Polluting vehicle restrictions in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTVR

You're in Amsterdam?

We've been all over Europe, but we've never been there- we were going to fly in to Amsterdam to inspect a U2150L38 (former French fire truck), but decided to go a different direction.

billiebob

We are heading for a massive reset. Thanks to the pandemic affecting those most vulnerable to respiratory illness. And thanks to the global shut down creating the cleanest air worldwide in 60 years. There will be new resolve around the world to eliminate pollution. I'm not saying Global Warming, the objective will be CLEAN air. Carbon reduction will just be a side benefit.

The diesel is already dead in the most polluted cities. India has made huge strides to convert diesel trucks and busses to CNG. In New Delhi when I was there 6 years ago even all the TukTuks had converted. Montana, Wyoming might not feel it but LA and NewYork are bound to join the anti diesel revolution soon.

These were all diesel, now they are all CNG. In third world India.... lol.
CNG is the transition fuel. Electricity is the goal.

Untitled 30.jpg

billiebob

Currently the fastest cars in the world are hybrids. With only 5 liter engines it is the electric motor pushing these street cars over 250mph.

With time that 5L gas engine will become a handicap.
This is one of the first.. more power with ethanol than straight gasoline.
"5.0 litre twin-turbo V8 engine producing 1280hp on standard gasoline and 1600hp on E85 biofuel"

And today, the hybrid power, gas/electric is the worlds fastest luxury road car.

All Koenigsegg engines are homologated for the worldwide market, including California

Technology, science is amazing, embrace it !

Last edited:

rholbrook

1st responders are cool with electric. We have classes and updates from manufacturers available to us fairly regularly. I’ve cut several hybrids on scenes and gone through full electric cars and scoped them out. No real “cut job” on a Tesla yet though!
Everything is well labled as far as high voltage (don’t cut anything bright blue or orange). They all have breakers that trip during accidents.
We were scared of airbags 20 years ago. Then gas charged struts. Then scared of magnesium. Then hybrids. You get the picture.
Everything is scary at first. But as products change, firefighters and medics adapt too.
I worry much more about lightweight home construction and petrochemicals in your furniture.
The safety of vehicles these days almost takes the fun out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

Racing, speed and quarter mile champs means NOTHING when discussing TRANSPORTATION vehicles used for everyday TRANSPORTATION!
lol replies the guy with the hashtag vintage racer, But yes it does matter because all those racing stats set the course to direct everyday transporation design and engineering and development. Do you buy the pickup with the worst hauling stats or the best stats. Same for the guys designing what we drive. They look at those racing, hauling, speed champions and design the cars we buy. Even Honda used Formula One. The record holder for Pikes Peak is a pure electric VW.

Lovetheworld

You're in Amsterdam?

We've been all over Europe, but we've never been there- we were going to fly in to Amsterdam to inspect a U2150L38 (former French fire truck), but decided to go a different direction.

Yes, I live in Amsterdam. I can investigate cars and export them if you want, I've done that before as a service. Although it is not my daily job.
But I thought there was this big unimog trader in the south of the country, anyway, you have a truck now.

Back on topic, diesels are typically more efficient than petrol, but here in Europe with commuter cars being diesel, it pollutes the cities. Not as bad as Asia, but still I am happy with this pollution zones.
I can't wait for cities to only have electric transportation. Or even better, bring back the roads through the city. It will make the cities a much nicer place. Anyway, we are moving out of the city.
Reading my posts back it seems as though it is very dramatic. It is not, we have very clean cities compared to what I have seen in Asia. But I know we can do better.

Anyway, the typical European overlander can have an issue with the pollution zones, because they typically drive an old diesel.

There are some exceptions, I believe in Germany, when your car is registered as campervan / RV.

MTVR

Thanks, but we already bought a different truck.

Yes, the air in some Asian cities is bad. The last time we were in Seoul, we were told that just breathing the air there is the equivalent of smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, and I'd believe that- even the buildings pick up a patina from that brown air.

billiebob

Heres what's possible with solar.

And we have friends in CO who generate enough solar electricity that they get a cheque every month from the utility company for feeding the excess back into the grid.

Alloy

Expect plenty of incentives over the next 10 years to make the pure electric vehicle the standard. And public acceptance is growing fast especially with the success of the electric bicycle.

Its coming but it takes a positive mind set to get there.

In Canada we borrow from the bank to pay for incentives. Between Prov& Fed debt each of us now owes about $55,000. You want to borrow more?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yes I also have a classic MR2 next to our 4x4 diesel.

But you also post a Prius on a race track. And a Model 3 next to an RS6.
The big news should be that there are now commuter cars almost as fast as an RS6.

This Model 3 is sold a lot, it is very fast, yet it can be the most efficient car on the road.

And guess what, if you drive around on the street, do you see everybody racing? Is everybody using their car on the race track?
No, people are getting from A to B. An electric car will do that far better, more efficient and more comfortable.

Here in Europe we have lots of normal cars also in diesel. And even these new cars smell like hell.
Getting stuck in a traffic jam in a tunnel around Amsterdam is the worst, even though there are many new cars.
Europe's highly populated and I don't know if you'd be far from a charger. America's spread out aside from the cities it's way less densely populated. When electric's can recharge as fast as someone pumping fuel they'll be viable here. They're ideal for urban use for home owners who can recharge overnight. If I was living in an apartment complex good luck competing for the sparse chargers if any.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
In Canada we borrow from the bank to pay for incentives. Between Prov& Fed debt each of us now owes about $55,000. You want to borrow more?
We're in debt up to our ears in America. 11 million at least not paying into Social Security and Medicare funding and still sucking up entitlements. 1/3 of California residents are on some kind of relief. With Biden's border crisis the people expecting a free ride is rising exponentially . Kamala visited El Paso where the Wall is up. Maybe a trip to the Rio Grande would have been more educationa?l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles