Vehicle laws and restrictions: EU, Uk and neighboring areas

Tanksoldier

In addition to emissions restrictions I know many countries have specific laws regarding what is and is not allowed, snd what is required in vehicles on their roads. Modified suspension, tire size, safety vests, first aid kits, etc.

Is there a single place to find this information?

I’d like to do a trip from Lisbon to Istanbul along the Mediterranean in our 97 Jeep TJ…. it is incredibly easy to maneuver in cities…. but it has been moderately modified for trail rides here in the US.

7841B835-5FE6-457E-8664-8E75E5A9EFAB.jpeg

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
For UK registered vehicles driving in Europe this is a useful country by country breakdown of what is needed to be carried:

Bear in mind the language used is referring to UK licences etc, and they followed a common format throughout the EU so things were identical in layout etc, not requiring translation.

Hope that helps somewhat,

Ed

billiebob

The single source is the vehicle regulations of the country you are visiting.
Single source will be a resource compiled by outsiders and like any internet source you need to accept the fact that it will likely miss key points,
EDIT.... the EU is likely universal but since BREXIT.... the UK might have exceptions.

If your vehicle is stock and legal in the USA you might be good to go.....

Unless you want to go to Australia.... in which case it MUST be right hand drive.
But before you leave the USA is your Jeep even legal here ?????

Things like, fenders must cover the tire,
fenders/mudflaps must extend to the wheel centerline.
no lights can be higher than the stock headlight cenerline.

Seldom enforced but broken daily by everyday overlanders here,

On average, a stock USA vehicle will be legal in Europe.
I think you break two USA rules...... tires past the fender and a lack of mudflaps..... altho we seem to care less. Europe might care more.

ps, Lisbon to Istanbul....., my wife did that on a bicycle..... you could save the shipping and all the rest by renting there... 4WD is not required.

Last edited:

Tanksoldier

ps, Lisbon to Istanbul....., my wife did that on a bicycle..... you could save the shipping and all the rest by renting there... 4WD is not required.

I want to do it in the Jeep just because…. I had a little Audi when I was stationed in Germany, and we drive a nice diesel BMW around Austria and Germany a few years ago.

We could buy something for less than a year’s rental, but I just like the Jeep.

The whole plan is to live around Europe snd maybe further, renting for a month in interesting locations then moving on.

Right now, looking like shipping to UK, exploring the UK for the 6 months we can drive a foreign registered vehicle there, moving over to the EU and doing the same, getting to Turkey before the EU 6 months are up….

billiebob

I want to do it in the Jeep just because…. I had a little Audi when I was stationed in Germany, and we drive a nice diesel BMW around Austria and Germany a few years ago.

We could buy something for less than a year’s rental, but I just like the Jeep.

The whole plan is to live around Europe snd maybe further, renting for a month in interesting locations then moving on.

Right now, looking like shipping to UK, exploring the UK for the 6 months we can drive a foreign registered vehicle there, moving over to the EU and doing the same, getting to Turkey before the EU 6 months are up….
All good but the Jeep you own is not even legal in most of North America. We might ignore the infractions, I bet Europe might not. Google each countries vehicle regulations, ask questions about specific issues, this is on you to find the answers. Not on us to say "good to go" YOU need the documentation

PS, a TJR owner, I love my JEEP too but it is on me to find the actual statutes I MUST comply with crossing the border.... even when that border is the USA/.CDN Border. And I'm not going to rely on a forum....., I'll go to the state I plan on visiting.

It is incredible how many go to Australia with a LHD vehilcle and ship ot home without leaving the dock. Most got good to go from the internet.

The obvious problems with your TJ..... tires extend past the fenders, mud flaps/fenders do not extend to the axle centerline. And thats just what is visible in one photo. Are you expecting Europe to ignore the things we do? Start by making yer TJ compliant in the USA.

EDIT

Much of "what is compliant" on international travel goes beyond the "regulations" to "do we really want you here"...... that can end an expedition faster than anything. There are a few threads on here about being turned back because diplomatic relations soured. All the more reason to delve into the countries regulations you plan to visit and stay current with those relations.

Last edited:

tanuki.himself

contrary to previous posts EU countries are NOT consistent with what they require visiting vehicles from other countries to carry and be equipped with - France has new rules on blind spot (angles morts) stickers for vehicles over 3500kg, Spain requires nationality stickers separate to those on the number plate and is replacing warning triangles with high intensity flashing beacons just as the examples i know off the top of my head, and each infraction can be an expensive fine.

Actually, for temporary import up to 1 year for foreign tourists, Australia does NOT require RHD. At least they didn’t 2009-11. For vehicles like mine, >3.5 (metric) tons, one must put a big sticker on the back “left hand drive”. The rules may have changed since 2011, but a decade ago the sticker was the only requirement. I had spare RHD headlight lenses that I never had to install.
I even got a 1 year extension with little trouble from customs via the AAA.
The biggest hassle is of course the cleaning requirements. And the carnet de passage et douane.
One other thing: if using roro it’s cheaper to ship to Antwerp and then to Perth than LA to Brisbane by a factor of 2, or more. And avoid US ports; Halifax is much better in several critical respects.

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
contrary to previous posts EU countries are NOT consistent with what they require visiting vehicles from other countries to carry and be equipped with - France has new rules on blind spot (angles morts) stickers for vehicles over 3500kg, Spain requires nationality stickers separate to those on the number plate and is replacing warning triangles with high intensity flashing beacons just as the examples i know off the top of my head, and each infraction can be an expensive fine.

I may not have been clear in my post, but the reason I used the The AA in the UK is that I know that they're one of the 2 peak bodies (the other being the RAC) and that they have always had quite a good handle on what's happening with rules of the member states.

I should probably have said the following; additions in bold, deletions crossed through.

When I had For UK registered vehicles and driving in Europe this is was a useful country by country breakdown of what is needed to be carried (and is in English):

Bear in mind the language/terms used is referring to UK licences etc, and they followed a common format throughout the EU so things were identical in layout etc, not requiring translation.

Hope that helps somewhat,

Ed

Last point to the OP; have you checked visa requirements and the time you can spend in the Schengen Zone?

You can only do 90 days in a 180 day period at a time in the Schengen Zone, so you may need to have a plan for that.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Actually, for temporary import up to 1 year for foreign tourists, Australia does NOT require RHD........ snip.....
The biggest hassle is of course the cleaning requirements.
Correct.
The cleaning requirement is "spotless", inside and out. Any sign of soil that may carry seeds and it will need commercial cleaning before release from the port which is expensive and time consuming.
Your vehicle will need to be registered and fully LEGAL in the country of origin. I doubt your (the OP's) vehicle is.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
You will be fine no worries. Just make sure to have proper insurance.

We shipped and drove a 1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine from New York to Plymouth and then down to Mali.
I am pretty sure it did not meet every single regulation of every country we crossed...

:)

1641749649082.png

Tanksoldier

Not on us to say "good to go" YOU need the documentation

I don’t recall asking anyone on the forum to tell me I’m good to go, I recall asking if there was a single place to find the information.

contrary to previous posts EU countries are NOT consistent with what they require visiting vehicles from other countries to carry and be equipped with -

The plan is to get or do everything we need to be compliant with everybody.

Last point to the OP; have you checked visa requirements and the time you can spend in the Schengen Zone?

I‘m just starting to figure this all out, but my understanding was that you can get a long-stay (1yr) visa from one country in the zone, then spend 90/180 in each of the other countries in the zone. So the plan right now is to figure out which country we want to spend the most time in is, and get the long-stay visa there.

For example, we’re thinking about getting the long-stay from France. Start the trip in the UK, then Chunnel to France, drive down to Lisbon and then start west. From turkey we would ferry back to France and spend any time remaining on our visa there.

Last edited:

Snake CZ

Observer
You will not find one place where to find the info. What is legal in Germany isn´t legal in Austria, what is legal in Italy, isn´t legal in Czech. But basics are written here:
- The wheels shall not be wider then car = install some flares or put smaller tires on
- at least at the rear should be the mud flaps
- rear fog light must be max 60cm of the ground (but more or less it isn´t demanded)
- the front bumper shall not be only a piece of steel. Give it some corners and avoid sharp corners on the car.

TJ was allowed for Europe in this shape, you can be +5 without any problems if it will be from first view clear that no pedestrian will be hurt when walking around your rig :-D

1643550871352.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles