset-tracking-software-device.html

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Wow, that sucks. I can't imagine living like that...guess I'm pretty blase about security. I've lived in my house in the Minneapolis suburbs for 28 years, never had anything stolen. Come to think of it, I've never really had anything stolen even before that (knocking on wood).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles