Vehicle for Family of 6 Camping Trips

da/dt

Wild idea, what about a Toyota 4runner SR5 5th gen with 3rd row. Under $20K for the vehicle. Then spend the rest of the money on a trailer which can carry your stuff and give at least 1 RTT.
While not applicable to this thread, I really want to know where you can get a 2014-15 4Runner for under $20k? I’ll buy 10 of them.

DortchRules

As being part of the expedition/overlanding community, in my opinion, the EarthRoamer is hands down the best expedition based RV. With that being said, it comes with a hefty price tag - the F-550 version will run new at around a half a million dollars and the F-650 version around three-quarters of a million dollars. These Earth Roamers are custom built in Colorado to your specifications with different floor plans, interior colors, etc.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
As being part of the expedition/overlanding community, in my opinion, the EarthRoamer is hands down the best expedition based RV. With that being said, it comes with a hefty price tag - the F-550 version will run new at around a half a million dollars and the F-650 version around three-quarters of a million dollars. These Earth Roamers are custom built in Colorado to your specifications with different floor plans, interior colors, etc.
Yeahhhh..... I don't think that fits the budget mentioned in the first post..... He also already purchase a vehicle as mentioned above.

EDIT: I somehow missed that he already bought a vehicle. But some of the info in my comment might still help someone else. To the OP, solid choice and good luck with the Yukon XL!
You got some good answers already but here are my thoughts:
Go with a full size suv or a full size van (not a minivan).
We have an Expedition EL with a 2nd row bench, so it seats 8. We have 2 car seats in the 2nd row (middle seat and passenger side seat). We keep the drivers side seat empty so we can fold it down to access the 3rd row, or so that my wife or I can sit next to the kids if needed. But you could definitely fit 3 car seats across.
The issue with standard length SUVs (expedition, sequoia, Tahoe) is there won’t be much cargo space behind the 3rd row. But if there’s only 6 I guess you could fold down part of the 3rd row if it has a split.
But the best bet would be an extended length suv. It will give you a lot more cargo space (expedition EL/MAX, suburban, Yukon xl). I agree you don’t need a Excursion but a suburban or Exp EL would be great. Mine has enough space behind the 3rd row to have a 44qt fridge lengthwise.
But vans are a good too. We were thinking of buying a 15pax E-350 and taking out the last 3 rows of seats and doing a little camper conversion, but we the expedition makes a much better daily driver so we’re sticking with that

Last edited:

ssalvat

Yeah, I did already buy the Yukon XL, and I must say, that extra foot of trunk space does matter. We crammed every square inch of that truck with gear :)

A while back I did consider getting a 4Runner as it will fit 7, so it would work to drive the kids around town, but no way could we road trip in it. I guess maybe if we wanted to fill up a trailer, but there's still a lot of stuff you need handy (cooler for lunch, sleeping gear for naps, etc.) that needs to be in the main vehicle, so maybe not. Also, at least in Colorado, they're phenomenally expensive. So far I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles