Vario 614 Air Handbrake Issues

Jimmy roots

I am having problems with the air handbrake on my 614d merc. The compressor powers up and air is getting to first tank but not the second one and light on dash doesn't go out. I bought the vehicle with the problem and it is disconnected at rear clevis pins. Any ideas where to look next? Should the tanks fill at the same time or one then other?

BigTom

I can't comment on a fix for the problem, but for what it's worth, my 814DA dash gauges show air in both at the same time. Not one after the other. I have noted that one side appears to initially show over the red line but then settles down after a few miles.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Almost certainly it will be a faulty or sticking distribution valve. I think it is fitted on the air tank,normally it will have an adjustment screw in, possibly covered with a plastic bung. You can try tapping it to dislodge what's making it stick or try turning each adjuster screw slightly, but you will probably find they are siezed..
If you go to Mercedes they will supply the right one, or a good commercial factor will probably be cheaper.
They are not hard to change but mark up the pipes to make sure they are in the same position..

Check to see if both tanks have air in by pulling the drain taps, if one does not that's the tank for the parking system.

FYI, the park brake is applied by spring force , and the air releases the brake making it fail safe if you loose all the air from the system..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles