Vehicle Modding Is Dead In the European Union; Now What?

D

Deleted member 9101

Meh... My wifes next vehicle will be electric. No matter how I spin it, a 100% EV makes much more sense than an ICE.

85_Ranger4x4

It is easier to transport electricity to rural areas via transmission lines than to plug the highways with tanker trucks. The distriburion of electricity already exists. And it is more than adequate since we can schedule charging cars in the wee hours when load is minimized.

If you don't like the ultra rich controlling resources, quit voting for the party cutting their taxes.

The roads are not plugged with tankers now.

There will be tankers in the country for the foreseeable future. Electric is barely starting to compete with ICE for cars, it is nowhere close to touching diesels in farm equipment. Like not even on the same map.

A couple big lithium batteries would make combine fires a lot more entertaining though...

Gas caught on before electric because of greater range and easy "recharge". 100 years later and they are still trying to deal with that.

I do worry as people have thrown around wanting to raise taxes and whatnot on fuel to push people electric. Not everybody can afford a new car... I guess I could get a horse to ride around. But wait, hay/feed prices would go nuts too.

Last edited:

Old Tanker

It is easier to transport electricity to rural areas via transmission lines than to plug the highways with tanker trucks. The distriburion of electricity already exists. And it is more than adequate since we can schedule charging cars in the wee hours when load is minimized.

If you don't like the ultra rich controlling resources, quit voting for the party cutting their taxes.

There is not sufficient generation capacity to replace ICE engines, and the required new generation capacity will require new transmission lines. Misguided attempts to replace reliable power with wind and solar would make things far worse. Estimates are that replacing current U.S. power capacity (without the added demands of electric vehicles) with wind would require 12% of the nation's land area - an area twice the size of California. Furthermore, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory estimates that converting the domestic electric grid to run on renewables will require roughly doubling the amount of high-voltage transmission capacity in the U.S. - that's another 240,000 miles of transmission lines.

Wind and solar are ecologically destructive and hideously expensive. Their only benefit is the creation of large government programs that can slide money into the pockets of the political class.

D

Deleted member 9101

Electric cars, are in fact ,coal burning cars. Most people have no idea where electricity comes from.
Mine comes from two nuclear plants and a lot of natural gas....plus my house has 4kw of PV on the roof ;-)

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . . Fact is if Henrys whim had been electric cars..... we'd be driving them today.
. . . Mass production, marketing is the only difference.
. . . I hear NASCAR is looking at a series for electric stock cars.... that'll be kool.

Fact is Henry Ford loved electric cars: he bought Detroit Electric cars for his family. When he chose ICE battery, battery charging technology, and fuel distribution were the deciding factors - not marketing.

As to racing: I have witnessed an electric 'top fuel' dragster go down the track; not interested.
But I will pay good money to watch fuelies and funny cars race at night.
The winning VW Pikes Peak car sounded like an RC car writ large.
Which technology is faster is totally up to the rules writers.
I don't think there is an electric race car of any type that will beat a cup car in a 500 mile race.

nicholastanguma

Los Angeles, San Francisco
Europe has so much vintage racing history and culture, my concern was that this stuff was going to be axed in one fell swoop. But now it seems this glorious stuff will survive in most countries.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Tamara Salhab, press officer for TfL, said: ‘We recognise the important role that historic vehicles play in preserving London’s culture and history and their relatively low impact on pollution due to their small numbers.

Sounds like a totally effective plan to limit them to improve air quality then...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles