Vehicle Choices

k5-cj5

Acquired 3 diff vehicles over the last few months. 89 suburban 2500 (350 TH400), 02 k1500 eclb (350 NV4500), and 74 k20 lb (350 TH350). Was originally leaning toward the sub, but we have been looking at the cab overs for off road and so am reconsidering. Thinking of building the 92 with SAS VS the sub and rooftop tent. Anyone have experience with a GMT400 and cab over vs square body sub and roof top tent? Or build the 74 K20 (although a little short on cab space.

Attachments

• 74 K20 side.JPG
    74 K20 side.JPG
    812.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 89 sub inside.JPG
    89 sub inside.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 89 sub side.JPG
    89 sub side.JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 92 k1400 front 1.JPG
    92 k1400 front 1.JPG
    616.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 92 k1400 front.JPG
    92 k1400 front.JPG
    761.5 KB · Views: 30

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Hmm, my taste leans to the Sub. But not with a RTT. You got enough space inside the burb to haul a lot and still sleep inside it. That does depend on how many are going to with you too.

Ideally I'd combine some of the parts you got. Namely the nv4500 trans from the '92 truck into the burb. Two main pro's that come from that. First the '92 4500 is the early deep first gear version, which really comes in handy off road. The next item is the OD. Having OD will help on the highway and eek out a little better fuel economy.

The downside is making the swap happen. You'll need to find a clutch/brake pedal setup for the manual trans, which needs to be for a hydraulic clutch. They are out there, but they are typically pricy. Then you have to source a bellhousing since the '92 will have the clutch slave cylinder on the same side as your front driveshaft. It can work if you have enough lift or you pony up the funds for an Advanced Adaptor's conversion bellhousing. It would allow the use of the stock squarebody clucth hydrualic system.

I'm not going to deny, it's not the easiest thing to do, but it's very rewarding in making an old truck much more usable.

Personally, I'd go with the square body truck if a bed camper is in your future. Those 90's Chevy trucks typically need a lot of maintenance and tbi was not GM's greatest moment. Also having the solid axle up front on the older truck already saves you time not to mention it's a 3/4 ton. If going suburban, update and maintain whatever needs it and just drive it. Keep the 92 as a daily driver/work truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k5-cj5

Well it looks like I will be building the 92 and the 74. Selling the sub (Gotta have the bed). Ill be starting a build thread shortly. Will be doing an ls swap on the 92, eventually, and started looking for the front diff I need.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Swap the burb front outers onto the truck (or the entire axle if they're the same ratio). The late "internal" hubs are MUCH better than the early"external" style. The early d44 may be the heavy wall one, best setup is probably to put the burn outers on the truck axle. Great time to do ball joints...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz