Vanners in the path of Irma, what's your plans?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm in Jacksonville, FL. If this storm gets close, I'm going to the North Carolina mountains.
I'm playing it safe.
You?

Also, storm Jose is brewing close behind.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I don't think I'm that special to be the only van here in Florida I do see them from time to time... actually today I saw a clean green Sportsmobile in the heart of Jacksonville. As I mentioned if they predict / high probability for here then Friday morning I'll take to the north unless there is a drastic change.

Hopefully I can keep working straight through so I can afford van camp this Nov!

another_mike

Adventurer
I'm in south Florida with a possibility for a direct hit. I'll stay if it gets bad, if it skirts us to the south or stays east off the coast far enough that we only get tropical storm winds, then I'll be taking off for Colorado.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dont wait long. Roads out will be parking lots. Miami Mayor just told folks thinking about leaving to go NOW.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I was hysterical laughing.
Just a few minutes ago I pulled into a gas station that had all the pumps covered with plastic bags except diesel. So I proceeded to fill my tank and as I was filling, everybody on the street thought the gas pumps working so they kept pulling up to me and asking do they have gas? My response nope just diesel.
I'm kinda evil lol

Traffic is a mess, I'm working tomorrow then I'll leave Fri morning if the storm keeps aiming for N
Florida.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Maybe I'm skittish, but when in doubt, GTFO.

We've evacuated three times due to firestorms. Granted that's not the same amount of driving as what's needed to get out of the path of a hurricane, but I've got a family to protect. If I were in Florida yesterday, I'd be in north Georgia by today...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
People aren't going to get far. Most stations have no fuel.
Yup fuel has always been the issue. My grandfather lost his first plane in Florida in 43 I think. WWII surplus plane. He was just returning from his last transport flight when he had to take the Active AF rig to a safe zone. By the time he connected with a pilot buddy to fly his plane outathere no fuel left at the airport.

Good friend in Hollywood FL has a big center console behind his house that goes on a heavy lift. Narrow canal all the neighbors around him have set up heavy tie points they run lines across to each other to secure ie tie down boats. He keeps the tanks full and has a fuel transfer system so he can fuel house generator or his car. The house is a concrete block with steel storm doors, shutters etc. They closed up the place Tuesday and told his employees to take a northern vacation asap. He left yesterday

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Yup, I'll be leaving for the NC mountains about 6am.
I'm not sticking around til the last minute like so many people. I don't get that kind of logic?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I was hysterical laughing.
Just a few minutes ago I pulled into a gas station that had all the pumps covered with plastic bags except diesel. So I proceeded to fill my tank and as I was filling, everybody on the street thought the gas pumps working so they kept pulling up to me and asking do they have gas? My response nope just diesel.
I'm kinda evil lol

Yeah I really like having deep diesel tanks on my truck. 100 gallons takes me a long way. I just have the standard (chopped) tank on my E-350 but want to add a secondary where the spare used to hang.

another_mike

Adventurer
Maybe I'm skittish, but when in doubt, GTFO.

We've evacuated three times due to firestorms. Granted that's not the same amount of driving as what's needed to get out of the path of a hurricane, but I've got a family to protect. If I were in Florida yesterday, I'd be in north Georgia by today...

Being as far south as I am, it would take too long to flee, then I'd have to fight the same traffic as everyone tries to get back in at the same time.

My place is all reinforced cinder block to the roof with impact windows. I expect to lose power and water. I'm more worried about the potential damage to my van from debris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94